back to article Sophie the Stegosaurus was a teenaged fat lass claims triple-D model

Scientists at the Natural History Museum have used 3D models to work out what its famous Stegosaurus would have weighed when she was alive. And the answer is: a lot. The dino exists today at the London museum as a skeleton nicknamed Sophie after the daughter of the hedge fund manager who bought the ancient bones. It is the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

She's not fat...

She's just big-boned!!

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Not quite birds then

>Dinosaurs are related to modern birds .... but their anatomy could have been quite different in some cases

Especially in the case of large viscous teeth and claws for example ?

1. Phuq Witt

Re: Not quite birds then

Viscous teeth?

Well there's the reason for the weight gain right there. Obviously too much oil in the diet.

3. Mark 85
    Coat

Big behind and a small brain...

so she's the ancestor of the Kartrashians?

1. Chris G

Re: Big behind and a small brain...

But this big behind and small brain is contributing to science.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"so she's the ancestor of the Kartrashians?"

Hey man, don't insult the dinosaur.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, she was thinking (literally) using her big behind. It was functional - housing the secondary "brain" responsible for most of locomotion and bodily functions.

Compared to that the behind of Astralopitecus Kartasiensis species is used purely for display. The bigger the display, the higher the likelihood to attract a matching Astralopitecus tw*t with delusions of musical talent as a mating partner. Additionally, the bigger the display, the higher the likelihood of attracting parasitic species of the Papparazzi Tabloides genus to swarm around it and assist in the associated rituals.

1. Sweep

Dinosaurs did not have a second brain in their bums, it is a 19th Century myth, long since debunked.

4. TheProf

BBC radio

BBC Radio 4 news announced the weight as 1.6 tonnes. "Not unlike a small rhino." Because small rhinos are a common sight in the UK.

5. x 7

"Combined with its wide hips, it’s fair to say this Stegosaurus probably would have had quite a large rear end"

Yep, definitely female

6. Graham Marsden
    Alert

" it’s fair to say...

"...this Stegosaurus probably would have had quite a large rear end"

It may be fair to say that, but given how dangerous it is to answer your gf's question "does my bum look big in this?" think how risky it would be to say anything to a 1.6 tonne dinosaur!

1. earl grey
      Joke

Re: " it’s fair to say...

Just reply "Big isn't the word I would use..."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: " it’s fair to say...

Why?

I regularly answer "Oh yes!" with a Mandy from Ice Age 2 intonation. The SWMBO does not mind. She has given up on any attempts to tame me 24 years ago on the day we met :)

Tell your gf to look at life with more humour (and watch Ice Age 2).

7. JustWondering
    Happy

Gotta ask

With those big butt muscles, what was the twerking potential?

1. Mark 85

Re: Gotta ask

Valid question... but I think that tail would be a killer if you got too close.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Gotta ask

Wouldn't want any twerking going on with that tail! Blood would flow.

(Maybe we can change Sophie's name to "Miley Saurus" though?)

8. John Tserkezis

"nicknamed Sophie after the daughter of the hedge fund manager who bought the ancient bones."

I'm sure she must be very proud to have her namesake be a fat dinosaur. "Thanks dad."

1. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Alan J. Wylie

Be careful

> We won’t be able to know for sure until someone invents a time machine and goes back 150 million years to when Sophie was roaming the landscape in what is now North America

Don't step on any butterflies.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good old days

Aw man we used to have fun with these, getting them to swipe their own heads with the tail was a fave (you had to be quick though).

The plates were above water to regulate heat when foraging in thermal pools, but anyway I've probably said too much...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good old days

I know you....you're a UNIX admin!

1. Stoneshop
        Boffin

Re: Good old days

I know you....you're a UNIX admin!

Err, no. Those only appeared during the Cretaceous. This is clearly OS/360 era.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bravo

Took me about 20secs to work out the "triple-D model" thing, but I appreciated it when the penny dropped!

12. harmjschoonhoven
    Unhappy

But

had Sophie bad breath? We will never know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon