back to article Augmented reality: Who needs immersive worlds when you've got it all?

While Google Glass and the odd knock-offs on the Oculus Rift VR concept was being mused upon at the Wearable Tech Show in 2014, at this year’s event in London this week, the headgear had a lot more to offer. Although the only mention of Google Glass you’d hear was its absence and its impact on the public’s sensitivity to privacy …

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Could be very useful in some situations, and in environments were the drawbacks (looking goofy) don't matter - i.e workshops, construction sites, studios.

I've said it before - a 'smart workshop' would be lovely, where a physical work-piece becomes a CAD sketch plane, a virtual model taking its references from real pre-existing features.

2. Tom 7

No. Just No!!!

Sitting here with temporary vision loss in one eye from a child playing a computer game without immersive headsets on so she could actually see me and still hit me!

Many years ago I used to find it amusing to listen to people singing along with walkmans on the tube. Now we have threats of violence. Fuck knows what's going to happen with the entitled trying them out on in crowded public spaces.

1. Cryo

Re: No. Just No!!!

The article is focused almost entirely on augmented reality, which involves projecting objects and information over your surroundings, without actually blocking out your view of what's around you. The headset discussed here isn't even intended as a consumer-level device, so it's probably not something your child will be using. Of course, there will be more-immersive VR headsets coming soon as well, which will block out one's view of the outside world, but you of course have the option of not buying one for your child if you think it could result in eye-poking.

On the other hand, I should point out that had you been wearing an AR headset yourself, it might have protected your eye from getting poked. : 3

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Do any of these 'augmented reality' glasses

actually use some sort of LCD-like selective shuttering over an area before projecting their own image onto it, or is it always going to be a semi-transparent ghost reliant on the projector being brighter than the background? Because frankly, the latter seems just a bit shit, like the difference between current holographic technology and what you see in sci-fi telly and movies.

5. Yugguy

It's all fun and games

Until it sucks out your memories and injects them into your clone.

1. launcap Silver badge

Re: It's all fun and games

>Until it sucks out your memories and injects them into your clone

I thought that The Computer was keeping all your clones up-to-date in realtime anyway?

The Computer is your Friend!

1. DaneB
        Megaphone

Until it gives you migraines and you get punched for looking like a dick.

2. Mark 85

Well.... then how do you know if you're the clone or the clone is the clone?

1. EddieD

If it's that accurate, does it matter?

This was explored in story of the Trigan Empire in Look and Learn, round about 1971, which is when I first wondered about it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like