back to article Nest seeks audio talent to delight … someone

Google subsidiary Nest has decided the next thing to be Internet of Thinged is going to be the sound system, and wants to get there first. Shortly after irritating Dropcam users by telling them to create a Nest account – even if they don't own any Nest product – Nest has posted advertisements seeking someone to head up Nest …

1. MrT

Sounds a bit extreme...

“You're listening to Taylor Swift. Would you like to try Taylor Swift next?” Her music's not that bad...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@MrT

I would like to try, convict and sentence Taylor Swift.

3. Steve Crook

Who is Taylor Swift?

I'm too busy being Shpongled to find out.

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Stop

Hifi that talks to me?

No, I don't think so, thanks.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: Hifi that talks to me?

But imagine the possibilities! While you're asleep it can whisper to you about things you should buy.

5. Warm Braw

Redefine consumer audio experiences

I can't imagine the redefinition will include improving the quality of the sound or the material, so whatever it is, it's going to be horrid.

6. Christopher Reeve's Horse

aren't you thrilled?

I'm not sure how I could easily be less thrilled.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

No thanks...

I don't think Google can handle my taste in music...

8. dc_m

So I'd have to pick up my phone, make sure it's connected to wifi and is charged, unlock it, log into the app with a username and password.

I have a much quicker method with my current system. Anybody remember the remote control? Much faster

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      WTF?

Anybody remember getting off their bleedin' arse and turning a fucking knob?

My gawd, aren't we the lazy sods?

2. Patrick Bateman

Voice control for connected home devices

And why isn't anyone talking about the possibility of them taking audio *inputs*? Surely that's the way things are / should be heading, since yes, it is a pain in the arse to have to take an app out to control your connected household devices (even if it's an app that's managed to consolidate a bunch of them - which is what Nest are up to). Look at Amazon Echo...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obvious candidate would be Sean Adams.

10. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

I was robbed

Google will be able to tell when you're drunk and playing old sentimental music. Then they will bombard you with adverts in the hope that you'll impulse buy something.

For sale: Unused, The Carpenters greatest hits box set :)

<goes off to delete history in Google dashboard>

11. Daggerchild Silver badge
    Angel

Speculation!

That Nest is going for audio speakers is all wild and unfounded speculation!

They're going to be eavesdropping devices of course :)

1. Sporkinum
      Big Brother

Re: Speculation!

Technically, speakers can be used as microphones, so with a little programming magic in a wireless speaker, it could certainly be done. GOOGLE!

12. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Facepalm

That's a brilliantly refreshing idea. A remote controllable WiFi music player. They could call it something catchy like "SoundBridge" or "Squeezebox." Maybe it could disguise itself as a tabletop clock while it's idle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like