back to article Microsoft: You'll get the next Windows 10 build when we're GOOD AND READY

Champing at the bit for the next build of Windows 10 Technical Preview? Microsoft says that although it has been silent for several weeks, a new release is coming ... soonish ... but you probably shouldn't hold your breath. "Today is 3/9 and we've not set a date for the next build," Redmond's Gabe Aul said on Monday in a …

1. Nolveys
    Trollface

"It was validated by our test automation."

KERNEL TEAM TESTS

kernel_stability_test ok

kernel_speed_test ok

ntfs_stability_test ok

ntfs_speed_test ok

networking_stability_test ok

networking_speed_test ok

TIFKAM OR WHATEVER IT IS TEAM TESTS

user_interface_layout_randomization_test ok

user_time_spent_doing_basic_things_increased_test ok

networking_bollocked_by_home_setting_test ok

user_infuriation_simulation_test ok

INTERNET EXPLORER TEAM TESTS

bugs_from_90s_still_work_in_certain_situations_test ok

css_compliance_almost_test ok

annoying_stuff_and_horrible_defaults_on_initial_startup_test ok

fuck_it ok

1. Paul Shirley

Re: "It was validated by our test automation."

Rival_product_A_doesn't_work_test. Passed

Rival_product_B_doesn't_work_test. Passed

Rival_product_C_doesn't_work_test. Passed

2. Yugguy

Re: "It was validated by our test automation."

networking_bollocked_by_home_setting_test ok

Phew, it's not just me then.

2. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

A Little Bird Told Me

I was interested to see how the other guys did it as I used to be involved in software development and deployment, though entirely in-house stuff. Still, it took some time to get past the name of the group that handles daily builds. I had an image I just could not shake of a bunch of coal-blackened miners huddled around a dead bird.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Little Bird Told Me

It's a standard name in our outfit too. It's probably used in a lot of places.

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Renaming the inteface

They can't find a new name for TIFKAM / Modern and are still digging deep to come up with a name that won't remind everyone of the disaster known as 8.

4. Dr Scrum Master
    Coat

Timewarp

They appear to think it's 3rd September...

(I'm the one with my hand stuck in the time portal.)

1. Tim Bates

Re: Timewarp

At least you saw a date - I quickly simplified the fraction down to one third, wondered why they were talking about ninths in the first place, then finally realised it was a US style date without a year.

5. PeteA

Scary to say...

But I actually agree with MS on this one - I've yet to see a development estimate that matches the actual reality, and generally foisting an enforced "done-or-else" date on the developer results in shortcuts and kludges as they desperately try to work around something unexpected whilst keeping management happy. Sometimes, the estimate is too great in which case they'll usually "polish" the code until the pre-ordained date arrives. YMMV, just my observation over the last 25 years or so.

1. Joe User

Re: Scary to say...

Agreed. I'd rather wait and have it done right (well, as "right" as Microsoft ever gets it...) than rush it out the door and deal with bugs, flaws, and shortcomings.

2. Tim Bates

Re: Scary to say...

"I've yet to see a development estimate that matches the actual reality"

Yes, but these are meant to be development builds to gain feedback about any stability issues present in the first place. Delaying them means only the issues MS has noticed can be fixed in a timely fashion.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good....

...release when ready, not when deadline / marketing dictate.

7. RyokuMas
  8. phuzz Silver badge
    Facepalm

I'm assuming they've had to announce this because there's forums somewhere full of self-entitled kids complaining that MS haven't released an updated version in a while.

It's a free beta version, calm your boots.

1. Grikath
      Devil

This is the Age of the Internet. Entitlement is a god-given right, which should be treated as a basic human right! Why isn't the UN doing anything about this and send out Strongly Worded Reprimands to Microsoft!!

9. Yugguy

I actually agree with MS

For once.

Tomtom brought out its new GO range before it was ready and then spent the next 18 months putting out release after release, sometimes fixing stuff, sometimes introducing new faults. It's took them til now to get a properly stable UI.

10. Avatar of They
    Thumb Up

They have to get it right.

After 8, it simply has to work as people need to upgrade to something.

So take all the time you need.

Just remember, the mobile world runs and IOS and Android now, so you have to work with others in your sandbox. Can't have all those work desktops running windows 10 when the management all have Android and ios phones or ipads unless you talk to eachother, and you are coming late to the party so you need to adapt, not expect them to.

Awful Office 365 is not going to save your a$$. Can't have everything in the cloud when DPA says no.

World standards are the norm, not the exception. Lets have a proper browser, music format, picture format. As standard.... We know you can do it, but how about defaults this time?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They have to get it right.

"Lets have a proper browser, music format, picture format. As standard"

Spartan / IE11

.mp3

.jpg

So what are you actually referring to?

1. Joey M0usepad Silver badge

"So what are you actually referring to?

maybe something that can display the pictures and play the music in a useable way - then i wont have to install winamp and acdc all the time

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So what other OS does this really well without any 3rd party programmes?

1. earl grey
            Unhappy

Waiting for them to get a spiffed-up agent ransack instead of the sorry file explorer thingie.

11. Brian Souder 1

Get It Right

I would rather have them get it right and not be patching like crazy - like when they usually release an OS.

12. Florida1920
    Pint

A good sign

"Today is 3/9 ..." Redmond's Gabe Aul said on Monday

Someone at MS knows what day it is. Now that's progress!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like