back to article PernixData chap: We are to storage as Alfred Nobel was to dynamite

PernixData chief technologist Frank Denneman thinks distributed fault-tolerant memory technology (DFTM) is ushering in an era of nanosecond-scale storage access latencies that could fundamentally change applications and the way they access data. Application process run speeds could be reduced to a tenth of their present levels …

1. Nate Amsden

Power

How often are Pernix systems deployed with dedicated UPSs for each one? Even distributing writes across multiple hosts doesn't protect you if the power goes out. Of course most data centers have redundant power but in rare cases that is not sufficient enough which is why RAID controllers often have batteries on them, and larger storage systems (such as HP 3PAR) have larger batteries in them to de-stage the contents of data cache to a local SSD/disk in the controller(not part of the attached storage which has lost power), and since there are two copies of the data to be written in cache, two copies are written to local disk (in the event one of those disks fails, I've had two local disks in my oldest 3PAR fail in the past 3 years at different times) so the system can remain w/o power indefinitely without risk of data loss.

I remember one data center outage in Seattle (fortunately I had not been a customer of that facility in 3+ years at that point) where they had a fire in the power room and knocked the facility offline for roughly 40 hours. They had the facility running on generator trucks for several months while they repaired it. Obviously people with storage systems that had batteries keeping their memory from shutting down were probably worried, not knowing when power might be restored. And no, many of them did not have any kind of disaster plan including Microsoft's own "Bing Travel" which was down the whole time too. I remember being told some NetApp systems took upwards of 12+ hours to restart doing file system checks or something.

So assume you lose power to all of your racks at the same time what sort of setup does Pernix have to protect against this? Many data centers don't allow the use of a regular UPS(fire code), or if they do perhaps require integration with EPO. Some IBM blogger told me an interesting bit that in most cases fire code will allow a UPS as long as it doesn't run for more than a few minutes or something(there is a hard limit on runtime).

From what I recall Pernix operates on "bog standard" hardware which means they'd need enough power for the entire server to run long enough to dump the contents of (unwritten) memory to persistent storage.

I am kind of surprised the Pernix people didn't call out specifically their response to power issues in this article. Or maybe their use of memory is limited to read operations only, and operates as a write through cache to SSD, in which case no need to preserve it. For me that wouldn't help much as my workload is 90%+ write.

1. CheesyTheClown

Re: Power

UPS is irrelevent... 1.5TB of RAM on a XEON is a great idea, but the problem is, with 8x40Gbe (which is what I use my Windows Storage Spaces servers for an aggregate bandwidth of 320Gb/s per server, 1.5TB of RAM can effectively fill up at 32GBytes per second, reaching full capacity in around 50 seconds. With a aggregate write bandwidth to disc of about 2GB per second, in case of a power outage, I can't possibly flush in time to survive this.

We need battery backed RAM with flash stacked on the RAM to flush even during OS failure back.

Their system is crap

2. Crazy Operations Guy

"...as Alfred Nobel was to dynamite"

So spending the rest of their lives regretting it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: "...as Alfred Nobel was to dynamite"

And actively campaigning against its use?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Re: "...as Alfred Nobel was to dynamite"

No, just making loads of money and using it all to endow scientific and humanitarian research, obviously.

3. razorfishsl

Er no.......

Well I won't be using your storage products then.......

You design stuff that fucks things up?

Glad you are so honest about it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Power questions, deftly avoided...

...and on that bombshell, swung me from being a believer with a healthy degree of scepticism to "Ahm ooot". Not an enterprise-class solution.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like