back to article Menopausal killer whales are wise old birds

Post-reproductive female killer whales act as key "repositories of ecological knowledge" to younger family members, a new study has claimed. Menopause is a rare and mysterious phenomenon among animals on Earth. Only humans, resident killer whales and short-finned pilot whales are predisposed to outlive their reproductive years …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From your photo...

...It's gonna take a quite a few tubs of Haagen Daz to calm her down!

1. Mark 85

Re: From your photo...

Or chocolate covered fish....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: From your photo...

Or Caramel-Coated-Krill...

2. fogdart

Do your writers and editors speak English? I have no idea why trick-cyclists (circus performers?) would have anything to do with Orcas or other aquatic species. Is trick-cyclist slang for something? And while we're at it, please stop using the word "boffin" to describe scientists. It may have been cute to call them that when you wore short pants in school, but now it's only irritating. Thank you. I expect you will implement these linguistic corrections immediately.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you see El Reg?.....Well, do you?

This is what happens when you start changing your layout!!!

2. Sarah Balfour

Here, have a down-vote…

Although, I've not seen you around these parts before, so I may have been a tad hasty, but I do have a VERY SHORT (read nonexistent) fuse when it comes to people taking umbrage on behalf of others. Are YOU a scientist…?! No…?! Then quit all this pseudo-affrontery (that OUGHT to be a word, dammit!). This is The Register, not New Scientist, you appear to have mistaken it for a serious news site.

You won't find much - if any - support for your viewpoint here. Don't like it…? Don't read it.

1. The Nazz

Short fuse, oh dear.

Would i be correct in thinking that you have not yet reached your own menopause, Sarah?

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Short fuse, oh dear.

I say: go Sarah! It doesn't matter which side of the m-divide she's on.

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Have a sarcastic upvote

For being so bloody clever you can discern a non scientist from never having met a person before. If that isn't worth an up-vote on the Internet, nothing is. OK, so nothing is. (But that isn't going to stop me.)

3. frank ly

You signed up just to complain about the local 'culture'? That's sad. You'll never get a badge with that attitude.

4. Arezzo

The Register leads the way in cutsie-pie names for scientists.

5. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

@fogdart

You must be new around these parts. On El Reg, the word boffin is used to recognise true scientists (& engineers) from those who claim to know stuff but can't tell their arse from their elbow.

See this previous article for the background: www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/11/damn_you_iel_regi_call_me_a_boffin_demands_enraged_boffin/.

6. Rampant Spaniel

Jake is that you? Or shitpeas?

7. Eponymous Cowherd

My pants

are always short.

My trousers, however, are long.

3. Tom 7

Reminds me of my first job

lots of old and not very productive in themselves old engineers but they really knew how to steer the young ones to the bait balls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reminds me of my first job

I think you'll find that we now call that particular practise, 'Grooming'.

4. Frosted Flake

Any intelligent species should value the aged. Not because it's nice. Because it's handy.

1. Hollerith 1

Grandparents have evolved

Seems humans have grandparents to (1) pass on widsom on how to survive (2) help with child rearing, so that the young and fit, e.g. younger men and women, can gather and hunt. One of my grandfathers taught me how to fish, the other, to paint. One grandmother showed me how to scramble eggs, the other, how to do long division. I think we'd all agree that these are essential survival skills.

5. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Any new parent can attest to the fact that having Grandma available to help with looking after the newborn is a huge bonus.

1. Rampant Spaniel

True. And any parent of older kids knows the grandparent is chuckling away to themselves thinking "they think a newborn is hard? Wait till the little bugger gets mobile, or hits their teenage years"

6. fogdart

Sorry, kind of, if I offended. I thought after giving the world Monty Python and Absolutely Fabulous you might take my earlier comment in a light vein. And Sarah, my grad school was Stanford.

But please, honest question here: what is meant by trick-cyclists? Never heard the term before. I'm not out to insult the English, my efforts are needed more here in the US, where people live in trailers, eat squirrels, and can't find their own country on a map.

1. frank ly

Trick-Cyclist <-> Psychiatrist

It's a lot easier to spell it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fogdart, the First Rule of Fight Club is...you do not talk about Fight Club!

The Second Rule of Fight Club is...you do not appologise on a comments board...if Sarah is a bird then i'm an IT professional......goddamnit, where's your American Spunk?

PS, if you had used a search engine to look up the term first, then you wouldn't have got yourself in such a pickle, would you?....Stanford my arse!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@fogdart

"And Sarah, my grad school was Stanford."

Well, lah-dee-fucking-dah!

8. MenopauseMorph

Menopause meanderings :)

As a scientist, a menopausal woman and a Brit, I too was baffled by the term trick cyclist. Never having read The Register before and only coming here as this article was posted in a menopause group, I began to wonder if this was a joke site, like The Onion. After reading the comments, I am still not sure.

For those of you not experiencing menopause, please remember that we are fragile creatures dancing with our fluctuating hormones but many can at the drop of a top hat, enter the realms of trick cyclists nightmares. :)

As the older generation has a host of knowledge to impart to the younger, so the younger has a host of new knowledge and terminology to educate their elders with. Today I learned that trick cyclists are not just circus entertainers. What will you learn?

While taking the time to actually sign up to make this comment I realised that this site is mostly for IT people. Most menopausal women these days are at the age and experience that IT and its terminology (and modern slang) is a strange and mysterious universe. Have pity and understanding on us as one day you too will experience menopause or have a menopausal woman in your life. In internet marketing they advise making things as simple as your grandmother would be able to understand. While we menopausal women may not be old enough to be your grandmothers we are old enough to be your mothers. So might I ask that you treat any other menopausal women, who make comments here, with the respect that you would give your mother and grandmothers? Go on, I know you can do it :)

9. tony2heads

What about the elephants!

Don't diss the matriarch of an elephant herd ; they may not go through menopause but tend to have their last calf when about 50 and often live another 10 years.

If you do annoy one she can rip a car apart.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Re: What about the elephants!

But they are, apparently, scared shitless by bees.

10. nijam Silver badge

Maybe they, not we, are evolved from the Pak?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protector_%28novel%29

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon