back to article NBN Co says TWO broadband connections are better than one

NBN Co, the entity building Australia's national broadband network, has come up with an odd suggestion: two broadband connections, each running on different access technologies, are better than one. The suggestion is odd because NBN Co's mandate is to give each Australian household and business one internet connection using …

1. M0les
    WTF?

Yeah... weird

The issue of "contention" superficially makes some sense (i.e. one service could be "best effort" and the other is "lifeline"), but SDH/ATM (The underpinnings of all the DSLs) allow allocating hard minimum limits and priorities on more than 1 virtual path/circuit (VP/VC), so it's actually a moot issue.

The idea of having 2 services terminating in different places in the premises has no relevance to what technologies they use (Surely 2 x FTTP is better than having an HFC in the mix?) and the repeater/extender argument is entirely valid.

1. JamesTQuirk

Re: Yeah... weird

Yes but possible, even just using Internet Connection Sharing in Windows OS, a trick in dial-up days was to combine multiple lines to increase speed, I could ramble on but, here's the pretty version, http://www.wikihow.com/Combine-Two-Internet-Connections

This "should" work with with say a NBN Fibre connection & a ADSL2 line & a mobile phones Hotspot WiFi, as well ...

But I can't see why home users, or SOHO would require it, you would really need to be shifting LOTS of Data Quickly to need more than NBN Fibre can provide or Maybe stuck with low speed ISP with low connection rates, so by combining them get the transfer rate you need ...

It's not just the "Internet" that needs these high connection rates, robotics telemetry data, Visual Data, Audio Data, Sensor Data, all take bandwidth, and communication & data transfer between "system's" that Control Driverless cars, Drones etc, it's about getting things real-time as well ...

2. P. Lee

For home or business?

It might make sense for business to run two different ISPs, two different forms of tech which might follow different physical paths. Also, the HFC component may already be there. This means they're just adding fibre. That could be permanent or a migration path.

Get them into thinking about redundancy from the start? That would be good.

Praiseworthy, but perhaps a little distracting from their main objective, which is getting fibre to my house. :p

3. borkbork

How is this new?

Seems like a weird topology with unecessary duplication.

Triple WAN routers have been common for a few years now, I'm just waiting for a service to plug into the ethernet port on mine. Then just add APs where needed.

4. Francis Vaughan

Did you read the blog right to the end?

Seriously, this article reads as if the author only read the first paragraph. The blog explicitly notes that Singapore is a different market - even uses WT... when describing the offering, and nowhere at all does it suggest that the model has relevance to Australia except to act to reinforce the notion that HFC is still of some value. There is certainly no suggestion that NBN Co is interested in following the model - so why suggest that it did?

5. rtb61

Basically, they know that coax is shite but Rupert demands to be paid back for his winning them the election. So basically a free gift of billions of tax payer dollars for a network that was going to be scrapped.

In your face corruption, now, if there is no Royal Commission into the purposefully corrupt mishandling of the NBN, then the opposition is just a corrupt. People should be going to jail for what is happening to the NBN.

6. Fluffy Bunny

Why does it matter?

I'm not sure that it really matters. An Internet company can do whatever it wants.

Oh, wait. They're using taxpayer's money to do it. In that case, all you really need is a tin can and a piece of string. If you want more, why don't you pay for it yourself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like