back to article Apple slips out security patches while world goes gaga over watches

While everyone was losing their mind over expensive watches, Apple sneaked out security fixes for iOS phones and tablets, and OS X computers. Both the OS X Security Update 2015-002 and iOS 8.2 address critical flaws. Leading the charge is a patch to squish the FREAK bug in the two operating systems' SSL/TLS code. Disclosed …

1. Cirdan
    Linux

Favorite Apple bug

The Codling moth.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codling_moth

:-)

...Cirdan...

p.s. Technically a larval insect and not a bug; poetic license... Don't get all pedantic on me!

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Joke

Re: Favorite Apple bug

Technically a larval insect and not a bug...

Which just goes to show that Apple produces an immature platform whereas others can support full grown moths.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At least there isn't a bug-door in Xcode that leaks Private Keys....

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1683809/strawhorse-attacking-the-macos-and-ios-software.pdf

we always thought the complier **could** be pwned,

wonder what the NSA kext for keylogging is,

and how can Apple reverse an Intelligence Community fork of Xcode 4.1 (etcetra)

2. ratfox
    Windows

Is the wifi fixed?

We need a grumpy cat icon.

3. dogged

Critical fixes?

But they just work, don't they?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Has Microsoft released a fix for FREAK yet?

1. dogged

I don't know. But they don't claim to create godlike perfection and then peddle crippled Foxconn hardware so I don't see the relevance of your whataboutery.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I'm no Apple fanboy but in my experience Apple stuff does generally "just work" and I certainly prefer it to Windows for work. I really dislike the way they handle the POSIX stuff and replace it with MacPorts. They have in the past been notoriously lax in updating the parts of it that they ship with the OS but they do generally get round to it. Microsoft's patching process is more difficult but that's largely their own fault in the way they mix applications and OS.

2. Adam 1

Sadly even Google haven't patched chrome on lollipop (nexus 5) according to freakattack. At least you can run Firefox as a work around I suppose.

4. frank ly

It gets better - apparently

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/ios-82-iphone-update-installs-useless-apple-watch-ad-on-home-screens-10097151.html

1. dogged

Re: It gets better - apparently

Could be worse. Could be Bono.

5. Terry 6 Silver badge

Hype and cover

All the hype and publicity for the iWrist thingy is brilliant cover for slipping out anything that might take the shine off their products, like bug and security fixes.

And boy! What hype there has been. Even the BBC seems to be infected, An article on their news website today that purports to be questioning whether there is a market for this stuff is just one long puff, with no attempt whatsoever to find out if anyone wants the ithingy, or what they might really use it for. Just a final jokey comment at the end, saying that kids don't wear watches, to justify the whole item.

1. dogged

Re: Hype and cover

I'm waiting for the Stephen Fry review.

6. greifpad

Supersized Update?

Wow, the 8.2 update is a 565 MB download. It would be nice if you could opt out of the Healthcare and iWatch stuff which I will never use. Oh wait, this is Apple.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Discovery was credited to Ian Beer

And his prize was: I Beer

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like