back to article NBN Co to deploy DOCSIS 3.1 from 2017

NBN Co, the company building Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN), has announced that from 2017 it will offer DOCSIS 3.1 over the hybrid fibre-coax (HFC) networks it acquired from Telstra and Optus. The announcement is surprising because just two-and-a-half weeks ago, on February 23rd, NBN Co spoke of designing its …

1. mathew42
    Alert

NBN speed tiers

> If the NBN forks into 100Mbps-capable and 10Gbps-capable branches, what's a developer to do? Develop for the lesser service and the faster offering? Or go for the lowest common denominator?

Sadly the lowest common denominator on FTTP NBN is 12Mbps. NBNCo have a media release on their website (http://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-releases/nbn-co-tracks-towards-full-year-targets-as-network-transitions-to-new-rollout-model.html) which has an attached presentation with a slide showing that 38% of fibre customers have selected 12Mbps speed and a further 38% selected 25Mbps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NBN speed tiers

And like a parrot, matthew42 trots out the old 12Mb/s line again. When will you realise, with FTTH, it takes just a simple golden screwdriver upgrade and any customer that needs more than 12Mb/s can get it. The same can't be said for a copper pair that is already running at beyond its maximum capacity.

1. mathew42
        Holmes

> FTTH, it takes just a simple *golden* screwdriver upgrade

I think your choice of the word *golden* conveys the perfect meaning. You will need plenty of spare cash to purchase 1Gbps with the current pricing model.

> And like a parrot, matthew42 trots out the old 12Mb/s line again

Before it was based on Labor's predictions. Now we have the actual numbers and with 38% on fibre choosing to connect at 12Mbps and a further 38% choosing to connect at 25Mbps it is clear that the take-up of speed tiers was probably the most accurate of Labor's predictions in the NBNCo Corporate Plan.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> *choosing* to connect at 12Mbps

You've used the right word there. However, I can't help but read your comments as though -- because customers are choosing to connect at only 12 - 25Mbps, which I concede is fine for *todays* services, including streaming of HD movies -- you support building a hobbled network that tops out that those speeds, rather than building a network that supports those speeds today but can scale well beyond those speeds, supporting yet unknown applications and services tomorrow.

2. marky_boi

Yeah but what's the uplink speed???

Working from home? slow uplink?? might as well have ADSL still.... High speed uplink allows for a more normal work from home experience, I know I live this 3 times a week..... I can still dream of fibre to the house .... sigh......

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RS232 over fibre

Yeah, I've got an pair of old 9600bps RS232 over fibre transceivers laying about somewhere. Makes it easy to achieve "fibre speeds for cable customers" when fibre scales both *down* and up in capacity.

4. Neoc

Stupid concept

Every time it rains the old rotting Telstra copper cables take a hit, making my land line crackle until I call them to fix it (at one point, it was almost unusable). And I don't live out in the bush - I live 10km from the centre of a State capital.

Turnbull's NBN would keep that self-same copper to provide me "broadband". I won't hold my breath as to the quality of service this will provide in my area.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like