back to article Bradley Horowitz on ailing Google+: Islands in the stream, that is what we are ...

Google product veep Bradley Horowitz is now heading up the ad giant's fading fast Google+ service, but its name appears to have put the willies up Mountain View's execs lately – to the point where they simply don't mention it any more. Horowitz confirmed in a short statement that he had, in effect, taken over from the "network …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Needs a better name and it needs a USP.

1. Little Mouse
      Coat

That's a bit harsh. He can't help being called Bradley.

2. Metrognome

The sooner it gets decoupled from other services and stays optional, G+ may be fine.

There are people who would still like to use it and appreciate the flexibility of circles etc.

So long as membership to it, isn't tied to nearly everything in the G universe, G+ may do just fine for those that want it. Ramming it down peoples' throats just isn't going to cut it (just ask Sinofski).

3. jake Silver badge

google anything has been a dirty word ...

... on this here ranch right from the git-go.

Consume, consumers! Consume!

(mutters: Idiots.)

4. Whitter

Trust: hard to build; easy to demolish

Uses' need to put more than a little time/effort into building groups on a social network for it to have any worth. How many folks will take the effort to do so when Google may pull the plug at any point? They have history in that area after all.

1. RyokuMas
      Coat

Re: Trust: hard to build; easy to demolish

"How many folks will take the effort to do so when Google may pull the plug at any point?"

More Microsoft than Microsoft...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now can we untangle it from youtube comments and be done with it.,

6. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

Profit?

If they offered money then I'd join! Something like $10 a week would pay for a beer or two. Maybe they pitched it wrong but I cannot see the point of G+. Is it like Buzz?.

7. MatsSvensson

Time to break up Google's web-division, in two separate low-contrast and flat design -divisions.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It follows the Wave...

...if anybody even remembers it.

9. Robert E A Harvey

Tried it, it's stupid

The basic concept of g+ as a bit of social media is fine. But it seems to have gone all wrong.

* Hundreds of asians stealling and re-posting other peoples pictures, with no copyright traceability. They get "auto enhanced" every time till they end up looking like crayon images

* Snotty self-opinionated people setting up groups and then arbitrarily moaning about what you post.

* '+1' ing has become an end in itself. Loads of people trawling for likes

* I have not had a decent converstaion on it with anyone. Even facebook is better for that, and Usenet remains king for sensible discussion

1. Metrognome

Re: Tried it, it's stupid

You had me sold till the: "Usenet remains king for sensible discussion" bit.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: You had me sold

Well, yes. Most of usenet is a puerile mess and full of trash, but uk.rec.sheds remains a beacon of what discussion groups should be like.

2. Champ

I'm still amazed that Usenet's threaded conversation model has not been replicated on web forums. it really makes a huge difference, and why my social media platform of choice is still uk.rec.motorcycles,

1. Alan_Peery

> I'm still amazed that Usenet's threaded conversation model has not been replicated on web forums.

They have. Reddit and Slashdot both have a threaded model. The lack of the threading in Google+ is a serious limitation of the platform.

2. Robert E A Harvey

Hmm. A number of lines of text seem to have vanished. Suffice it to say I went on to criticise the inability to make nuanced reports. You can "report" a post but not offer any explanation of why, and anything reported just vanishes. There does not seem to be any attempt to correlate reports and build up a view on the originator, who seems free to do the same again straight away.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

* '+1' ing has become an end in itself. Loads of people trawling for likes

Have an upvote, sir!

10. x 7

just what is Google+?

1. Bob Vistakin
      Holmes

Facebook is the worlds people directory.

Linked In is the worlds business directory.

Google+ is for everyone else.

Clear now?

11. DrXym

I don't see the point for it

Facebook and Google+ are basically the same thing - a wall to post stuff on and (assuming you're interested) follow other people and see their posts in aggregate form. The problem for G+ is that Facebook got there first and it doesn't really have a differentiator. It's just another social wannabe with a fraction of the content.

It also copies the most annoying and evil aspects of Facebook. It nags you to provide more personal info. It nags you to connect to people "you may know". It nags you to join groups. It doesn't provide options to stop nagging you. It throws the switch on all the security / privacy settings and ensures the settings are deliberately vague or confusing so you're never quite sure if you are secure or not.

If G+ were NOT evil, or had a simple to control privacy, or if it acted more like a traditional home page where I could add feeds and other things of interest then I might use it. But as it is, it's just an intrusive bore.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: I don't see the point for it

You hit the nail on the head.

Google+ wasn't designed for the benefit of people, it was designed for for the benefit of Google, thus its interactions benefit Google, not the user.

And they're wondering why more people don't use it.

12. Patrician

I actually quite like G+; when I look at my FB wall all I see is multiple variations of, "Mrs Thingumy is taking her dog for a walk" or "Mr Whatsits is settling down with a pint"! Completely mindless drivel in the main and of no interest. On G+, however, I've "followed" N.A.S.A., Hubble, ScFi (discussion), Phil Plait, Discworld (discussion) and so forth.

There in much less inane, mindless drivel on G+ than there is on FB, or there is in my feed and I have had, and do have, quite a few interesting discussions there whereas on FB, nada ...

1. Richard Cranium

A friend who works in broadcast media says of all the social media comments they receive in response to their programming, those using G+ are the most likely to provide intelligent and considered feedback.

Sure there's scope for improvement but G+ has been described as "facebook for grown-ups" and facebook as "where you go to spy on your kids".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon