back to article Office for Mac 2016 Preview: This letter will self-destruct in 60 days

Microsoft has released the first preview build of Office for Mac 2016, its next edition of the software for Apple PCs. The Word, Excel et al suite can now be downloaded and tested out by the anyone with an OS X Yosemite or later machine. "Office 2016 for Mac shares an unmistakably Office experience – but it is also …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, so happy ..

.. with LibreOffice.

That's all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So, so happy ..

Thanks for telling us.

1. dogged

I think I'm going to go around all the car sites and post at the end of every non-Toyota review about how happy I am with my Toyota.

Because being a massive bell-end is obviously cool these days.

2. Tim99 Silver badge
      Gimp

So, so happy ..

.. with LibreOffice.

That's all.

I would be too, if it did not require Java for full functionality on OS X.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I would be too, if it did not require Java for full functionality on OS X.

I prefer OpenOffice over LibreOffice for stability. LibreOffice is busy getting rid of the Java but I'm pretty sure it will have to stay for the database connectivity: nothing else has such a wide range of database drivers.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

The aticle needs to be re-written a bit

"Microsoft has released the first preview build of TIFKAM/Ribbon Clusterfuck for Mac 2016, its next edition of the software for Apple PCs."

I know Yosemite is as pretty as a bulldog's face but TIFKAM-styled Office is as pretty as a bulldog's arse.

1. dogged

Re: The aticle needs to be re-written a bit

I think that would be an opinion piece rather than a report.

And it would only be your opinion piece.

And nobody cares about your opinion.

1. DavCrav

"And nobody cares about your opinion."

At current count six people cared enough to downvote him.

And I upvoted him as he often makes good points. Office on Mac even with the fucking ribbon is a damn sight prettier than on Windows though I prefer OpenOffice's fixed palettes.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

It's not opinion... Office Mac is making the ribbon less ignorable and following the Windows version into TIFKAM hell.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/office-for-mac-2016-hands-on-a-vital-upgrade-with-some-kinks-to-work-out/

3. Gordon 10

I'm puzzled

What OS X builds > than Yosemite exist? Not supporting Mavericks is pretty shite IMO.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: I'm puzzled

I thought every Mac that running Mavericks is eligible and able to run Yosemite as well?

I thought every Mac that running Mavericks is eligible and able to run Yosemite as well?

Does that mean that they should? Every new OS version brings changes, some for the good, some for the bad. Yosemite includes a lot of pointless UI fuckery. Though to be fair, under the hood it seems to contain mostly improvements. Notable exception: I-Tunes seems to get worse with each new release.

1. Gordon 10

Don't forget a number of personal data leaks that have been reported. And the fact that Parallels want to scalp me if I upgrade the OS.

4. PhilipN Silver badge

Not downloading

I have been trying on and off for four hours and nothing happens.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Re: NoW downloading

but so slow the 60 days will expire before the d/l completes

1. P. Lee

Re: NoW downloading

Missing the obvious jibe... get used to that self-destructing letter threat - it won't end with the beta test.

2. SuccessCase

Re: Not downloading

"I have been trying on and off for four hours and nothing happens."

It's Microsoft. You have to re-install your OS first. If you're lucky it will "take."

Oh and don't forget to delete/edit a few keys in your registry. I know it's a Mac, but they are bound to have installed one somewhere.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprised at the requirment for Yosemite

From a none-Apple software vendor, I'd expect compatibility back to Lion.

Re: Surprised at the requirment for Yosemite

Why? I'm pretty certain that over 90 % of users will be on Mavericks or Yosemite. Those numbers will only look better when it gets to the release date. (I'm annoyed because my second machine is artificially restricted to Lion but it is my second machine and from 2006). Apple will have the numbers from software updates and is quite happy to splash them around and the hints to upgrade for free aren't exactly subtle. Yosemite has the highest integration between MacOS and IOS making it easier for vendors, such as Microsoft, targeting both with its software.

1. macjules

Except that by the time it is released we will undoubtedly be using OSX Jellystone, or whatever they are coming up with at the moment, they will have changed the address book format yet again and yet again Outlook will not work properly so I will just go back to using UniBox given how long you now have to wait for Mail to actually start up.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

It needs Yosemite so it can stick stuff in the title bar (like the ribbon's quick icons).

6. Montague Wanktrollop

Still....

no Project for OSX then? I'll be damned if I have to use Vtech 8.1 to run Project in the future.

7. User McUser

the new Mac suite [provides] better integration with the OneDrive and SharePoint.

Well that's just super. Say, did anyone remember to fix any of the numerous cross-platform issues with Office for Windows? Are PowerPoint fonts and embedded media working yet? Change Tracking in Word?

8. Matthew 17

Had a look at it....

Quite like it so far, not used in anger but it's an obvious improvement over 2011.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like