back to article Google pumps $60m into music company Kobalt

Google Ventures has pumped $60m (£39m) into London-based music tech company Kobalt Music, which helps publishers keep tabs on streaming services such as Spotify. The company has already received a stake from Michael Dell's private investment firm MSD Capital, with the latest funding adding to the princely sum of $66m (£43m) …

1. noboard

Hey Taylor

Instead of removing your songs from streaming services that your fans use, why not checkout how much services like this are charging. I bet they're taking a bigger cut then you'll recoup from keeping your music from your potential fans.

2. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

oh oh oh a-ee-ai!

Damn you for sticking the frog song in my head. It might be misremembered given how long ago it was but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

So I'll see your Macca and raise you that horrible little green bastard on a bike that was popular a decade ago.

3. intrigid

I can't believe it. I stared at that picture for a good 30 seconds thinking it was a tiny blob of strawberry jam on a coin. "Why? What does jam on a coin have to do with the story???"

4. Mark 85

So, how soon will Google grab Kobalt and roll it into their empire? When that happens, the artists lose again if the Youtube model applies.

5. swschrad

We start... with infringement.

Kobalt is a registered trade mark for tools sold by Lowe's, and that trademark is at least 10 years old. This music outfit is infringing from its inception.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon