back to article Massive gravitational lens flare unveils EINSTEIN CROSS SUPERNOVA

“That's odd” must be a scientist's favourite phrase: a set of images of a distant supernova has shown off a phenomenon first predicted more than 50 years ago in 1964. The supernova was spotted in Hubble images by Dr Patrick Kelly of Berkeley while searching for distant galaxies – and because of the effect of gravitational …

1. Big-nosed Pengie
    Headmaster

El Reg, you really need to find correspondents who have a basic command of English, or use a sub editor.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

El Reg will now find some old mechanic dude who worked on subs and make him editor.

1. Sarah Balfour

I worked on subs once… I had a Saturday job in the local sarnie shop.

They ain't gonna get any better, trust me - and will probably get FAR worse, especially as it's Friday.

2. Mark 85

Which version of English? British, 'Merican, Aussie, other?

2. Ashton Black

Nice work astroboffinry!

Very cool stuff. (Granted, a supernova is something like 100 billion deg K, but you get my point)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice work astroboffinry!

Cool compared to what went before it in the inflation phase.

3. Chris Miller

Gravitational lensing was first predicted by Einstein: the presence of enough mass, he reasoned, would bend light passing an object.

Not quite right. Newtonian physics predicts the bending of light in a gravitational field (the calculation is A-level standard, and was first performed in the 18th century - the fact that light may be massless doesn't matter because all objects with a given velocity and initial position, whose mass is small in comparison with the gravitating mass, follow essentially the same path). But General Relativity predicts a deviation twice as large, which is what Eddington famously measured.

1. phil dude
      Coat

would that be....

corpuscular?

P.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

Light gets bent, big-time

I think that should be "minimal (proper) time"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

No - space time gets bent, light travels in straight line. Tut tut Reg are we the Daily Mail now ?

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Joke

Woah, there's no need to use such language over a technicality!

If you don't like space-time, it's ok. No need to tell it to get bent...

6. frank ly

Space ...Time ... Looking back

“this deceleration took place around where this supernova is located.”

Should that be "... around _when_ this supernova is being observed" ?

7. Katy_B

Ok, Chegwin!! A phenomenA??

8. willi0000000

"now that's odd"

. . . still the best words a scientist will ever utter.

9. Florida1920
    Mushroom

That's odd

That's what the bloke at Chernobyl said, just bef

10. Gartal

"This is partly related to the fact that the universe decelerated before it accelerated" This implies that there was a second slightly smaller bang doesn't it? Sort of sloppy seconds for the Universe.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like