back to article Going on holiday? Mexico wants your personal data

European airlines could soon be forced to break citizens’ right to privacy if they want to fly to Mexico. Mexican authorities have decided to implement a "passenger name record" (PNR) scheme from 1 April. PNR data encompasses all the information airlines hold on their passengers – from credit card details, phone numbers and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't really matter...

I'd be more concerned about accidental murder by drugs gang than privacy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doesn't really matter...

"I'd be more concerned about accidental murder by drugs gang than privacy."

PNR all the info they need to ship small drug packets to your house while you're on holiday. Their EU distributor can pick it up from your house when they're sure it's safe to do so, if not you get the rap on your return, nice holiday present.

2. anonymousI

Re: Doesn't really matter...

And Mexico is far from alone in saying "all your details belong to us".

PRChina, among others, has some interesting information requirements which go even further.

2. elDog

I'm liking this Dutch MEP Sophie In ’t Veld

She's shown up on the right side of privacy several times.

I've also learned not to tangle with the Dutch unless you want a long argument and a losing position.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: a long argument and a losing position.

Yeah... she really reminds me of my wife...

2. John Sturdy
      Thumb Up

Re: I'm liking this Dutch MEP Sophie In ’t Veld

Even more encouragingly, she's on the USA's Secondary Screen Selection list: http://www.expatica.com/nl/news/country-news/Dutch-MEP-a-security-risk_157801.html

Perhaps that's just for supporting privacy, though.

3. Richard Jones 1
    Happy

PNR Data

Declare no dietary information - Check

Cash charged type credit card for airfare - Check

Email, for this use only account. - Check

Phone number, more tricky but perhaps a disposable mobile telephone - check

Or do not bother with Mexico, too much drug based crime for some tastes -Checkmate.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: PNR Data

Indeed, there is little point in going to Mexico, it'll be the same western-centric resorts that you can find in dozens of other places. Mexico just happens to be the cheapest place for Americans and Canadians to fly to, but if you are flying in from the EU, it'd be just as cheap to fly to one of the Caribbean or South American nations. Especially now that Cuba is opening and is starving for tourism dollars.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I beg to differ. The Mayan ruins on the Yucutan and the Aztec/Toltec ruins around Mexico City are very cool, and the Mexican people are among the best I have ever met in my travels. However, the cops outside the tourist areas can be pretty corrupt if they see "generic rich westerner" in the neighborhood.

1. Rob 5

I could have mentioned the EU-USA PNR agreement, as somebody downthread did.

Or, I could have observed that, like the person upthread, I feel no pressing need to visit Mexico (despite my living within driving distance of it).

But I didn't do either of those things, did I? Oh, no.

Instead I just had to remark that, at first glance, I read "...the Aztec/Toltec ruins around Mexico City) as "the Aztec Toilet ruins around Mexico City".

And I'm probably going to hell for that.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
            Coat

"the Aztec Toilet ruins around Mexico City". around Mexico City"."

Or "the Aztec Toilet runs"?

Mine's the one with the spare loo roll in the pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> it'll be the same western-centric resorts that you can find in dozens of other places

In my limitted experience, that need not be the case. Such resorts certainly exist - e.g. Cancun, whose airport I passed through - but there is plenty of "unspoilt" country left. And the arcaeology definitely makes a visit worthwhile.

One trick is to avoid anything that is air conditioned (hotels, buses, taxis etc.). They will be full of Americans. Instead, travel and stay with the locals and many European tourists in the non-aircon establishments.

My main complaint was the agro from souvenir sellers inside the archaeological sites. In some places, especially Teotihuacan, they were very agressive and very numerous.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. hplasm
      Terminator

Email:casework@ico.org.uk

Phone number :+441625 545 745

They work for us...so why not?

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    FAIL

EU citizen, your PNR data is private!

Unless the other country wants it.

So don't say the EU doesn't do anything for you.

1. Mark 85
      Black Helicopters

Re: EU citizen, your PNR data is private!

Don't worry about it. The 5-eyes already have it. I just wish they would return it when they're done with it.

5. NoneSuch Silver badge

The Bahamas and Bermuda are nice this time of year.

1. phil dude
      Meh

or guam...

if you watch JOLNTW...

P.

6. Conrad Richardshon

It can have it...

...in exchange for a bullet-proof vest!

7. Mark 85

What the hell do they want dietary information for? Unless there's something there like "halal". Or credit card info unless someone (drug cartel?) needs it for "expenses"? Very weird...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

"dietary requirements"

Just enter "Mucho cerveza, tequila blanca, mezcal, carnitas, puerco naranja, pollo en mole, pescado frito, tacos al vapor" in this box on the form. :)

9. Tromos

Do as the EU does

Mexico could drop the requirement for PNR data from the airlines and request it from the passengers themselves. As the EU requires all non-EU passengers to fill out a landing card, there cannot be any objections to the reciprocal process. For my personal convenience, just let them have the damn data, everybody who really wants it has got it anyway.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is that an elephant in the room?

Or why does this article not contain a single mention of the EU-US PNR agreement?

Maybe El Reg does not wish to offend the majority of its audience?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is that an elephant in the room?

Let me guess, you're pining for a good US-bashing session, right?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is that an elephant in the room?

Maybe El Reg does not wish to offend the majority of its audience?

You must be new around here. In my experience, El Reg doesn't let opportunities to be offensive pass. They are well practiced in that not so fine art.

11. Paul Dx

Hope the airlines grow a pair

The airlines should call the Mexicans bluff and refuse to fly there.

I'm sure that a campaign by customers to boycott anybody who gives up YOUR information would concentrate their minds.

12. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Sophie In ’t Veld

Originally from Yorkshire, Sophie is currently operating her own Safari tour business in South Africa, enjoys hiking and photography...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sophie In ’t Veld

Just don't ask where her neighbor Dick In 't Bush got his name :)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Florida1920
    1. Richard Jones 1
      Happy

Re: If the cartels don't get you, the whales will

The whale was a cartel hit whale.

14. Pen-y-gors

Simple solution

well, two simple solutions.

1) airlines stop flying to/from Mexico

2) Airlines stop asking for all that information. Outsource the whole booking process to another company, who just tell the airline that seat C6 on flight FU999 is booked by the person with boarding pass GG5491066, who wants kosher food. Base the outsourcing company somewhere with really, really tough data protection laws, and delete all the flight info once the plane has landed safely. Passenger shows passport to emigration officer at the gate.

But I'm sure our freedom and privacy-loving goverbments would find a good way to block that.

1. Danny 14

Re: Simple solution

sounds like a good idea for Ryanair. Their "outsourcing" would be a company in the Bahamas and Ryanair would make a tax deductible loss on their booking process. Funnily enough the booking company would be owned by an Irishman.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Holidays

The list of places not worth going to because of the hastle continues to increase; the USofA, China, Mexico etc hohum Bognor it is then

Mines the one with the staycation brochure in the pocket

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Holidays

"Mines the one with the staycation brochure in the pocket"

I thought a staycation was when you stayed at home for a holiday, not just that you didn't leave your home country.

16. jason 7

Mexico...

...is one of those countries I'd only visit if they create Star Trek like transporters so I can just beam into the few ancient sites for an afternoon and then back to Blighty for tea.

Same goes for Egypt and a few others listed under "Interesting sites of nature or architecture but not worth the bother/risk otherwise"

1. Danny 14

Re: Mexico...

agreed. The people ive met who went to ruins/pyramids/etc either get everything not nailed to your body stolen or hassled non-stop by locals/beggars/looky looky men.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My email from now on is myname+fuckyou@gmail.com

as above

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like