back to article Revealed: Facebook Boss Zuckerberg's One Weird Trick When Hiring

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg only hires people he would work for, which, using the same principle of reciprocity, presumably means he'd work for every single person contributing freely to his giant content farm ad platform. Speaking at a "town hall" meeting in Barcelona, Zuck said: "I will only hire someone to work directly …

1. JDX Gold badge

10,000 people is small?

Seems pretty bloated to me.

1. getHandle

Re: 10,000 people is small?

And still the mobile app is laggy and buggy, and whatever they are doing with server synchronisation is a joke.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Well said Mark...

Because I'm only willing to share MY personal data with someone who is willing to share theirs with ME...

3. Metrognome

Zucker-jerkery aside, asking where you'd be happy working for the person you're interviewing makes good sense unless you're hiring drone for uteerly no-brain jobs.

1. Intractable Potsherd

I sort of agree with you, but at the same time think it leads to the same old situation of only hiring people who agree with each other. There need to be people who will say "Hold on a minute folks - is this the right way to do this?" This is even more important when the use of personal information is the corporate raison d'etre.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'How To Win Friends And Influence People'.

Mark.....can't you just fuck off and skin another Moose?

oh yeah....am i hired?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This looks especially sensible when the people working for him would be C level. If you're hiring senior leadership then believing they can lead seems like a very good criterion (though I'm sceptical it's the only one).

1. Mark 85

Leadership? A leader is someone I'd follow in to battle. The only place I'd follow Zuck is through the minefield... and that's only if he makes it to the other side.

1. Bernard

That more or less reinforces his point, actually.

Whether you put Zuckerberg's success down mostly to luck or mostly to judgement he's one of a number of kids who find themselves in a position of having a corporate giant to manage with no prior track record whatsoever.

In that highly irregular situation hiring leaders who he'd be happy to be working under in the more regular scenario that he'd left Harvard to get a job seems an eminently sensible acknowledgement both of his limitations and of the kind of company he wants to build.

It's long baffled me that Facebook is as valuable as it is, but I'm consistently impressed by the anecdotal evidence of Zuckerberg's nerve under pressure and decisionmaking. Almost all of us would have sold out the moment someone offered $7bn (if not $2bn, or the numerous multi-million dollar offers that must have come privately before that). He reminds me a fair bit of Bill Gates in that I find a lot to admire in how he's got to where he is even though I'm dismayed that his product is taking over the world.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Admiring a sociopath only reinforces the sociopath's belief that he is right to be a sociopath.

6. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Coat

Puzzled?

That cock doesn't seem to be on the level.

Isn't that a chicken he's holding?

Coat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. Sarah Balfour

Re: Puzzled?

Wonder if it's made of rubber and has a pulley in the middle…?

Look, I'm stuck in bed, I feel like utter shite, and I've had that stuck in me nugget for WEEKS. Just trying to get shot.

7. Innocent-Bystander*

Incomplete Headline

Zuckerberg: You work for me, I’d work for you (but I’m still the boss, BITCH!)

There, fixed it for you.

8. Gis Bun

Errr. The article is about who'd he hire. Why "ruin" things with some privacy issue.

9. Sarah Balfour

Err…

…because privacy IS the issue…?!

1. Arion

Re: Err…

No, I'm with Gis on this one.

The issue is Mark Zuckerbergs hiring practices. Either that of the headline was wrong, and the article laid out even worse than it seems.

Privacy is a different issue, and including it here was a cheap dirty tabloid stunt.

2. Yag
      Angel

Re: Err…

If privacy is the issue, then...

No privacy = no issue!

Am I hired?

10. disgruntled yank

should have been two articles

One on Zuckerberg's odd remarks about hiring and organization size, one on the privacy matter. I don't regard this as trickery, just carelessness.

11. PAT MCCLUNG

How this small, limited and insignificant person could have $40 billion is a testimony of the extreme viral pathology now engulfing our society.

12. earl grey
    Flame

NO

JUST NO!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like