back to article RIP Leonard Nimoy: He lived long and prospered

Leonard Nimoy, the actor who became the most recognized face of the Star Trek franchise, has died at his home in Los Angeles at the age of 83. A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP — Leonard Nimoy (@TheRealNimoy) February 23, 2015 Nimoy was born on March 26, 1931 in …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Live Long And Prosper

It is a prophetic testament to our state as a race that we need an alien as a consciousness and it takes an alien to remind us to Live Long and Prosper and what does it take to do that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting OLD !!

All my childhood heroes are dead or dying.

Farewell Leonard, good luck on the last great adventure.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: Getting OLD !!

I know the feeling. Take comfort in the fact that getting old means you are certainly succeeding in the first half of "Live long and prosper", so keep up the good work, and prosper

3. Sandtitz Silver badge

Farewell

"Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

4. Chris G

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP

— Leonard Nimoy (@TheRealNimoy) February 23, 2015

Few people get to give pleasure and entertainment and to inspire memories and so much more in millions of people over several generations.

Thank you and Rest in Peace!

5. JacobZ

The original Star Trek pilot: an alternate future

The original pilot is worth seeing if you get a chance. It gives a glimpse of an alternate future, narrowly avoided, in which there was no Captain Kirk, and the character of Spock was intelligent but quite normal emotionally. When it was rejected by NBC, the role of captain in the second pilot fell to Shatner, and Spock's character became an amalgam of his original role plus that of an emotionally flat female bridge office called Number One, giving us the Spock we know today.

Incidentally Number One, played by Rodenberry's then-girlfriend, latter wife, Majel Barrett, was cut at the insistence of NBC partly because they didn't appreciate Rodenberry casting his girlfriend in such a major role, and partly because the character tested really badly with audiences. Rodenberry slipped her back into the series as Nurse Chapel, and I like to think of her character's unrequited love for Spock, the man who took her job on the bridge, as an inside joke.

1. John Miles

re: Majel Barrett

She was also the computer's voice in the series Wiki

and Lwaxana Troi (Deanna Troi's mother) in the TNG/DS9

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: re: Majel Barrett

I believe the only actor to have appeared in all the franchises. Mr Nimoy taking second place as, I believe, he didn't appear in Voyager or Enterprise.

6. Mr_Pitiful

RIP

RIP Leonard Nimoy

Mr Spock was one of my favorites

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Pint

Sad

Raising a pint to him as I spock speak/type.

1. Don Dumb
      Pint

Re: Sad

Seconded

8. hplasm
    Unhappy

Farewell, Spock.

Your star will always be of a greater magnitude than those around them, in their respective local cluster, of course.

9. William Donelson

As Nimoy and Spock remind us:

“The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few”

R.I.P. old friend.

10. Triggerfish

Have to say watched the death scene in Wrath of Khan, felt a bit watery round the eyes.

He'll always live long while there us scientist & engineers inspired by these characters out there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A bit watery?

Mine were flooded....

11. stu 4

:-(

arse.

83 though - a good innings.

for a human anyway.

for a vulcan - he died long before his time. :-(

12. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Jeez, I really don't know what to say.

You think giants like this man will live forever, but they don't.

What's sure is that he has made an enduring mark on humanity like few others do.

RIP

13. GregC

Sleep well, sir

I can't think of anything much to say right now, but simply Rest In Peace. You will be missed.

14. ashdav

Boldly Gone

RIP

15. skeptical i
    Pint

_In Search Of..._ teevee series

Leonard hosted the _In Search Of..._ teevee series during, ahhh, the 1970s here in Amurka and I would watch it religiously. I'm sure that if I were to watch it now with "adult" eyes I'd think it kinda' corny, but watching a discussion of killer bees moving northward, of whether spontaneous human combustion is possible, et cetera was interesting enough to this young 'un. Good works and a good heart; you will be sorely missed, my friend.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: _In Search Of..._ teevee series

Yes, I saw some of those too. It continually surprised me over the years how often his distinctive voice appeared on TV. Although I do try not to think about hobbits :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: _In Search Of..._ teevee series

Thanks for reminding me of ISO. Used to get home from school and watch a Trek rerun, then later an ISO episode. Didn't know at the time it was 'Spock' narrating.

16. Tel
    Unhappy

Well this has ruined my weekend.

You don't like to think of your icons dying, but when they (inevitably) do it can be a hammer blow.

Someone please tell me there's a Genesis Planet out there somewhere for him?

17. wsm

Binge watch time

I actually remember the Perry Mason appearance and the Mission Impossible series due to my habit of watching old TV late at night while deleting junk mail. Leonard always made a character worth watching.

I usually don't like the comedy stuff, but the Big Bang Theory appearance was very well done. Because it was really an homage to the cultural icon nature of Star Trek without the overbearing fan boys trying to get too much out of it, I will admit it was good for sci-fi as a whole.

Something like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkByAkAdZs

I'm going to miss Leonard Nimoy too.

1. Alan J. Wylie

Re: Binge watch time

Bilbo Baggins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

2. micheal

Re: Binge watch time

He also appeared in Columbo

18. Eddy Ito

It's hard for me to say which Leonard Nimoy role I enjoyed more, Spock or as host of the "In Search of..." series. Not that I suppose it matters since I grew up watching him on TV for a good portion of my youth through young adult and no matter the role I always found the show fascinating.

I only hope his loved ones know how many hearts and minds he touched and inspired. If ever the butterfly effect applied to a person, Leonard Nimoy is such a butterfly. Rest in peace.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dying is not logical. I wish him well with his next project.

20. Jimbo in Thailand
    Facepalm

DAMN! The tobacco industry claims another beloved icon

The fact that 'Spock' died from COPD just makes me want to cry. As an ex smoker I am painfully aware how unbelievably addictive nicotine truly is. Whether you've succumbed to nicotine's 'high' or not I'm sure, like me, that you personally know some victims who suffer from or have succumbed to COPD. I'm shocked and saddened that it's still business as usual for the tobacco industry. How is it even possible that the despicable tobacco companies are still allowed to sell their deadly products in this, the 21st century? The answer is it's simply capitalism at its worst. OK, enough about that.

I was in high school when Star Trek debuted and I never missed an episode during its initial 3-year run. Leonard Nimoy's incredibly unique Spock character definitely raised the bar exponentially for that genre and won't soon be forgotten. RIP Mr. Nimoy, you are already missed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: DAMN! The tobacco industry claims another beloved icon

How is it even possible that the despicable tobacco companies are still allowed to sell their deadly products in this, the 21st century?

Because it generates profit/tax now, whereas the costs come later (and are moved to private insurance which I suspect to eventually make this condition uninsurable). I am particularly impressed by how they sell it nations with a more intelligent population - somehow they managed to associate smoking with "freedom". It's also unavoidable to inhale secondary smoke when you're travelling with public transport - as soon as addicts are outside a train or bus they will be smoking for all it's worth, leaving no place to remain where the air is free of this toxin. Ditto for public places where they have to smoke outside, making terraces all but unusable.

Maybe I ought to eat vindaloos before travel, just to add some counterweight to the air pollution..

1. Havin_it
        Mushroom

This really doesn't feel like the time or place, but:

>I am particularly impressed by how they sell it nations with a more intelligent population -

Maybe because intelligent populations appreciate the concept of personal freedoms (and responsibilities), present company excepted.

>somehow they managed to associate smoking with "freedom".

Quite forward-looking, I'd say, given that it is now so heavily criminalised.

>It's also unavoidable to inhale secondary smoke when you're travelling with public transport - as soon as addicts are outside a train or bus they will be smoking for all it's worth, leaving no place to remain where the air is free of this toxin.

If there was still a smoking carriage, we'd be quite happy in there, as you could be in the rest of the train. (I admit buses can't generally stretch to this, but there is a little more space to spread out around a parked bus than on the average train platform.)

>Ditto for public places where they have to smoke outside, making terraces all but unusable.

OK, how about this: rescind the ban, then we won't have to smoke outside and you can fuck off outside for all the fresh air you desire.

>Maybe I ought to eat vindaloos before travel, just to add some counterweight to the air pollution..

And will you be outside the train squitting in, or vice versa?

[RIP Leonard, loved you in Trek and your uber-creepy turn in Body Snatchers '84]

1. fruitoftheloon
          WTF?

@Havin_it: Re: DAMN! The tobacco industry claims another beloved icon

Havin_it,

a very grown-up considerate response from a smoker...

I have a question for you, my wife, who has lost a large part of her lung capacity due to a relatively common illness, finds inhaling smoke more than a little unpleasant (as in too much and can we check if casualty are busy at the moment).

I take it that you have no problem with her having no choice but to inhale the smoke of inconsiderate f*uckwits whilst waiting at a bus stop etc??

Just wondered...

BTW I wish you no ill will at all!

Regards,

j

1. Havin_it
            Coat

Re: @Havin_it: DAMN! The tobacco industry claims another beloved icon

j,

I appreciate the qualification and I'm sorry to hear of your wife's ill health. No, the above wasn't terribly grown-up, it was a flat-out rant and I'm not hugely proud of it - what provoked it was largely the dragging off-topic of the thread if I'm honest, so I'll keep this short as I'm only making matters worse.

I'd hope that if your wife brought the immediate risk to her health to the attention of the smokers, they'd refrain or give her more space. I would, as would the few remaining (and many former) smokers of my acquaintance. Certainly disappointing if that hasn't been her experience.

I do just find it blackly humorous that those who (I assume) supported the ban are now miffed at the unintended consequences, which to the minds of most of us were entirely predictable. There existed better solutions than an outright ban that would have suited both sides better, but that wasn't punitive enough for the hardliners (of which the AC rather sounds like one).

Right I'm really quitting now (not in that sense, haha). Sorry, everyone, as you were.

1. fruitoftheloon
              Thumb Up

@Havin_itRe: @Havin_it: DAMN! The tobacco industry claims another beloved icon

Havin_it,

many thanks for your considered reply (not being sarcy btw).

Ooi I recall when she asked them if they could put their smoke somewhere else, the answer was 'basically 'eff off', which isn't terribly nice.

Good luck with the quitting thing, I know it is a tough call, btw wifey is a cancer treatment physicist, a lot of the folk that have come through their doors have been smokers.

In the cancer treatment trade, fags (UK definition thereof, NOT American) are apparently known as "cancer sticks"...

On a similarly ironic note, I lurve proper English pubs, and at the time I thought it a little extreme that where practical, there couldn't be a seperate smoking 'zone' - assuming it is not on the way to the lavs etc.

Cheers,

jay

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

thank feck the smoking carriage went! Just walking through the bleedy thing was foul. Why they couldn't just have Coach A as he smoking carriage instead of putting it in the middle so you land up walking through it to get to the buffet car. Just that few meter walk left you STINKING for the rest of the day.

And COPD isn't a nice way to go either. My OH used to work for Pizer and her front line drug she used to sell was for COPD

21. Conundrum1885
    Angel

RIP Spock

Dying from a largely preventable disease is not logical.

Maybe this will make people wake up and give up the evil weed already.

22. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Unhappy

He's dead, Jim

RIP

23. Tony S

RIP Leonard Nimoy

There will be very few people that don't know at least something about Star Trek and recognize the character of Spock. Even those that are not fans of SF will be aware at some level of the key aspects; and it's said that many people working in the field of science did so because of what they saw within the show.

Overall, that's a pretty good legacy.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is not logical!

Why am I crying?

1. fruitoftheloon
      Thumb Up

@AC Re: This is not logical!

Dear AC,

it seems pretty logical to me, I wonder if Spock's human 'elements' would agree?

I expect so.

Regards,

j

25. chivo243 Silver badge

As a child

In the shower when washing my hair, I used to smooth my hair down like Spocks.

I always loved the Vulcan nerve pinch. Especially in Star Trek IV when he silences the punk with the boom box on the bus!

Rest in Peace.

26. x 7

you missed the closest link to the computer industry: the Time Computers "Time Machine" adverts.

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71meib_q0MY

27. Kharkov
    Unhappy

Farewell, Spock...

How badass was Nimoy?

Now he's gone beyond the Great Frontier... TWICE!

28. jake Silver badge

Sad, but inevitable in the great scheme of things.

You were a better human than most, Leonard.

Your family is sad, but proud. You did it right.

See you on the other side, my friend.

29. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Very sad news...

but a good innings, and a good well filled life. What more could one ask?

30. Slx

It's a shame we can't all live as long as vulcans in reality!

He portrayed a character that has become a true cultural icon of the late 20th through to the 21st century and he inspired many people to think differently about the universe and probably even to explore careers in aerospace, science and technology.

While people can be very critical and even mocking of Star Trek and Trekkies, I think it's a genre of science fiction that shows how humanity could put its best foot forward and really just get on with exploring the universe, developing technology. It sets out an extremely grounded, humanist, progressive, socially inclusive, non-greed driven world that is quite refreshing when compared to other genres of sci-fi that tend to be caught up in wars and conflict.

RIP Leonard Nimoy - A true cultural icon and a legendary actor.

I suspect that Spock & Leonard will live on and prosper in the great database of human culture for many centuries to come.

Also my condolences to his family, friends and colleagues. He was one of the greats!

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't want to sound callous, but thank fuck for that!

At least we won't be subjected to yet another cameo appearence in the very poor reboots.

I'm not trolling. This is how i really feel.

1. DJV Silver badge
      Thumb Down

"This is how i really feel."

Please keep such feelings to yourself in future.

2. Afernie

Re: I don't want to sound callous, but thank fuck for that!

"I'm not trolling. This is how I really feel."

I'm pretty sure you are. But in the unlikely event that you are not, I feel sorry for you.

1. Shannon Jacobs

Stop feeding the trolls

Which reminds me to report my own sad trollage experience on this very topic...

I basically visit Facebook only to complain about Facebook-supported spammers and scammers. If I could only prove Facebook had leaked my email address to these spammers I'd also be the first one on the sue-em-to-death bus.

On a recent visit to complain, my eye was caught by a story about President Obama expressing his regrets about the death of Leonard Nimoy. Facebook also offered two comments for my enlightenment. Both were from trolls attacking Obama for various reasons. One was from a well-known racist, but I didn't check the second. That would have required 15 seconds of research, and no vile troll is worth 3 seconds.

Of course the saddest part is that Star Trek was so optimistic about the post-racist future of the USA (in Federation disguise, of course). Did you know the first interracial kiss on (American?) TV was in an episode of Star Trek? And NBC was seriously annoyed, of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop feeding the trolls

If I could only prove Facebook had leaked my email address to these spammers I'd also be the first one on the sue-em-to-death bus.

The problem is that you'll never be able to prove an illegal acquisition. Facebook acquires your details through a giant loophole in Data Protection: it asks your friends for your details instead of you directly, in which case it doesn't have to face those pesky rules that force it to tell you what it wants the data for (I must admit I don't quite know what protection data is afforded that has not been acquired through that permission process, I must look that up - it could be that they can just sell it).

That's also the primary driver behind its purchase of WhatsApp: the first things WhatsApp does is upload your entire address book to its US based servers (on Android it won't install unless you give it full rights, and on iOS it won't even start then) - I suspect they mainly had to because the "give us your mobile number for security" ruse didn't work too well (Google's been running the same scam).

I run my own mail server, and I create aliases to use with companies I don't trust so I can track distribution, and kill off the alias if it gets too much spam (an alternative is sites like Spamgourmet who create such an alias for you). However, that won't help with Facebook as it steals your proper address off your friends :(

3. fruitoftheloon
      FAIL

@Callous AC: Re: I don't want to sound callous, but thank fuck for that!

Ac,

I don't think you sound callous.

Stupid, naive, inconsiderate, moronic possibly.

Callous? Not at all...

J

1. ukgnome

Re: @Callous AC: I don't want to sound callous, but thank fuck for that!

Oh, I was going for an anagram of CNUT

32. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Well, my thoughts are with his family.

Jobs and Wozniak famously had a Spock poster in the garage they founded Apple in, which is indicative of the inspiration that character gave to many in the futurist-focused tech industry. In fact, it's hard to think of a person who's career largely became typecast, but had such an impact on the popular consciousness.

Rest in peace, Leonard Nimoy.

33. Chas

The is a little bit of Unicode that is forever Spock

Lurking away in the Miscellaneous Symbols and Pictographs block is the Vulcan Salute: U+1F596. One font that has this character is the OpenType font Symbola.

Rest In Peace, my friend.

34. Timbo

Lager Advert

RIP Mr Nimoy - a man who despite typecasting still had time for humanity in his words and deeds. You'll be greatly missed and in days to come, you will be remembered, both in character and as a person.

On a different note, having seen various images of Nimoy circulating the web over the last day or so, I'm reminded of an advert (for Heineken beer) that for me always made me smile:

[url]http://www.zteamproductions.com/beerspock2.jpg[/url]

I offer it now, in his memory, though I will be supping a Guinness instead.

35. jason 7

Thank You Mr Nimoy

I greatly enjoyed your work.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inspired character

As a kid I loved the way they would taunt him but in a friendly way, turned a light on human response and it's occasional triumph over cold logic.

Something that sprang to mind while thinking about the trips off ship, these days the communicators would be going off every five minutes, Start fleet command, they want to know if you have filled out a risk assessment for this beam down, another, don't bring any native intoxicants back without galactic tax and transit form 11b etc.

Ah simpler times for sure.

37. hammarbtyp

His many talents outweighed his character

There is no doubt his character of Spock was a great role model for me. I mean here was a character who was a expert in science and technology, but also could kick serious ass when needed and was a serious babe magnet, without even trying. Up to this point all nerds were played as bumbling boffins in white coats trying to locate their glasses or acne ridden four eyes youths with as much sex appeal as a road accident.

However his later life showed a man of many talents that should not be over shadowed by that one role. Not only a great Actor, but Photographer and Director,

Will be greatly missed, but always remembered LLAP.

38. fortran

Maybe visit Vulcan?

Vulcan does exist, and Leonard Nimoy has visited there. If you are even in southern Alberta, Canada consider visiting. Lots of other strange sites in small places nearby, for example: Manyberries is the sunniest place in Alberta, and there is a place called One Four, which is 14 miles from somewhere else (used to be an Ag Canada research station there).

Vulcan is situated at 50.4° North latitude, 113.25° West longitude and 1050 meters elevation above the sea level.

Vulcan is a small community in Canada, having about 1,853 inhabitants.

http://www.townofvulcan.ca/

Thank you for the memories Leonard Nimoy. RIP.

1. fishman

Re: Maybe visit Vulcan?

I went to the town of Vulcan homepage - it has a Starfleet insignia at the bottom of the page.

39. Mr Dogshit

Wasn't he at one point the face of OS/2?

Or OS/2 Warp

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wasn't he at one point the face of OS/2?

He was the face of "Time Computers" back in the mid 2000's.

Properly nice bloke...

Will Be Missed...

LLAP man who influenced my life to look at things logically.....

40. Camilla Smythe

Sorry about this.

Please can anyone tell me what Nimoy, or for that matter Shatner... and the others, contributed to anything beyond going 'blah' in a fillum and ultimately ending up on You Tube?

"Spock you are dead."

"Logically speaking we cannot therefore have this conversation. Fuck off and leave me in piece."

1. Preston Munchensonton
      WTF?

Re: Sorry about this.

You might need this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=star+trek

1. Camilla Smythe

Re: Sorry about this.

Thanks..

http://i.imgur.com/y63zfn5.png

http://i.imgur.com/FeKQtiO.png

I apologise for my previous post and will give no explanation.

41. klucky

I could never put my finger on why I liked Spock so much. In my late thirties I realised that I had some symptoms of Autism and Aspergers in my ADHD, the way he was appreciated showed that it was ok to not be an emotional human being and you could be appreciated for your loyalty, dedication and friendship even if you did struggle with the things that come so easily to others!

42. cduance

Science Officer

Possibly the single reason I love science and technology so much.

Someone is building a hell of a crew. Scotty, Bones, Spock

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Science Officer

They are patiently waiting for William Shatner, then I suppose they will be ready

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks Mr Nimoy

Don't think anyone else could have brought Spock to life any better, the all time best sci-fi character IMHO.

Check out this great Spock track by the French Band, Cucumber. A very fitting epitaph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcYMMEzY5FU

RIP

44. Wommit
    Alien

RIP Mr. Nimoy

No, it's not dusty in here. With this news, I am crying.

45. ben kendim

I have his katra...

.. as I am sure many of his other fans do as well.

He was a great inspiration to me as a kid to get into science..

Thank you Leonard!

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another classic case

of someone being hyped up beyond all reason.

As the article accurately stated, ST wasn't as big a hit as people might have thought, and most of the films were shite.

He lived, he acted (with varying degrees of success) and died.

That is all.

1. earl grey
      Mushroom

Re: Another classic case

ODFO

RIP Mr. Spock

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I do hate word mincers.

What you WANTED to say was this:

"At AC. His life, whilst no more meaningful to you then anyone elses, WAS meaningful to me.

So, please, Do Fuck Off. I'm sorry you are such an empty vessel that there is no room for anyone else in there...

2. fruitoftheloon
      WTF?

@AC: Re: Another classic case

Dear Ac,

ignoring the chips on your shoulders, you are of course entitled to your opinion.

Is there any particular reason why you are hiding behind posting your actual handle on here?

I mean it is not as if Bubba and his friends are going to pop around later and encourage you to be respectful of someone you didn't like is it now?

Regards,

jay

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Reg, can we please change Anonymous Coward to Anonymous Troll as this is a more accurate reflection of why people go AC.

47. kain preacher

How much

do want to bet that there will some folks dressed up in star trek uniforms, a few volcan too

48. Sokolik

Quick chevrons

Don't know about his U.S. Army, but in mine, about 20 years later, Private Basic to Sergeant in two years was, pardon the expression, warp speed. Seems perhaps our friend was a prodigy. Put another way, seems he demonstrated early all the talents and wisdom attributed to him here in this discussion.

Yeah, I know, always the military angle.

49. Colin Brett

For completeness ...

Leonard Nimoy's TV roles also included the part as William Bell in Fringe.

Colin

50. Douchus McBagg

Tuesday, 6/6:30pm, BBC2

childhood memories of mum having the TV on for ST reruns, STNG, then a hole in the schedule that got filled with Bab5, Seaquest DSV, Quantum Leap, original Battlestar, buck rogers...

not a trekkie myself per-say, but he just lent a quietly distinguished air of class and professionalism as the straight man to kirk's capers.

good memories. unexpected role model, getting kids into science and learning. lots of respect, very sad to hear of his passing. best wishes to his family - he was a good part of my growing up.

also reading this and wondering now how much influence my mum had over my development of scientific interest while she did the ironing humming along to the ST/NG opening theme tune.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For any of you unaware

Star Trek the Animated Series is well worth a look.

Its old but has all the charm of the original.

And, Star Trek Resurected, a fan based show and its bloody good.

Grant Imaharo out of MythBusters plays Sulu...

52. MJI Silver badge

RIP

I liked his portrail of Spock and anything else I have seen Leonard Nimoy has been in he has played the role well.

53. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Can I just decloak my real age here...

...by saying I remember him best for the Mission Impossible TV series?

I can't quite accept that he's dead. They tried to fool us once before but he came back. So I'm still hoping...

54. El_Fev

RIP Mr Spock

As someone has posted, its sad when all your childhood heros die :(

55. Dan Paul

I remember it too well...RIP Leonard Nimoy

It's too bad that my childhood TV heroes lives are slowly getting canceled. Thank god that most of them went easy and weren't doing some infomercial.

I used to walk half a mile over to my friends house as his Dad had built a Heathkit color TV and it was the only one nearby. No sense in watching Star Trek in black & white if you could have color.

We would lay on the floor and eat home made cookies, watch Star Trek and comment on it. It was a welcome respite from Walter Cronkite and all the Vietnam War news allowing ones imagination to soar past the boundries of this Earth and it's problems if only for a little while.

Star Trek was very influential at the time, providing great social examples and morals that TV has too few of today.

It's really too bad those days are gone but time waits for no one, not even Spock.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon