back to article Teen sex pic swap shop SnapChat seeks Saudi cash to keep selfies flowing

Bosses at selfie-swapping upstart Snapchat spent the weekend in Saudi Arabia seeking investment from the Warren Buffett of the Middle East: Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal. The self-destructing-photo app biz is looking for about $500m, and hopes the prince – a member of Saudi Arabia's ruling royal family – can chip in a few million …

1. Chris G

This selfie is shaky and out of focus

Well I was being flogged at the time!

Nothing wrong with publicising the price for breaking Saudi laws.

Is there?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Part-time hedonism

A fellow I knew who owned and operated a trucking company said a Saudi prince once offered him a job, which he turned down after visiting Saudi Arabia. The interesting part was what he observed of the prince's behavior. Apparently this devout muslim changed completely the minute his plane left Saudi airspace. The booze came out, the hair came down, and who knows what else. Just hearsay, sure, but similar rumours have come from a number of sources, including this board.

I guess it's good to be king (or a king in waiting).

1. Cliff

Re: Part-time hedonism

Who said hypocrisy was a hurdle to being a billionaire price, eh?

2. Chris Parsons

Re: Part-time hedonism

All true, certainly in my experience. I've seen men and women go to the loo on the plane and come out in western clothes.

We should not have dealings with this corrupt, backward regime.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love snapchat..

But, surely it would be outlawed in Saudi Arabia, or at least seen as a western perversion. Cant imagine the results of Saudi teens using and being found out. Public humiliation? getting 10 lashes? yet happy to invest money into it, hypocrisy.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Love snapchat..

It'll be fine. We all know how sexy burlap sacks are.

4. Fink-Nottle

Prince Tanstaafl already turned them down.

5. jonfr

The IT v.2.0 bubble goes on

So the IT v2.0 bubble goes on and on. While this man has plenty of money to spend it is clear that he is going to loose it once the IT bubble implodes in on it self.

As for his worth. That is going to be a subject of debate after the oil (in Saudi Arabia only) and IT crash in few years time.

6. wayne 8

Alaweed don't care

He invests(ed) in Citicorp, a very un-Islamic bank.

7. LarsG

He needs the app for his frequent visits to London, his wives will find no evidence on his phone

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Its a Sharia Law country, he can just have her beheaded and go and marry an 8 year old to replace her.

8. frank ly

The second picture

They thought they'd be getting some kind of cloaking device for their birds of prey.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Ahh the western syndrome....

...don't mention the human rights abuses if you can get a few quid out of them

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like