back to article Diablo fingered in offensive ASCII art trial doc shock

Editing an image of redacted document included in the Netlist-Diablo trial appears to show a raised middle finger ASCII graphic. Michael Takefman is a chief architect for Diablo Technologies. In one redacted court document extract we have seen, a blacked-out graphic reveals a text representation of a middle-finger gesture when …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Joke

What's your other hobby ?

playing LPs backwards ?

1. adnim
      Devil

Re: What's your other hobby ?

Jimmy is that you?

Why are you ignoring all my stalk mails.

As for the article... being self employed and in a business of one employee, all my emails have a disclaimer that the content... "might not be the view of the company" etc. I am thinking of adding I might be angry/pissed when sending this so take any disparaging remarks as tongue in cheek and ask again when I am sober.

The devil is not always in the detail... Sometimes it is in the interpretation

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can you automate your process and apply it to every other redacted document?

3. Indolent Wretch

Who the hell is that bad at redacting documents?

It's so appallingly dumb I'm suspicious of the whole damn article.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Paris Hilton

Ah. You must have missed it a few years ago when Her Majesty's Government shipped a load of redacted docs as PDFs.

Copy 'n paste as text sans formatting into your Word Processor of choice and presto, instant de-redaction. None of yer fancy fannying around with contrast 'n such required there. The example in this article is, by comparison to the efforts of our Civil Servants, the work of intellectual colossi.

Paris, someone else who knows all about secrets getting out over teh intatoobs.

1. e_is_real_i_isnt

A key element of redaction is Adobe makes a tool specifically for that purpose that really does wipe the text out. Often people think drawing a black box is sufficient. In real documents, blacking out is followed by making a photocopy; otherwise the original is still legible by the difference in shininess, or bleaching (toner is plastic and doesn't bleach.)

2. veti Silver badge

What makes that particular goof so galling is that HMG keeps doing it - the same cock-up, time after time. The last story I can find is from 2011, but that references another incident about six months earlier, and I first remember it happening way back around 2000.

Seriously, what does it take to make them learn?

Or maybe it's deliberate, a way of "leaking misinformation to your enemies". Actually that sounds disturbingly plausible, it's about the level of subtlety I'd expect from the MoD.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funnily enough, an (arguably) more elegant way of getting offensiveness in text

uses the good old fashioned Acrostic

cunningly (or actually not very cunningly ) concealed words appear if

keen eyes view the message

You just need to be certain that your test isn't going to overrun the line space

otherwise the unintended line breaks will bugger up your message making it

useless

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You are James May

AICMFP

1. Mike Smith
        Terminator

Re: You are James May

No, he's Arnold Schwarzenegger:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/28/acrostic_arnie/

2. BongoJoe

I remember an old issue of White Dwarf in which the contents page was arranged to provide a message to the management by outgoing employees in a similar manner.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Not being offensive

Just counting to four in binary.

1. LaeMing
      Go

Re: Not being offensive

It's a good way to calm oneself down.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Durham ???

Why does this image have the word "Durham" photoshopped on top of the original? I don't get it.

7. Alan Brown Silver badge

part of the problem

Is that laywers will claim intent for a message which bears no relationship at all to what was actually intended.

I've seen it several times.

The old saw about asking a lawyer "What is two plus two?" and getting the answer "What would you like it to be?" is chillingly accurate, not a joke.

8. Ian Michael Gumby
    Boffin

Go Buckeyes!!!

For those who don't know, This photo is of a child of an OSU (the Ohio State University) fan flipping the bird to U of M players on the field during the OSU vs Michigan game.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Go Buckeyes!!!

Hmm. Seems like there are many derivatives. But google this...

The image was of young Mikey Wilson, then five-years-old, taken by Reuters photographer Jasper Juinen. It was taken just before the 2002 UEFA final between Feyenoord and Borussia of Dortmund Germany.

I think the OSU you mention is a cut and paste job. As is the Durham used on this article.

In the original you can see some other photos from different angles.

9. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

I would think that legal documents would not descend to this level of unprofessionalism. Surely they could have just referred to the correspondence in Arkell v. Pressdram.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon