back to article Fring thing comes to Windows Mobile

Symbian VoIP and messaging client Fring has launched a version for Windows Mobile 5 and 6, connecting them to multiple VoIP and messaging services from a single client for free. Fring has been providing connections to Skype from Symbian handsets, over 3G or Wi-Fi connections for a while now, and more recently added GoogleTalk …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shaun

Are you sure?

Can't find anything on fring.com about this - Where do I download it from?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where is it?

Funnily ennough I just discovered Fring yesterday from another reg article, and then was annoyed they didn't have a Fring client for windows mobile. I only want to have a skype client on my handheld as it is what all my friends use for instant messenging (not VoIp though i do use it for that sometimes). Sadly as my operator blocks skype and removes MSN messenger from the phones and MS now don't let you download the latter, and further as I refuse to pay for an IM client I was hoping Fring would work for me.

So now I hear it's available... but unless i'm being really clueless this information hasn't made it to Fring's website as I can't see it for download, and it will only accept Nokia phones to send an SMS to download (presumeably the symbian version)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where is it?

Funnily ennough I just discovered Fring yesterday from another reg article, and then was annoyed they didn't have a Fring client for windows mobile. I only want to have a skype client on my handheld as it is what all my friends use for instant messenging (not VoIp though i do use it for that sometimes). Sadly as my operator blocks skype and removes MSN messenger from the phones and MS now don't let you download the latter, and further as I refuse to pay for an IM client I was hoping Fring would work for me.

So now I hear it's available... but unless i'm being really clueless this information hasn't made it to Fring's website as I can't see it for download, and it will only accept Nokia phones to send an SMS to download (presumeably the symbian version)

4. nigel

Where is it?

5. Dillon Pyron

Solution?

Is this a solution in search of a problem? I'm sure that carriers are going to embrace VoIP instead of their own air services. Or their own solutions. Fring has a long row to hoe. I wish them luck, but point to the many dot com companies of the late 90s who had zero income but offered a "world changing" product. Yahoo, Google, Amazon and e-Bay survived and flourished. Can you name the others? I can't.

6. Andrew Fitzgerald

Yeah i cant find it either.

Ive registered interest for Windows Mobile 5, as it doesnt let you download it yet.

Reg, any news when it is to be available?

7. Jon

fring on Windows Mobile

Hi guys,

Apologies for the delay - the Windows Mobile service is now up and available to download from our website, just visit www.fring.com/download to get started.

jon@fring.com

8. Da Andersson

Fring? Don't bother!

Don't bother with Fring on the Nokia E65 phones unless you need to be able to

send and receive text messages only.

Fring as a VoIP ( SIP ) or Skype client is the worst so far - and is almost

unreadable when trying to do voice comm.

The original Skype version delivered with the Nokia phone is by far better

on the voice com than Fring. For some odd reason, the codec Fring uses is just not good enough.

I installed Truphone and I could suddenly make myself understood again...

So - No, Fring isn't ready yet. With the low sound quality, Fring is probably the best telco advert against VoIP there is. Sorry Fring!

As a disclaimer, I could of course have made a number of bad installations of Fring but everytime I install Fring, it's unusable and every time I install Truphone or Skype, it works perfectly all right. Especially after Truphone released an alpha or beta release V3.0 with support for VoIP over the 3G network. But O'boy! it suck out the batteries in 3 to 4 hours without any calls at all!

//Dan

9. Rashi

yes fring on Windows Mobile is up on the blog & website!

Details are on the fring blog (http://www.fring.com/blog/)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like