back to article WD reveals NASty new boxes for home and small biz use

WD has updated its My Cloud NAS products, adding more oomph for prosumers and two boxes for small-business-filing fanatic users. WD estimates we should expect 3.3TB of data storage in every home by 2016, and NAS is the way we should store files in homes and small businesses. WD claims its Red drive has the greatest drive …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Haku
      Thumb Up

Re: Fancy a bit of DIY?

If hot-swapping isn't a requirement, take a look at the Fractal Node 304 case. Holds up to 6 drives (7 if you get a 2.5" PCI backplane mount), Mini-ITX form factor, utilises a standard ATX PSU, 3 whisper-quiet fans with 3-speed setting, looks sleek and is solidly built.

1. P. Lee

Or if you have more space, I got a midi cooler-master case with 8 bays in it for the princely sum of AUD 34.00 (new) about a year ago.

I know, I'm cheap.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The latestt intel atom 8 core is very nice for this. Supermicro makes a mini-itx SoC with the Atom and is capped at 64GB of RAM. SoC seems like tbe way to go for home.

Not to be too cynical, but the hardware in these WD units ...blow (or something representing not great at all). It's my opinion that if you're serious about a home server, just head over to Supermicro and pick something then see how cheep you can find it. Anything bigger thana micro-itx form factor is just peacocking.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ebuyer were doing a Xeon 1245v3 Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 for £299.99 last week, sadly all gone now - that was a steal.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would be much better off buying something like iXsystems FreeNAS Mini - http://www.amazon.com/FreeNAS-Mini-Network-Attached-Diskless/dp/B00EQJ1BTU

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Anon: How much??? :-o

(body)

3. thomas k.

anti-stylish?

While I realize many/most of these things will be shoved under desks or stashed in server closets, I don't why the manufacturers couldn't do a little extra design work to make these things a bit more attractive. Style isn't everything and form should follow function but there's no reason these boxes have to be so butt fugly.

1. Charles 9

Re: anti-stylish?

I think they look quite nice actually. Very business-like. Evokes an image of being ready to get to work.

4. Matt_payne666

yes, you can build your own NAS for less, but for a few hundred quid is it really worth it?

Ive got 4 Qnap NAS boxes on sites and they are very reliable.

5. phil dude
    Joke

windows NAS....

Having a larf?

P.

6. fpx
    Boffin

I recently bought a WD MyCloud Mirror (4 TB in Raid 1 modem for €400). Works very well, and looks nice in the living room too. You can enable remote ssh access, and I can use rsync over ssh to backup my data. Or you can access it as a network drive in Windows. Then I can connect an external USB drive for a manual off-site backup. (It has options to backup to cloud storage, if you don't mind trusting Dropbox or Google with your unencrypted data.)

There's Android and iThing apps to upload and download pictures over the 'net, but I've configured my firewall to disable all net access for the box.

Only sore spot is that its DLNA server sucks. It insists on transcoding all media to a format that my BDP does not understand. You can change the configuration to "generic media server", and then it works, but the setting reverts to "broken" after every reboot, i.e., every night :-(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like