back to article Auction of a live gTLD could pave way for domain-name shakeup

The first new top-level domain name to be sold with live websites attached to it has been picked up by registry giant Donuts at auction. The rights to sell domains under the name ".reise" – which is German for "travel" – represents a sea-change in the way the domain-name system will run in future, with generic top-level …

1. arrbee

So how long before the British government auctions off .uk ?

1. Graham Marsden
      Mushroom

It will be replaced with .atos .g4s .capita...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or Yandex buys .com, wouldn't that be a hoot!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dot slash reisen

"dot-reisen"

If people continue to refer to a period as a dot, they usually refer to a hyphen as a slash.

So dot-reisen reads "dot slash reisen".

Whatever happened to using a glob? *.reisen

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: dot slash reisen

Because it is confusing, like this: http://www.theregister.co.uk.

Where does the URL end? With the "k" or with the "."?

1. Ole Juul

Where does the URL end? With the "k" or with the "."?

Regardless of the fact that we don't normally bother typing it because it is ignored, It ends with the root domain which is a "dot". It is the sentence which ends after the period. From Wikipedia:

The root domain does not have a formal name and its label in the DNS hierarchy is an empty string. All fully qualified domain names (FQDNs) on the Internet can be regarded as ending with this empty string for the root domain, and therefore ending in a full stop character (the label delimiter), e.g., www.example.com.. This is generally implied rather than explicit, as modern DNS software does not actually require that the terminating dot be included when attempting to translate a domain name to an IP address.

So, if you're using cut/paste and pick up that last dot by mistake, the browser will handle it just fine - unless you put a period ofter the dot.

2. VinceH

"If people continue to refer to a period as a dot, they usually refer to a hyphen as a slash."

What strange logic is this? The first time I've ever heard or read of anyone referring to a hyphen as a slash is in your comment. As a dash, sure, but never a slash.

To me, a slash is either a / or (preceded by "taking a" or "going for a") yet another euphemism for taking a piss, taking a leak, flushing the buffers, hosing the porcelain, draining the main vein, spending a penny, going for a tinkle, letting it out the front door, draining the radiator, and so on.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"As a dash, sure, but never a slash."

I realized after reading your post that you are correct and I'm wrong. What confuses me is that when you remove the computer aspect of all this, in the realm of people with hyphenated names, they are often referred to as John "slash" Doe (John-Doe) or John "dash" Doe. But, how I implied it above, I did mean as you think..."dash".

BTW, "spending the penny"?? Can't say I've heard that one :-)

1. VinceH

Spending a penny harks back to public conveniences (starting in the mid-1800s?), where a penny had to be inserted in order to unlock and gain access so that you could, well, spend a penny. :)

2. DreadPirateRobot

Well, "the dash don't be silent"

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

in the realm of people with hyphenated names, they are often referred to as John "slash" Doe (John-Doe) or John "dash" Doe

In what region? Sincere question - I've never heard anyone do this, or indeed pronounce the punctuation at all, unless they're spelling the name aloud for someone.

4. Ole Juul

Dollars to donuts

ICANN will screw up. Their track record in maintaining control has slipped in the last while.

5. phil dude
    Joke

crowdsource....

how about .human, we can all have one then....

P.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon