back to article Doh! iTunes store goes down AFTER Apple Watch launch

Apple fanbois worldwide are flinging their iThings into the bin after the iTunes Store and App Store began spewing out error messages earlier. Cupertino spent much of this morning apparently ignoring gripes from fuming customers who moaned about the service going titsup on microblabbing site Twitter. However, Apple has …

1. The Crow From Below

*Yawn*

I am getting so bored with the reg coverage of anything Apple tasting of bitter resentment from all of the contributors that it is actually putting me off visiting the site at all to read some of the articles written by the adults.

Bring in some people that know how to write a balanced non biased article using grown up words rather than ranting about, and giving huge amount of front page space to a company that doesn't like them and they don't like themselves.

1. Mr_Bungle

@ The Crow From Below

Conversely, I would like to see a great deal more passive aggressive snide aimed at Apple, and also at the pitiful clowns that purchase any old crap that they produce.

The Reg has never been balanced and fair, and has always been about mocking hubris. No idea what fairy land you thought you had been visiting.

2. Ragarath

@The Crow From Below

So you joined in Feb 2015 (just over two weeks ago) and your already bored with something that has been going on for at least 5 years.

Learn the history behind the El'Regs attitude towards Apple. I'm not going to tell you because you are obviously to lazy to find it yourself.

1. Cliff

Re: @The Crow From Below

Seeing as most of the mainstream press will kiss the ring of anything Apple do (because many journalists are non-technical, time-strapped, and toe the advertiser-led/editorial line), it's good to have a balance.

The Register strapline has always been 'Biting the hand that feeds IT' - it's the attitude and refusal to blow smoke makes it stand apart

1. ckm5

A TV reporter from a very, very well known international broadcaster told me that the ONLY tech news which draws significant views is stories about Apple. So the mainstream press report on Apple because this is what their audience wants, whether they actually like Apple or not has little to do with it.

2. asdf

@Ragarath good catch. What a maroon Apple fanboi. Two weeks and saying anything about El Reg. Might have to explain what the Paris Hilton icon is about as well.

3. ckm5

Because an outage impacting 800 million devices is not important

.... you may not like it, but from a tech perspective, this is a huge outage with widespread impact, Apple or not.

4. Tom from the States

The Register treats them all the same...like dogs.

Anytime there's an outage, El Reg is all over it with crass headlines. In this case, Apple was spared the school-boy humor but everything else is correct.

Last time I checked https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/, I saw some red status indicators that are not good for things like the App Store and iTunes.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nothing wrong with El Reg's coverage

I've owned iPhones since 2009, so pretty sure that alone would make a 'fanboy' in the eyes of some here, but I don't see a problem with the Register's articles about them. It isn't as though they hold out a special brand of insult for Apple, while kissing Google and Microsoft's butt. They make fun of all of them, and don't hold back when one of them screws up. As it should be.

I doubt this outage had anything to do with the Watch, if their sites can hold up when the iPhone 6 is announced along with iOS 8, the Watch announcement isn't going to cause them to fall over. The timing is coincidence, but as with all these big outages that inflict all the big players at one time or another, it is something that should never happen if "cloud" really worked as advertised.

1. Tom 13

Re: The timing is coincidence

I suspect they are related, but not in the sense of a huge flux of iWatches knocking over the servers in a DDOS like outage. My guess is they needed to update some things for the iWatch kickoff and somebody fat fingered one of the changes. Carnage ensued.

For me this is just one more notation in the Not Ready for Business no matter how much people like the company. Right now we've got at least three devices in queue that can't be activated because we can't install the policy required free security app which resides in the app store.

2. cd

If you can't say anything nice, at least be amusing about it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Okay, this one may tickle you: If you use the iWatch for phone calls, you are looking at less than 3 hours of charge.

1. Naughtyhorse

3 hours?

Anyone using a smwatch for phonecalls is going to get kicked to death long before the 3 hours mark.

1. Mark 85
        Coat

Re: 3 hours?

Anyone using a smwatch for phonecalls is going to get kicked to death long before the 3 hours mark.

True, but on the other hand, if some sweet thing thinks the wearer is James Bond.... martinis and all that follows awaits.

1. Stevie

Re: 3 hours?

The only James Bond that would be caught dead wearing that oblong monstrosity would be the Roger Moore "Scaramanga" era James Bond, and he's about a hundred and ten years old today.

Besides, it evokes Dick Tracy more than James Bond, and he's even older.

Better buy the gold one. Young women don't go for wrinklies unless there's serious dosh in the offing. Plastic and sapphire (glass) just aren't going to seal the deal.

2. Cliff

@NaughtyHorse

Brilliant, thank you, you brought a smile to my weary face with your violent imagery :)

4. Nate Amsden

Next time use cloud

Because everyone that uses cloud knows there is never outages when you are using cloud. Hurry up apple and deploy cloud!

I installed cloud.bin / cloud.exe (depending on platform) on all of my servers and have had very high reliability since. Other setups may be more complicated.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Next time use cloud

?

(this is a letter)...

1. VinceH

Re: Next time use cloud

I think he forgot the irony icon.

Wait. Is there an irony icon?

5. NoneSuch Silver badge

"Which, perhaps, is some kind of weird fashion statement about Apple's pig arse-ugly Watch."

Easy now. It isn't THAT good looking.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coming Soon: 'The iPillow'

'yes, even while you sleep you can have subliminal messages and instructions about the following days workload from your employer implanted directly into your head, with the amazing iPillow'

7. Naughtyhorse

To be fair...

the pig-arse ugly watch is not all bad...

apparently if it feels the user is not being active enough it sends an alarm to tell them to move... all synched to 10 to the hour.

to observers of the herd this will provide endless hours of amusement as at ten to the hour, all the sheeple in the room stand as 1.

hehehehehehehehehe

1. ckm5

Re: To be fair...

My $75 Jawbone UP does the same thing. You can set it to any interval you want and it's not ginourmous piece of expensive bling kit.

Also water-resistant & cross-platform....

1. FartingHippo
        Stop

Re: To be fair...

The Jawbone is obviously a piece of shit because:

a) It does not include the letter 'i'

b) It is not sufficiently shiny

c) It is not absurdly expensive

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not just the public side

The backend systems used by the service providers have going been up and down like a tarts knickers all day as well

9. armyknife

Titles are for toffs

Single point of ....

10. asdf

LOL

Could care less about Apple really but man those suits from Dumb and Dumber still make me laugh all these years later.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Coat

Re: LOL

Any person caught wearing an Apple Watch will look like them.

11. Joe Gurman

Pretty much says it all.

Mr. Munroe nails it, as usual:

http://xkcd.com/1497/ .

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iSee iWatch

iThink criminal tracking device...

They essentially do the same thing.

(Yes I know, so does your phone, etc)

13. Velv
    Happy

I'm just shocked and stunned that an El Reg journo managed to use the word titsup without explaining the acronym

14. k9gardner

Pig arse-ugly?

Perhaps I could be called a fanboi, but pig arse-ugly Watch?

Let's do it this way. Please provide a list of three watches you do NOT consider pig arse-ugly. Then we'll look at these, and try to reckon whether you're just being anti-Apple-Midas-touch, or whether you truly do have a point here.

At the moment, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a watch that I'd call pig arse-ugly, although if you were to ask about a pig arse-ugly car, I would unhesitatingly be able to offer up the Nissan Juke (http://www.caranddriver.com/images/14q4/638371/2015-nissan-juke-official-photos-and-info-news-car-and-driver-photo-650808-s-original.jpg).

Please do follow through on this so as to maintain some credibility in the watch design category!

1. Lallabalalla

Re: Pig arse-ugly?

1) ANY watch that is encrusted with actual jewels

2) Any watch that is encrusted with fake jewels

3) Pretty much any watch under a hundred quid, with one or two exceptions, IMO

Because you can't polish a turd.

The Apple Watch (NOT iWatch, dunderheads) looks kind of all right I guess, though personally I prefer round. One of the guys at the office has one and the way the display keeps turning on and off while you're moving your arm around is a bit distracting. And he's a bit annoyed that when you look at it, it doesn't always turn itself on. This would piss me off no end.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like