back to article National Rugby League boots 'metadata' right into Australia's face

Australian politicians and activists frustrated at their fellows' apparent indifference to the metadata data retention debate have cause to thank the National Rugby League (NRL). In its laudable battle against bad behaviour by the inadvertent role models who sign up to play in its competition. the NRL has announced new rules …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

*cough*

Soccer Football.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: *cough*

*cough*

Soccer... Football to your average Aussie is Rugby League or ARL

That said the A-League is way behind the NRL and the ARL but growing.

As an aside the NRL Integrity Unit is a total shambles but that's another story to debate long into the night with other Rugby League fans.

Beer... well what else do you have when watching the game?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Soccer... Football to your average Aussie is Rugby League or ARL

I could call golf something like "stick-ball-hole" but it's still golf.

2. The Gerb..

Soccer... Football to your average Aussie is Rugby League or AFL

That said the A-League is way behind the NRL and the AFL but growing.

there, FTFY...

2. Mark 65

Hmmm

It merely states they'd need to provide phone records. Now, the only record I have after the fact (depending upon how long after the fact, of a phone interaction is merely date, number, duration as provided by my carrier. Hardly going to provide much of anything really. Given we're talking NRL here, a 2 hour call at 3am could be a drunken redial that happened in the process of passing out with the recipient already in the target state.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wankers

For quite some time ( more than 15 years) you have been able to get a writen transcript of any phone conversation you have had in the last 2 weeks for a very small charge!

If i can do that from my local carrier , i dont have to amagine, i just know that any govt dept can do more.

1. ckdizz

Re: wankers

I can't get Vodafone to send me an accurate bill, despite asking hundreds of times. If I asked them for a transcript of one of my phone calls, do you think they'd accidentally send me an accurate bill? After they'd stopped laughing, of course.

4. ckdizz

You forgot...

"Since the same scandals that regularly "rock" the NRL - think consumption and/or involvement with distribution of illegal drugs, use of performance-enhancing drugs, drunkenness, biting fellow players and players committing violence against women - turn up in other sports it wouldn't surprise Vulture South to see this kind of policy spread across the codes – and across the sports sections of news sites."

You forgot to mention those that have yet to leap out of the cultures of the NRL: drinking your own urine, forcing a dog to lick your genitals, and taking a picture of someone doing either of the above and putting it on social media.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Biting fellow players?

Do they handbag them too? I presume scratching their faces is off limits, lest they ruin their fingernails.

When I were a lad, we'd rather lose if we couldn't win by the rules.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon