back to article D-Link removes fingers from ears, preps mass router patch

Domestic router Daddy D-Link is patching dangerous remote access flaws in several models of its networking gear. The patches follow a round of zero-day disclosures by Canadian researcher Peter Adkins early this week, after D-Link allegedly cut communication while he quietly disclosed the flaws. The most severe flaw allowed …

1. Robert E A Harvey

well, there you go

Bit late. I threw mine away last week. The TPlink I bought instead is reporting twice the speed to the exchange, and all speed tests are better too.

No idea if the d-link was pawned, but it wasn't working well. Though I can't imagine a hack that makes it report the link rates wrongly.

2. Herby

A suggestion for D-Link...

How about keeping ALL older routers with up to date software. Sure it could be difficult, but when you release things with different numbers many times each year, things add up. Of course an alternative would be to open up things after they are declared "end of life".

p.s. Sometimes you need to go to Russia to get updates (D-Link has an office there).

3. Fred Dibnah

Avoid

Whenever I see the D-Link name, I am reminded of how they screwed their NTP settings then tried to strong-arm the Danish chap who told them about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTP_server_misuse_and_abuse#D-Link_and_Poul-Henning_Kamp

1. Down not across

Re: Avoid

I've not touched D-Links for quite some years. I used to have some due to nice feature set for the money. However they had serious difficulty with power supplies. I had several external PSUs cook themselves. I also had some rackmount switches with internal PSUs. You guessed it, they had to be RMA'd because PSUs died. Never had any similar issues with any other kit whether internal or external PSU.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buffer overflow on ping?

Welcome to 2000, DLink!

1. asdf

Re: Buffer overflow on ping?

Yes buffer overflows on the ping command itself are very bush league but being able to do command injection through router UI ping web pages not sanitizing input is actually a very useful feature. It is usually the quickest way to get root and be able to put decent QOS on your router finally or even better to load more secure better performing and more feature packed firmware not authorized by the manufacturer (some try to limit what you can flash on it) like OpenWRT, Gargoyle, Tomato etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or you could just load in a new firmware via the router's update interface. The only reason you'd need to do it via ping is to reprogram someone else's router.

1. asdf

As I mention quite a few routers actually go out of their way to not let you flash firmware they don't explicitly approve. The one example that springs to mind is some of the later WRT54GS wind river based versions (before Linksys finally pulled their head out of their asses and realized people were only buying their crappy router due to the 3rd party firmwares). Also most of the DSL modems the telecos give you are locked down.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chucked mine before Christmas.

Bought an expensive D-Link 8-port home router to replace my old Draytek which had given up after 8 years, and spent most of the six months it was installed emailing D-Link during the brief periods when I could be certain of internet access. I must have had seven or 8 beta firmware updates, none of which made a jot of difference. They told me my line must be faulty.

I went and bought another Draytek. D'you know, it turns out my line isn't faulty after all? I told them to go fuck themselves and chucked it in the bin. Never again.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I found D-Link routers to be crap IME

They provide no customer support either so I dropped them like a hot rock and bought quality hardware from their competition, which has worked fine for years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I found D-Link routers to be crap IME

Not just their routers. Same can be said about almost all their products. I bought a 'baby' webcam from them recently and it is a bigger pile of stinking shit than what my 8 month old produces. Returned it after an app update rendered it useless (thanks Amazon!). I won't be giving them any of my hard earned cash again..

7. Max Normal

Got rid of my D-Link last week after the last screw up and customer service fail.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/02/dns_hijack_d_link/

Have a nice Asus router now: much faster, far more stable, and the firmware is updated regularly.

Never going near D-Link again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like