back to article Pro-ISIS script kiddies deface Dublin Rape Crisis Centre site

The FBI has begun investigating the hack of a number of websites – including the site of Dublin Rape Crisis Centre – by pro-ISIS script kiddies. The Dublin Rape Crisis Centre in Ireland was defaced so that its home page featured the black ISIS flag and the message "Hacked by ISIS, we are everywhere." A Flash audio plug-in …

1. Pen-y-gors

Ah, wonderful, wonderful, Wordpress...

And my customers still seem surprised when I try and persuade them that they really, really don't want to use Wordpress to build a quickie website.

A few more examples like this will hopefully help to convince them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Re: Ah, wonderful, wonderful, Wordpress...

I bet that it was an out of date, unpatched component. Just as if you ran it on any other base system that was out of date.

Wordpress is not the issue, fire and forget is the problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wordpress is the issue, Wordpress is a platform that allows non programmers to develop a program as a set of BI instructions that builds a website.

This allows non technical users to build a website. Non technical users just want the fancy, they really aren't interested in the "why", and so they can add plugins and what not.

As non technical users, they don't maintain the wordpress install. If there is a vulnerability in the platform, they rely on whomever they are paying to maintain the platform to notice, update wordpress, and make sure all the 3rd party plugins that each of their clients have installed still work.

That sounds like a lot of work, and being non technical, they probably chose their vendor on price. If they didn't get a gem of an vendor, that probably means they aren't as fast as they should be at updating - making sure all those plugins keep working is a real pain.

I don't mind the small companies using it. I still think they would be better off with a non wordpress site, but it's their money/reputation.

In companies like ours, Marketing use wordpress because they insist on having their own "digital" people, who apparently can only make websites in wordpress, but not a wordpress install that we maintain for them (apparently its "too much hassle" to have IT check things for security). So we don't host it, it regularly goes down (due to being hosted in some shithole DC in Maidenhead rather than in our racks in Telecity Docklands) and I'm anticipating that it will get pwned at some point.

1. P. Lee
          Trollface

So its kinda like Windows for the Web?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, they should hire a 'website coder' who 'hand writes html in notepad'

LinkedIn is full of them. As is the job center

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. dogged
    Mushroom

Dublin Rape Crisis Centre

Is that the place where if you get raped and then find out you're pregnant, they lock you up to stop you getting an abortion by going to the UK where we're not fucking 14 century lunatics?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dublin Rape Crisis Centre

Rape Crisis centres are unislamic, hence the attack. Wonder if there are similar attacks in Rotherham et al.

1. Thorne

"Rape Crisis centres are unislamic, hence the attack. Wonder if there are similar attacks in Rotherham et al."

What about the zoo? Did they have a pig there?

1. veti Silver badge

It has nothing to do with the Rape Crisis Centre as such. It's just a generic attack against anyone who's vulnerable to this particular hack. Purely opportunistic, like everything ISIS does. You don't think they sat down and picked that cafe in Sydney as the target that would cause the maximum impact, do you? It's just the first place some murderous nutjob happened to see.

The defacement didn't say anything about rape crisis centres being un-Islamic - probably, because the vandals neither knew nor cared what site they were defacing.

2. Yugguy

No.

3. splodge

Indeed... It would appear that 21st century racism is the UK way ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The UK as always been racist but that's not the cause of it becoming the s**t-hole that it has become....

2. Mark Exclamation

Err, I don't think you can be racist against a religion....

3. dogged

@splodge - there's nothing racist about recognising that for example, this is a savagely cruel abomination.

My mother is Irish so I am unlikely to be "racist" against Irish people even if that were actually possible. However, the Irish government is run like a pre-Francis branch of the Catholic Church and Irish laws about reproduction and families are just horribly, despicably wrong.

You didn't know about this? Oh, then you just downvoted out of some misplaced nationalism, which makes you an idiot. Or you agree with this? In which case, that makes you a disgusting individual and I hope you get a particularly painful fatal cancer.

1. amanfromarse

You need to calm down.

4. Jim 59

Lol. Much rejoicing in recent years after we finally put an end to something like 500 years of bickering, murder, and war between Britain and Ireland. Britain even apologised for the 1.5 million stiffs in the 1840s. Bombs are gone. H blocks closed. Former enemies are now friends. Peace and harmony stalks the land.

And in a spirit of reconciliation that would have made Mandela proud stands Dogged's contribution: a foam-flecked "14 century [sic] lunatics!". Lol. Proud to be backward.

1. dogged

@Jim 69 - some things should make you angry. The fact that the country I lived in and loved does this kind of horrible thing is a good reason to be angry and foam-flecked.

Go to Holyhead some time where the ferry lands in the UK. You see girls arriving in tears and girls leaving in tears. Sent away from their homes and their families in order to prevent them losing their lives, dreams and ambitions via a heart-breaking (but beneficial) operation, denied even the opportunity for their mam to hold their hand. It's wrong. Not the abortions, those are absolutely right if those girls are to stand any chance at living the life they choose.

But the policy on contraception and abortion in the RoI, which is criminal. It's an attitude ISIS would be bang alongside. Couple that with the abuses of the Catholic church, the corruption in Irish politics, the disastrous entry into the Euro....

As stated, my ma's Irish. I lived there for years. I even remember a few words of Irish from school (which is a few more than most Irish people do) . I just can't help but think, on reflection, that if the British government hadn't delayed the Home Rule Act due to WWI, the country would be in a lot better shape.

Oh sure, Ireland would be whining about independence just like Scotland does and pretending to be oppressed but we'd have avoided the terrorism and deaths, the tacit collaboration with the Nazis, the Euro, much of the poverty and a whole lot of paedophile priests.

And the policy on women's rights and reproductive health would not be made by allegedly celibate men who wear dresses.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Propaganda Wars?

It could've been ISIS...there again it could've been any of the 'Five-Eyes' intelligence services...could've even subcontracted it out to Mossad...lots of possibilities.

5. earl grey
    FAIL

real brave

Bravo for the brave freedom fighters...

/S

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon