back to article Ikea to start making electrified furniture. What could possibly go wrong?

Ikea, having successfully branded Sweden as a country associated with family disputes and cupboards with wonky doors, has now taken on the challenge of improving how we all live through Qi wireless charging technology. From 15 April, American and European Ikea customers will be able to buy flat-pack furniture which integrates …

1. Warm Braw

What could go wrong?

What usually goes wrong is Ikea's stock control.

You can pretty much guarantee that the separate components needed to build your home-hub charging station will never be in stock simultaneously, though the website will swear they are.

Pity that "Björn Block" isn't the Swedish answer to Lego...

2. Ole Juul

No electric chairs?

Too bad. I'm getting tired of the old whoopee cushion and was hoping for something a little more mortifying.

3. MrT

So...

... this is 'A Björn Block Accessory'. In the great way IKEA name this it'll be called something like 'Fältskog'. Or if that's too close, 'Meshuggah'...

1. Chris G

Re: So...

Self assembly via IKEA's cartoon instructions, I can see it now; several screws or fixings left over and some electrical insulation with a kid with VERY spiky hair, holding a smartphone on a little charging pad.....

4. John Lilburne

They'll sell more of these here mats ...

... if they make them vibrate.

5. skeptical i
    Devil

15th April is tax day in Amurka, interesting choice of release date.

After spending too many hours (or days) punching an adding machine, breaking pencils, and wading through forms, schedules, attachments, instructions, et cetera, 'Merkins will collectively decide that what they REALLY needed this tax season was a wireless charging station doo-dad thingie affixed to the dining room table that is buried somewhere under a mountain of tax-related papers (I know it's there, I can see the legs between the paper and the floor) and will thus stampede to the mall after dropping the tax returns in the mail in order to spend their anticipated tax refunds on just such a necessity. Not the most unreasonable marketing hypothesis I've heard.

1. Bart Fantastic

Re: 15th April is tax day in Amurka, interesting choice of release date.

Coincidence? Think not.

6. Eddy Ito

Pity they didn't go whole hole hog and do it right with a C14 or better a C20 inlet with built in surge suppression. No matter, I've already attached a power strip to the underside of my desk so there are only two wires left running across the floor to trip on. Maybe one day I'll get around to installing an outlet wart on the floor under the desk.

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    WTF?

Wrong end of the problem

Will Ikea sell Qi hardwood floors to power the Qi furniture, or do you still need to string an extension cord out to the middle of your living room?

8. Jedit Silver badge
    Angel

Another disappointing byline

Come on, El Reg - nobody thought of "IKEA to manufacture electric chairs"?

9. Oninoshiko

Laugh all you want

I'd buy a nightstand with a Qi charger in it, even if I had to assemble it myself.

Although I'd prefer something more sturdy then MDF.

10. hi_robb

Sounds good...

But I bet they'll charge for it...

11. Bart Fantastic

More like

they will certainly do...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon