back to article HAPPY 20th Birthday MICROSOFT BOB

Tuesday, 10 March 2015, is a day of infamy, for on that day in 1995 Microsoft gave the world Bob, the “social interface” for Windows 3.x and 95. In 1995 PCs were nowhere as ubiquitous as they are today, not least because they weren't very easy to use. Microsoft knew that Windows 3.x wasn't welcoming the rising numbers of first …

1. Yag

"We offer it here without any warranty, guarantee, or prospect of support"

Not even against sanity loss?

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: "We offer it here without any warranty, guarantee, or prospect of support"

Don't be silly, we all know there's no sanity clause.

1. Anonymous Custard

Not even against sanity loss?

Given the reminder of Clippy and the painful memories that induced, especially not against sanity loss..

2. Herby

Just musing here, but isn't this what Microsoft does with its products?

On Bob/Clippy...

A Microsoft "original". And like most Microsoft "Originals" flopped miserably.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wasn't there a spoof with Clippy? I thought it was done by the Register. Maybe as part of the BOFH?

I've got it somewhere archived away...

1. DiViDeD

I don't know about a spoof, but I remember an old gif with a Clippy dialog which went something like:

Hi, it looks like you're about to write a letter. Would you like me to:

- Bollox it up for you

- Just fuck off and leave you alone

there was also a prank program around which made Clippy die horribly over several days, I believe.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Are you talking about the UserFriendly.org spoof?

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20120427

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

I've switched it off, now what!

2. Admiral Grace Hopper

Bubba

I wish I'd kept a screen capture of the hillbilly riff on MS Bob - MicroSoft Bubba. As I recall you closed programs by shooting them with a shotgun which was always to hand.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: Bubba

Gah! Just missed the edit window. Some else kept a copy of Bubba in all its glory.

2. Anonymous Custard
      Windows

This one perhaps?

- photo bar at the top.

From the TechRepublic article on the subject...

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

That's the one (see cross-posting). I seem to remember we thought it a refreshingly original UI paradigm (we were still saying "paradigm" with a straight face back then - ah youth!).

3. Bob Vistakin
      Unhappy

Alas cousin Bubba darn well done n drowned himself in a barrel o moonshine a few summers back.

3. Calum Morrison

It looks like you're writing a letter.

Didn't Rover live on? IIRC you could choose different avatars if Clippy wasn't to your taste but annoying virtual assistants were. I'm sure there were things like a star and indeed that wee dug.

1. stucs201

Re: It looks like you're writing a letter.

Didn't rover search for files for a while?

1. Chris Watson 2

Yep, he was the default search assistant in Windows XP.

http://www.geekrant.org/2004/11/22/windows-xp-search/

1. Joey M0usepad Silver badge

I saw Rover just a couple of days ago, whilst hunting down and killing off XP installations. Had to put him down. Sad really. Everytime I log onto an XP machine to rip any required info out of its guts before shooting it in the head xp is always as excited as a puppy to see me:

"Would you like to take a tour of the exciting new features in windows XP?" (y/n) :) ) )

At that point you lose sympathy

Its the same kind of excited hype when installing a not new ms os - loads of ads for the "exciting new features" and sentences with "productivity" in them . You'd think theyd put some sort of timer in - and if its 5 years past the release date of the OS swap the messages for something like:

"sorry your having to go through this shit for the billionth time - why diont you go get a coffee, I'll beep when ive finished"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Today, the forced display of XP tour is used as an example of bad UI design in MS very own interface design guidelines. Just, it looks many Windows developers never read them....

2. Blitterbug
            Meh

Re: loads of ads for the "exciting new features"

Actually only XP & Vista had a nasty 'Welcome' screen. You can't in all fairness call the rolling info displayed during initial commissioning of Win 7 & 8 'Ads'. Vista's was much nastier, it was an actual program that ran every time until you unticked an option. XP's horrible thing just needs completing once in non-graphical mode and then its gone forever too.

4. Sir Sham Cad

MS Comics Sans

Eww. I thought that debuted in MS Comic Chat which is the second worst IRC program I've ever seen.

Didn't know it was originally created for Bob. I've learned something today. That means I can officially go back to bed, doesn't it?

5. Gavin Jamie

Comic Sans

I was having a little rant about Comic Sans recently until a couple of teachers in the group said that they liked it in education because the "a" was drawn as it taught in handwriting.( i.e. an ɑ rather than an a).

1. Pellinor

Re: Comic Sans

I like Comic Sans. When I see someone use it, it tells me that the author is wanting to be friendly, informal and comfortable; and isn't so familiar with the sibboleths of design that they know it's anathema.

The latter implies that they're a perfectly ordinary likable person who cares about the message rather than the medium and just wants to on with the job in hand. These attributes are, to me, more worthy than being a snob about fonts :-)

2. Montreux

I can't find the exact quote, but developer of Comic Sans, Vincent Connare, once said something like 'People who love Comic Sans don't know much about typography. People who hate Comic Sans don't know much about typography either'.

It was a good first attempt at a casual, handwriting-like font. As with all fonts there are places it is suitable and places it isn't.

1. Shrimpling
        Trollface

I like Comic Sans because it winds up my designer friends when I use it.

They are such easy targets!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I like Comic Sans! I have it as the font for my web browsers, and the Linux desktop! Bob was just before my time, but I did get it later from one of the Abandonware sites to see what all the lack of fuss was about. But I never had the slightest inkling that's where Comic Sans comes from! Honestly, you learn something new every week!

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Comic Sans is of great use to me socially. If I meet someone who claims to be a graphic designer, I ask them what they think of it. Then I ask them about Helvetica.

If they claim Comic Sans is irredeemable while holding Helvetica up as the flawless pinnacle of type design, I change the subject entirely - life's too short to listen to second-hand dogma.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

If they claim Comic Sans is irredeemable while holding Helvetica up as the flawless pinnacle of type design, I change the subject entirely - life's too short to listen to second-hand dogma.

Indeed. Anyone with any aesthetic sense would say "Palatino or GTFO".

Seriously - I admit I don't understand the adoration of Helvetica either. (No, I didn't catch the documentary. One of these days...) It's easy to argue that it's better-designed than some of the alternative sans-serif fonts, like Microsoft's broken Verdana (with its disproportionate x-height), but idolizing any typeface is pretty stupid, since they have different uses and there's a huge subjective element anyway.

To be honest, I've never been all that keen on the "humanist grotesque" typefaces anyway, at least for print applications. (For some screen applications they may be more readable.)

1. Blitterbug
              Happy

Re: No, I didn't catch the documentary. One of these days...

...you really should. It's informative and pretty essential viewing for anyone who reckons themselves a bit of a font head. It also (IIRC) has a few talking heads who hate Helvetica, for balance.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

the "a" was drawn as it taught in handwriting.( i.e. an ɑ rather than an a)

That's called a "closed lowercase a". Other fonts have them too, though sometimes only in their italic forms. Some examples I have to hand are Bell MT italic, Berlin Sans FB, Cambria italic, Century Schoolbook italic, Parchment, Pristina, Segoe Print, Twentieth Century MT ... you get the idea. Closed-a is less common than open-a, but it's hardly unique to Comic Sans.

Of course, many of those are novelty fonts (or titling fonts at best). For the most part it's hard to argue any of them is "better" than Comic Sans for most purposes. I'd pick Twentieth Century MT, say, over Comic Sans if I absolutely needed a closed a and I had to choose among the typefaces already installed on this machine, but that's largely because I have a strong visceral reaction to the whole idea of a "friendly" typeface. (I think it's utter crap, the sort of nonsense you get from people who haven't bothered to study actual typography-reception research, and don't understand psychology very well either.)

6. Sandtitz Silver badge

Mutt mistake

“Rover” guided users through Bob's features in ways that the video hopefully shows were clearly re-used once Clippy appeared in the Office suite.

Rover the Useless Pooch was featured in Windows XP search window.

Office 97 had altogether different flea bag: Power Pup, The Caped Mongrel.

Both equally useless, but the Office assistants were WAY more infuriating.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Mutt mistake

Arrrgh. I'm not starting to remember the ghastly hacks that were required to completely remove the sodding Office Assistants from an installed copy of Office. The alternative was to uninstall everything vaguely related to MS Office, kick the original installer hard in the knackers (or another appropriate punishment) and then install MS Office again, this time taking care to deselect the assistant options.

IIRC after a while there were non-MS tools to remove the assistants from MS Office installations, and of course installation profiles that automatically deselected the things.

7. Wombling_Free

How to be a hipster part 47

You must hate Comic Sans. It is a hipster rule.

It is a FONT for Jove's sake; it's not exactly a threat to civilization as we know it.

Unless you consider books or reading a threat.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: How to be a hipster part 47

YOU sound like a hipster, bleating on about things.

2. stungebag

"It is a FONT for Jove's sake; it's not exactly a threat to civilization as we know it."

You'll be defending WordArt next, then I'll have to call the police.

1. Wombling_Free

No, I won't. WordArt is indefensible.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

You must hate Comic Sans. It is a hipster rule.

Plenty of us hated Comic Sans before hipsters made it cool.1

Personally, I dislike it not because I think it's ugly (I do, but so what?), as because the whole concept of a "friendly" typeface is theoretically unsophisticated, unjustified by any research I've ever seen into typographic reception, and about as rhetorically subtle as a car-salesman's smile. "Look at me! I'm a friendly text! Please like me!" Tonstant weader is inclined to fwow up.

Here's an idea, fans of "friendly fonts": learn to write rather than trying to make your typeface do the work.

1Yes, nasal daemon. I know, I know.

8. Jim 59

Thanks for the article. I guess it is easy to be cynical about poor Bob, but it isn't such a bad idea IMO, especially in the context of the time. But then, who would have thought that the most successful addition to the PC experience was a straightforward start button. Simplicity wins again.

Personally I prefer Bob to Gnome3 / KDE4 messes.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Well it was only MS' version of the Apple menu. And instead of the menu being at the top it was at the bottom.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

The original design of the Windows Start menu (not the correct name for it, can't be bothered to look it up) was for the bar to at the top of the screen. I believe it was moved to the bottom by default quite late on in the development cycle to differentiate Windows from Apple.

If you find an older version of the OS, move the start menu bar to the top of the screen and suddenly you'll find that it begins to make a lot more sense. Shutdown being at the end of the list of options, being the most obvious, but also any popup menus that show as well.

1. Spleen

Interesting. To non-techies this would be known as "Doing a BT Sport". (In televised sports matches they put the scoreboard at the bottom, for no reason other than Sky Sports puts it at the top.)

2. stucs201

The problem with putting the Windows task bar at the top (or left) of the screen is that most application which try to remember and restore their previous window position will drift by the size of the taskbar each time they are closed and re-opened. This obviously gets annoying when the title bar disapears off the top.

It is possible to write programs which remember correctly if you remember to account for it, but the obvious implementation will have this problem.

I suspect that making this problem less obvious would be part of the reason for it being at the botto by default.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

To me, Bob resembles nothing so much as the point-and-click video games of the period, like Beneath a Steel Sky and many Sierra titles. In fact, didn't Sierra Network have a "clickable objects" UI like that?

Given the popularity of those games, it's not entirely bizarre that Microsoft would try to redesign the Windows UI around that metaphor. I'm not fond of it, but there was some reason to think it had a chance of attracting non-technical users.

1. Turtle

Norton Once Had Something Similar.

"To me, Bob resembles nothing so much as the point-and-click video games of the period, like Beneath a Steel Sky and many Sierra titles. In fact, didn't Sierra Network have a 'clickable objects' UI like that?"

Norton Utilities had such a point and click UI at one point; the user was presented with a picture of, if I correctly recall, an idealized living room and one had to click on the picture of the item corresponding to the function one wanted Norton to perform.

Really fucking obtuse, if you ask me...

9. RobHib

Comic Sans

"Comic Sans is now regarded as a low point in the history of computing"

Says who?

I've usually don't have much to say about MS that's good and Bob was a first-class fizzer, but whilst comic Sans is certainly no Garamond, it's still a very good informal font. I've used it often in informal emails, it looks and suits the part.

10. Anonymous Blowhard

So is "Cortana" short for "Bob"?

I'm sure I've heard something similar...

1. Magani
      Stop

Re: So is "Cortana" short for "Bob"?

I suspect Cortana is a misspelling of a certain Ford product from the '60s / '70s. The only decent one I drove was preceded by the word 'Lotus'.

I hope Cortana makes the same sort of noise...

11. Stumpy Pepys
    Facepalm

Memories of Microsoft Bob

I'm starting to believe Microsoft Bob to be a giant false memory; I don't believe I've ever seen Microsoft Bob, even though I feel I have.

1. ItsNotMe
      Thumb Up

Re: Memories of Microsoft Bob

Well...I happen to have a couple of copies of Bob in my archives. Both are Gateway Computers branded versions, and I have gotten it to run on top of Windows XP Pro.

Why you ask? Because I could. So Happy Birthday Bob!

1. Eddy Ito
        Pint

During my last move I found a copy of Bob still wrapped, seal unbroken. I thought about opening it to stick on a virtual machine but couldn't be arsed so it's sitting somewhere still sealed and it will probably turn up again the next time I move. Maybe someone will find it in a post apocalyptic earth and decide it was the pinnacle of human achievement or the beginning of the end.

Bob's your uncle? I'm sorry, have a beer or six.

2. SgtFalstaff

Oh, it existed all right. One of my first tech jobs was on the Gateway Computer help line. I knew it was going to be a bad day when I got a call about their _customised_ version of Bob. Which was most days.

2. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Is it a coincidence that Microsoft Bob appears to be a cartoon version of Steve Ballmer?

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge

I'm starting to believe Microsoft Bob to be a giant false memory; I don't believe I've ever seen Microsoft Bob, even though I feel I have.

You're lucky. Some "friends" of mine decided that it would be fun to install it on my computer when I wasn't around and then to watch me curse and swear at it. Gits.

Almost as funny as when they decided to configure a 2 minute long wav file as a windows launch sound, during which time the system hung until the audio had completed playing. Win 3.x - what a joy.

12. Doogs

Whoops

Managed to crash it within about 3 seconds of starting it.

"General Protection Fault in UTOPIA.DLL" or something...

1. Pawl

Re: Whoops

If I am remembering correctly, the code name for "Bob" was Utopia. A bigger misnomer than that would be hard to imagine.

13. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

MS Agent

MS Agent which evolved from Bob was a useful but obscure and rarely used tool, though more for good quality text to speech via SAPI than for the on-screen animated characters -- but those were admittedly fun to play to play with and easy to control through VB6.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft didn't understand the appeal of Program Manager...

... after all every smartphone, with the exception of Windows Phone, still employs a Program Manager like interface - screens full only of icons and icons to launch applications, but the occasional gadget. You also see the same 'interface' when users litter any Windows desktop with as much icons as they can because using Start, folders and search is still too complex for them.

What MS didn't understand was the need of candy-like colorful and hi-res icons to make the candy collector user happy. He or she feels obliged to fill the screen with candies, even if they run applications he or she will never use.

No need for Bob, they should have designed Candy.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Microsoft didn't understand the appeal of Program Manager...

I disagree: one of the things that I have found to be very handy about Windows Phone is the alphabetical listing of applications. Visual memory is easily confused by creating many identical "spaces" with different contents.

Maybe I'm just used to using terminals, but for stuff I don't use, it's a lot quicker to tap on a letter heading, choose the first letter of the app I want, and then launch it, rather than spasm through twenty screens of other crap to visually locate it*

I also launch applications by name in both Windows 8 (Windows-key then start typing its name), and in MacOS X by using a DragThing dock filled with the thirty-or-so things I'll ever use (DT supports type-to-select, and unlike Finder, its implementation is not brain-numbingly stupid).

(* Yes, I know iOS has a search-by-name function by swiping left from the app panel, but by the looks of it, I'm one of the few who does)

15. IGnatius T Foobar

Bob > 8

I think we can all agree that the Microsoft Bob user interface was, at least, vastly superior to Windows 8.

1. herman

Re: Bob > 8

Now that you mention it...

16. The Sod Particle
    FAIL

To be honest, even Microsoft called the product 'Bob', so it's not surprising it didn't do well...

(for the across the pond, or maybe even non midlands reader:

uses of the word 'Bob'

bob all - f**k all - as in this software is bob all use

piece of bob - piece of sh*t - as in this software is a piece of bob

bob - sh*t - as in this software is bob

bob off - f**k off - as in I wish that dog would bob off

basically an all-purpose non offensive expletive)

17. mix
    Thumb Down

OVA link down?

Did the MS lawyers clamp down on the dropbox link? I wanted some nostalgia damnit!

edit: ignore that, work proxy issues...now resolved. :)

18. Kubla Cant

As you talk to it you will see its lips move...

When I read that it made me imagine talking to a person who mouthed everything I said, as I said it - both creepy and annoying.

19. Stevie

Bah!

Stopped reading after "not least because [windows 95 fitted computers] were not easy to use".

Speaking as a mainframe bod who had to be forced to use a PC to fill in a timesheet, and who changed jobs in late '95 and was given - much to his dismay - a brand new Win '95 laptop as a terminal, that statement is specious.

The Windows 95 interface was a doddle to use. It took me a mere 30 minutes to learn enough by experimenting to forget it and get on with my job.

If you'd said the OS wasn't ready for network prime time and the hardware it was fitted to rarely cooperated when config changes were called for you'd have my vote, but hard to use? WTF are you smoking?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Bah!

The Windows 95 interface was a doddle to use. It took me a mere 30 minutes to learn enough by experimenting to forget it and get on with my job.

Oooh! Unsubstantiated claim versus anecdotal rebuttal! Fight!

Here, I'll help: my unicorn says you're both wrong.

20. Richard Gadsden
    Go

Wasn't Melinda French involved in Microsoft Bob? I always admired Bill for killing off his wife's pet projects.

1. ItsNotMe
      Thumb Up

"Wasn't Melinda French involved in Microsoft Bob?"

Oh how right you are sir.

"Inside Microsoft, she is well-regarded, an energetic MBA who's handled several of the company's products, including its newest software release, Microsoft Bob."

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19950604&slug=2124492

21. Midnight

Bob was actually a huge sucess.

It helped Bill score with that Melinda chick from marketing, so any side-effects on people who bought and installed it are just acceptable collateral damage.

22. bob, mon!
    Unhappy

Sadly this image is missing Comic Sans!

I haven't yet tried to install it, dunno if I will... but this seems a most ironic omission.

23. John Tserkezis

I first met BOB a little recently, and curious, I shoehorned him into an older windows version I had lying around.

Like some of the other posters I want to debate the "easier to use" line.

Windows wasn't hard to use unless you have a head injury, or are aged over 75 (I'm not interested in those darn gosh new fangled things!).

Bob on the other hand was an abortion. You had to hunt around to find anything, you didn't know if something in the room was either eye candy, or if it actually meant something. And you had to change rooms to get to other "stuff". Even though they likened rooms to folders - er, no, not even close.

The saddest part was I had to dig around for a while to get the Bob install code, and then dig further to get it running on something later than '95. What was I thinking? (probably the same thing microsoft was when they created it).

1. Yag
      Trollface

> You had to hunt around to find anything, you didn't know if something in the room was either eye

> candy, or if it actually meant something. And you had to change rooms to get to other "stuff".

Reminds me a bit of the ribbon interface...

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

You had to hunt around to find anything, you didn't know if something in the room was either eye candy, or if it actually meant something. And you had to change rooms to get to other "stuff".

Gamification. It's why Steve Bong champions Bob (though he doesn't use it himself, as he finds it interferes with his rapid deployment of catapult proposals).

3. hitmouse

I have met plenty of smart people over the years who could not deal with the user shells most people are familiar with. Bob was a godsend for such people, but it was lampooned and harpooned by people it was never designed for, and those people bullied into submission.

4. herman

Bob is bit like playing Myst, but without the haunting music.

24. Fihart

"Oh Cortana, you make me laugh....."

Not arf.

God, the vacuous tv ads for Microsoft phones right now.

25. stucs201
    Coat

Cortana and Bob

So if Cortana isn't a direct descendant of Bob, but does inherit some things does than mean that Bob's her Uncle?

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I never liked those annimated folders when copying files

I could never read my files as they whizzed across.

You know, I don't think they were even mine!

27. martinusher Silver badge

Delightful Period Piece

Instead of slamming what was at least an attempt to make a computer more user-friendly (albeit a bit of a naff one) look at it for what it is.....a delightful period piece from an age of innocence. I like the decor of the living room, the accessories on the table, they remind me of those room displays you get in museums ("the living room of the 1930s", that sort of thing). Look at it -- its got a letter rack with paper mail complete with stamps, what looks like a Rolodex address book, a thingy that looks like a tablet but I suspect is a form of wireline phone, folders, books, a pencil -- I could get quite nostalgic for that retro look.

(I've met that dog and its accursed sibling, the maniac paperclip. Both needed putting down....)

Incidentally, anyone tried Linux task management a la Doom?

28. Sierpinski

Why I detested Bob

Copying the interface success of Sierra, Broderbund, Lucasarts, and others, diminished the separation of work and play for me. It's every bit as wrong to associate leisure time with work as it is to associate work time with leisure.

29. JCC1

Apple's Knowledge Navigator a better predecessor to Cortana

While Bob was certainly worthy of Microsoft's efforts, it's worth it to remember that MS was pretty much *always* playing catch-up to Apple in earlier parts of the 90's. System 7 was quite an advancement over Windows 3.1 and most of MS's user interface designs were not especially sound.

As far as Cortana goes, well it's clearly somewhat inspired by Siri. Siri, however, actually uses some legacy recognition technologies that harken all the way back to John Scully's Newton days. It was right around this era, when "personal digital assistance" were still 8-9 years off, that Apple produced its "Knowledge Navigator" video - a blue sky demo of what they thought human/computer action would be like in the future.

We're not quite there yet, and it's clear that no one had envisioned quite the degree of interconnected multitasking (aka, *completely* pervasive Internet) that we have now, but quite a fascinating watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_Navigator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jiBLQyUi38

30. MarisaG

We are working on patching Bob to use SMTP & POP3 email protocols instead of the dead MCI service. Get more info at https://msbob.org

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like