back to article Facebook-owned, Billy-no-mates FriendFeed starves to death

FriendFeed – a photo, message and image-sharing website created by former Googlers in 2007 and scooped up by Facebook two years later – has signed its own death warrant. The firm said in a blog post on Monday that the service, which has been "maintained" ever since Mark Zuckerberg's company acquired FriendFeed, would be axed …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Captain DaFt

Well, I heard of it back when Facebook bought it, but that's it.

I just thought that Facebook had absorbed the good bits and killed the rest, since I never heard of it again until now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is there *anyone* outside of Google and Facebook who has ever heard of FriendFeed?

I knew it existed because of this project.

2. Andy Non Silver badge

I was just thinking the same thing "FriendFeed" never heard of it.

3. phil dude
    Coat

I.T. Crowd should be told...

Let Jen know...

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I.T. Crowd should be told...

Friendface, surely?

4. Aslan

Not Facebook, but Facebook

First in the event of a major service shutdown the maintainer should need to keep things online for 30 days and provide export in a standards friendly way. Second, originally the service wasn't Google or Facebook. Facebook users weren't going to use it because it wasn't Facebook and once it was purchased by Facebook non Facebook users who weren't noobs weren't going to touch it either. I think this put the site in a rather impossible position. It's really annoying to see web giants buy and destroy interesting companies.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

laughing all the way to the bank

made a relatively useless/redundant "service" that collapses due to lack of interest, still the creators made more money in that period of time than most of the entire world will ever earn in their lifetimes.

No stinky bubbles here, that's the jacuzzi, honest!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like