back to article Oh No, Lenovo! Lizard Squad on the attack, flashes swiped emails

Lenovo's domain name lenovo.com appears to have fallen victim to cyber-mischief-makers Lizard Squad. In the past few minutes, the computer giant's website has been updated to display a slideshow of webcam photos of a bored-looking youth instead of its normal wares. There's some God awful slushy pop music playing in the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The teens like this one doing odd ball shit with their style is strange to me, but I get it. However, I'm starting to see 30+ year old people doing this too, which is outright WRONG!

As far as the kid hacking Lenovo...good job. Now just "semi-legitimize" it by turning it in for homework (might get you off the hook...somewhat).

2. John Tserkezis

Just when I was thinking "What could possibly go more wrong with Lenovo?", we get this.

Can't say I'm entirely surprised though, I mean, they've already proved they don't give a fly rat's arse about our security, so why should they care about their own?

3. Ole Juul

Here we go again

Shades of Sony. Now all we need is the FBI to dogpile on this one. I don't think this is in the same category, but it does look like we're starting to see a template evolve here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: Here we go again

It was Iran! Definitely Iran.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Here we go again

It was North Korea. Start carpet bombing civilians now!

4. cbars Bronze badge
    Joke

Nuh uh

No, no guys, the site is legit! The little padlock in my browser says I'm good to go! These are definitely the chaps at lenovo.com.

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Shhh!

Aw. My post about a certain company, involved with this and other El Reg articles, selling services to both sides of the battle does not seem to pass El Reg moderation.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Moderation

Your last rejected comment was in December (and was about something else completely – namely, asking for a troll icon next to a certain journalist's articles).

C.

6. LaeMing
    Trollface

Re: The wording of that tweet.

Even CloudFlare is determined to keep their distance from any association with Lenovo!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whois tells you the registrar and maybe the email address to use as username, and the only question is, is the PW lenovo123 or Lenovo123?

Use a friggen password generator, corporate marketing people! :)

Keepass, Lastpass, whatever, cloud-based or not, ANYTHING is better than what I see EVERY SINGLE CLIENT doing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given what can go wrong, I'd rather keep vital passwords the same way we keep crypto keys. Paper, locked up in at least two safes in two distant locations under physical two-man rule/control. We've already seen anything electronic can be gotten to no matter how you air-gap them.

[I used to second person a lot.]

8. nsld
    Paris Hilton

I'm so ronery

And cue the blame being placed on Kim Jong Un in 5,4,3.....

9. Adam T
    Facepalm

But what happens next?

Does that kid get his replacement a Yoga, or have the hackers ruined everything??

10. Phil Koenig

Pity

I will admit, having hackable DNS for their core internet domain does call into question their corporate priorities.

It's a pity, because Lenovo is one Chinese company that I have historically had pretty decent faith in.

As a longtime IBM and Thinkpad user/recommender/supporter I was quite skeptical when the Lenovo takeover was announced. But over the years they have earned my trust for the most part. (Notwithstanding some of their product choices like not generally offering high-quality display panels on laptops these days)

Lenovo is not like most Chinese companies, they are highly globally diversified (in terms of ownership and workforce) - significant parts of top management are not native Chinese, with some important divisions outside of China - and they don't have major ties with the PLA or CPC. They also seem to treat their workers decently.

Thus I am inclined to think that this issue was mostly the result of attempts to squeeze extra revenue out of the mass-market product lines with the over-zealous use of "crapware", the impacts and implications of which were not fully grasped by the responsible parties. (Most likely, marketing types) Rather than some nefarious plot to spy on all their customers.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And what now?

Sony had the global rootkit attack - nothing was done.

LG TVs sniffed all the network data they could - nothing was done.

Samsung spies on its TV owners - nothing is being done.

Lenovo subverts its user's security - nothing is being done.

Other companies engage in the same subversions as Lenovo - nothing is being done.

It has been reported that a certain social media company is listening in on your phone conversations to target advertising - nothing is being done.

When will the executives of these companies face jail time for their cyber-attacks? If we are willing to lock up script kiddies who deface websites (small change in the great scheme of things), why are we unwilling to jail CEOs when they fail to control their minions? And I do mean the CEO. They are in charge, they are 100% liable unless they can prove in a court of law that some other agent acted against orders/policy.

I guess it's like the banking failures. No one faced an real penalties, no CEOs were jailed, none had their assets stripped and they got to keep their fat bonuses (or they exited and strolled into another overpaid job).

If you are a CEO getting paid millions plus millions in bonuses and your company screws up as badly as Lenovo, HSBC etc have; then you **MUST** be held to account. So start doing your damned job.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Joke

Re: And what now?

"If you are a CEO getting paid millions plus millions in bonuses and your company screws up as badly as Lenovo, HSBC etc have; then you **MUST** be held to account"

Oh come on, we all know that rich people are Better Than Us(tm) and can't be held accountable to the same rules. Honestly, next you'll be saying we should punish bankers for screwing up, rather than giving them more money.

1. jason 7

You joke...but it proves who is really in charge of things.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Oh come on, we all know that rich people are Better Than Us(tm) and can't be held accountable to the same rules"

Have you ever thought about exactly what 'privi' - 'lege' actually means?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Honestly, next you'll be saying we should punish bankers for screwing up, rather than giving them more money.

AC already did:

I guess it's like the banking failures. No one faced an real penalties, no CEOs were jailed, none had their assets stripped and they got to keep their fat bonuses (or they exited and strolled into another overpaid job).

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

I can tell you what now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Videokamera-Professional-Surveillance-Accessories-Investigator/dp/B00MLB4V92/

Now, tell me, "what are the civilian^Wlegitimate applications"

12. Tom 13

probably best not to open the page

I'll second that advice.

Got a call last night from the Lenovo owner whose laptop I cleaned before the MITM malware news broke. I subsequently sent her the direct link to Lenovo's page for checking if your laptop is vulnerable. Apparently she got reinfected as soon as she attempted to use their tool to check on it. So the laptop is headed back to me this weekend.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like