back to article I see what you've done, there, twiiter.com: Tweet troops tackle tech twin

Twitter wants the domain 'twiiter.com' and has gone to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) to seize it. The Facebook-for-showoffs has filed a UDRP complaint for the misspelled domain, and been given case number 1607451. The real surprise is why it has taken the San Francisco upstart so long. Twiiter.com was …

1. Mark 85
    WTF?

Is it possible that the Twitter folks believe it's easier and more likely to get a result in their favor by taking on only one domain at a time? No need to confuse the organization with a mass request.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Sooo...

...do they own twater?

3. ukgnome

You asked the company?

What a waste of time, you needed to twat them.

4. I don't have a handle

ſcreenſhot: Just wondering

"screengrabs"

Is screenshot now considered olde worlde and therefore consigned to the same bin as the long s? Am I now a redundant old fart because I still prefer a quill and a screenshot?

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: ſcreenſhot: Just wondering

I think if you prefer a quill you are 'pre-trendy'. At least it is justification for having a pen-knife about your person

5. lawndart

says

If only people wouldn't thoughtlessly follow links in Guardian articles this wouldn't be a problem.

1. Steven Raith

Re: says

I sea what you did their.

6. Andrew Jones 2

Chrome says:

The site ahead contains malware

Attackers currently on twiiter.com might attempt to install dangerous programmes on your computer that steal or delete your information (for example, photos, passwords, messages and credit cards).

7. choleric
    Angel

"[The site] gathered personal information in an online survey by offering free gifts. Classy."

Funny. Can't imagine a red-top tech news website ever trying the same trick!

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining about the free gifts.

8. Crazy Operations Guy

All these came after they started

So why didn't they grab up all the misspelled domains when they started? Doing such isn't all that expensive, especially with some of the bigger domain services where they'll register similarly spelled names as a matter of course... And with the massive stacks of cash these companies get from VCs, there is no excuse.

But what do you expect from a company that has its head so far up its ass that it can see out through its own mouth....

1. Tony Haines

Re: All these came after they started

//So why didn't they grab up all the misspelled domains when they started?//

Number of domains with one duplicate character, eg 'twitterr' : 6 (not 7, because of duplicate t)

Number of domains with one keyboard-adjacent char, eg 'yitter' (all appropriate chars are legal): 56

Number of domains with one additional keyboard-adjacent char before or after each char, eg ytwitter : ... lots

Number of domains with two characters transposed eg wtitter ... some more

And that's just for starters.

Obviously they could get a few obvious ones, and with some research perhaps the most common typos... but all? Could start to get a little expensive.

And that's a recurring cost.

1. VeganVegan

Re: Re: All these came after they started

Not to mention variants like nitwitter.com.

That was the name they should have adopted in the first place.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: All these came after they started

"Not to mention variants like nitwitter.com.

That was the name they should have adopted in the first place."

Or the simpler twits.com

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They missed twittersucks.com

Or did they?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like