back to article Belgium will drag Facebook to court if it has to – privacy minister

Belgium’s privacy tsar says he is ready to hand the Facebook case to prosecutors if consultations with the social network over alleged EU law breaches fail. This follows a report detailing several instances where Mark Zuckerberg's firm is alleged to have broken EU laws. Before snapping on the rubber gloves for an in-depth …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Belgium's Privacy Tsar

Does he have fine robes, i bet he does you know, i bet that his robes have golden threads woven in to them and his splendid moustache....bet he looks magnificent!

If i were Zuckerburg i wouldn't go up against him as i wouldn't stand a chance against his fine robes and moustache.

2. Dan Paul

Commission all the reports you'd like...

you still don't have any legal jurisdiction against these companies unless they are actually headquartered in Belgium or another EU country.

Last I recollect, the USA and the State of California have jurisdiction over Facebook, Twitter, Google and Microsoft.

If you want to ban them, feel free. They will just have to "Forget" you are there. That is probably going to tick off a lot of voters.

That's the ONLY solution you deserve to have, because all you overly litigous EU countries are doing is trying to tax these companies to death because you cannot create a competitive alternative. THAT is on YOU!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Commission all the reports you'd like...

"...because all you overly litigous EU countries are doing is trying to tax these companies to death..."

Talk about *projection.

2. big_D Silver badge

Re: Commission all the reports you'd like...

I work for a German company, but when we do business in the US or other countries, we cannot ignore local laws. If we do, we face our products being banned in those markets.

Likewise products imported into the country, and the EU, must comply with local regulations. If you want to do business in a country, you have to follow its laws.

Facebook also has offices and datacenters in Europe.

3. Chronigan

I am curious. How can facebook be doing anything illegal? It is an optional service. You have to agree to it's policies in order to use it. If you don't agree then don't use it. If they change their policies and you don't agree, stop using it. Now if it is doing things with your information that it does not disclose, that is a different story.

Facebook is not a public service, you are not bound to it. I would really appreciate an article by a legal professional explaining how a voluntary service can be sued to change terms that the user agrees to.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Just because it's optional,

It does not give them the right to break laws wherever or whenever they like.

Say. for example, you decided to sign up to "Damage Inc Social Network", and buried deep within the T&C's of the site, I reserved the right to come around to your house and give you a liberal dose of prison sex while you slept. Now, just because you did a click-through of the T&C's and didn't actually read it, it does not mean I actually have the legal right to break into your house and sodomise you roughly whilst you sleep.

If the region in which you live/login from allows such activities, then all well and good for me, but not so good for you.

If where you live would consider my actions to be breaking and entering (both of your house, and your sphincter), then I deserve to be punished for my transgressions.

Furthermore, any changes to the privacy policies should be made aware to the end user prior to the rollover date, so they have the opportunity to delete all of their content and stop using the service. The fact these things are pushed through without warning, often with the blurb "continued use of this service indicates acceptance of the changes", means people are given no choice but to "agree" if they want to be able to either delete, or backup, the data they have stored.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Just because it's optional,

The changes to the policy have to be agreed upon by both parties, before they can be enforced.

If an existing user does not like the changes, they do not have to accept them and the existing rules have to be used until both parties agree on the proposed changes.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

@Big_D Re: Just because it's optional,

"If an existing user does not like the changes, they do not have to accept them and the existing rules have to be used until both parties agree on the proposed changes."

Nope. Doesn't work that way.

Facebook posts its ToS, if the ToS violates local law, then the local law enforcement will investigate and it goes from there. If Facebook is unwilling to fix the problem... then it will no longer be allowed to operate in those countries.

FB can block access and can be forced to do so.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: @Big_D Just because it's optional,

In Germany you can't change the terms of an agreement without the acceptance of both parties.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It doesn't matter

Anyone on Farcebook has no clue.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like