back to article Guess who filed most Euro patents in 2014? Yep, still Samsung

The European Patent Office (EPO) has released its latest annual figures showing that the number of patents filed reached an all-time high in 2014. Samsung held on to its number one closely followed by Philips and Siemens. Huawei, LG, Qualcom, Ericsson and Intel also made the top 10. Nokia was only just outside that in 11th …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is there really more innovation or is it that everyone is patenting over-broad ideas of things they never intend to make?

Putting in my patent: Making things fall down using gravity.

A patent portfolio firm can buy the random toilet sitting idea from me and then use it to extract money from companies in the future if they happen to produce something successful that remotely sounds familiar.

Fed up of the patent system being abused these days. The rounded corners of the iPhone saa makes one wonder how many of the new patents are just as stupid.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Beat you!

My Patent application reads

Making things fall down using gravity using a Computer and or other internet connected device

2. Tim 7

My workmate wants to sue you after falling off a ladder answering his phone.

1. VinceH

Although that does indeed sound like Steve's patent, I think it's he that should be suing you - his invention didn't make you fall off the ladder. It's more a case of you've used his idea without permission or payment.

(Though I'm surprised Apple didn't get there first - there's clearly "a mobile device" involved here.)

3. arober11

76% are rejected ????

From the stat's it appears >76% of the applications are being rejected. Is there a breakdown, by company or country, of the number of failed applications (or granted), I'm wondering as I'm sure anyone with deep enough pockets could soar to the top of the application lists by simply filling 3k blank sheets of toilet paper, as long as their accompanied with the appropriate fees.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like