back to article Leaky battery attack reveals the paths you walk in life

More than 100 mobile apps leak users' location regardless of whether they opt to keep the information private, according to researchers. Power consumption data is the source of the leaks, which make it possible to determine users' whereabouts with 90 percent accuracy. A quartet from Stanford University and Israeli defence …

1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Eh?

PowerSpy pulls signal strength, voltage, current, GPS coordinates, .........

Well, I would think if you have GPS co-ordinates, then all the other stuff is just padding.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

1. This is POC - to prove the point and show correlation.

2. WiFi power budget and cell power budget can give you for a specific scenario location (and/or) movememnt of the target in an environment where GPS is useless such as a mall. In that case, you need the GPS for the coarse coordinates before you start looking at the indoor locators

3. This is of specific interest for "specific" applications such as passive monitoring of a target mark because in one innocuous looking call you get:

3.1. Is the phone in use or not. High power budget means screen is on and user is doing something

3.2. Is the user moving indoors (and outdoors for that matter) without querrying GPS

3.3. If you have an external correlator you can get location too.

4. There is a lot of prior art here too. One of the techniques to attack crypto on embedded devices for a long time has been to monitor their power draw.

2. cantankerous swineherd

made me laugh as well!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The researchers' app has GPS access to compile route profiles in advance of an attack. They haven't bothered to actually make a dedicated app to deploy on target phones - they don't need to do so. Such a malicious app on the target's phone would only require access to battery data and the network. From the PDF:

Suppose an attacker measures in advance the power profile consumed by a phone as it moves along a set of known routes or in a predetermined area such as a city. We show that this enables the attacker to infer the target phone’s location over those routes or areas by simply analyzing the target phone’s power consumption over a period of time.

. . .

We emphasize that our approach is based on measuring the phone’s aggregate power consumption and nothing else. We do not read the phone’s signal strength since that data is protected on Android and iOS devices and reading it requires user per-mission. In contrast, reading the phone’s power consumption requires no special permissions and we therefore focus all our efforts on what can be learned from this data.

We assume a malicious application has been installed on the victim’s device and runs in the background while the victim is tracked. The malicious application has neither permission to access the GPS, nor other location providers (e.g. cellular or WiFi network). The application has no permission to access the identity of the currently attached or visible cellular base stations or SSID of the WiFi networks.

3. Pete Smith 2

This is the proof of concept & calibration application.

They've left the GPS code in there so that they can get the battery levels against location to act as a way of baselining the system.

Presumably they could then turn GPS location off, and pass the power usage back through the baseline data, and reconstruct the location.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Roaming

I see 17236 has wandered away from the infrastructure quite a bit recently, if he gets to -120 dBm trigger the explosives, can't have that sort of thing.

1. phil dude
      Coat

Re: Roaming

Running Man ref?

P.

3. thomas k.

Aside from "victims need only install an attacker's app"

I'm guessing this only works if (a) the phone has a SIM card in it and (b) the phone is turned on?

1. Crisp

Re: Aside from "victims need only install an attacker's app"

And "if an attacker has a general idea where their target is".

I suppose if you've got a general idea where they are it makes it easier to coerce them into installing the app.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I'm guessing this only works if (a) the phone has a SIM card in it and (b) the phone is turned on?

Yes, that is correct.

The idea is this:

- Location data (GPS and course location from cell tower ID and trig) require permissions in Android and iOS.

- Power Consumption data and Network access are commonly granted permissions in Android and iOS.

The researchers are using 'innocent' power consumption data as a proxy for signal strength data.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That isn't true re: iOS.

Power consumption data isn't available to apps on iOS. It's only available while tethered to the development host.

Further, in iOS true battery level information is protected from apps by approximating to the nearest 5%.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

iOS approximating battery level to nearest 5%

Do the developer notes mention why this was done? I assume it was this done for security - i.e. limit sharing of information that apps don't need to avoid giving away information they shouldn't have. Can't see any other reason why access to battery level would be quantized like that.

Interesting that Apple shows such advanced security thinking here, but has lagged in other areas like not supporting two factor authentication in iCloud until it caused a PR problem.

1. FlatSpot

Re: iOS approximating battery level to nearest 5%

Or just lazy coding and can't be arsed to "expose" the data... which is more likely?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: iOS approximating battery level to nearest 5%

Someone developing iOS added something like (battery / 5) * 5 for a reason. A lazy coder does not add code like that.

3. Annihilator
      Thumb Up

"I'm guessing this only works if (a) the phone has a SIM card in it and (b) the phone is turned on?"

Probably limited to air-breathing users too.

4. seacook

Hmmm. How do you turn an idevice completely off?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hold the button on top down and "slide to power off" comes up. I assume Android operates similarly, is that not "off" enough for you?

4. TheProf
    Angel

Much easier

If you want to know where a phone user is just call them.

"I'M ON THE BUS."

5. Truth4u

very clever

and pointless.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So this requires the target to install an app that, in turn, calls home and sends the power consumption figures.

Now my question. Who in their right mind installs odd apps just for the sake of it without knowing exactly what those apps are going to do?

1. JamesPond
      Holmes

" Who in their right mind installs odd apps" ... well I'm sure NSA/GCHQ won't call it "Track my location by my power usage app", more likely it will be "Free Battery Power Monitor" or "Angry Birds 2015" or they'll build the code into the SIM card code that they've already hacked!

2. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

My answer to your question.... the majority of the technically illiterate numpties on the planet e.g. world and dog.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: My answer to your question.... the majority of the technically illiterate numpties on the planet e.g. world and dog."

Yes, most of the apps offered in the Googlestore seem to grab all sorts of permissions that have no relevance to their function. Not the least being call data.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Terry 6, that is exactly my point. I have yet to understand just why people aren't more careful about what they install and, more to the point, what it uses.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Being able to search the Google Play Store apps by permission level would be nice.

1. x 7

can you write an app to do that?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As a proof of concept, it also means ALL those apps and OS (and telco installed data/bug logging) apps can be used to get some data on you.

Not a massive worry. I'd be more concerned with the camera or audio or usage data.

4. Nigel Whitfield.

In some businesses, people may have to install an app that's been developed in house, for instance. And since an app using this technique doesn't throw up any alerts about permissions, some companies might well think they could do this.

Remember that in some situations, knowing that someone isn't where they are supposed to be could be just as useful as knowing where they are. A company with people who work in the field might well find this sort of technique handy for knowing whether or not their reps are where they're supposed to be, or if they're spending rather too long at lunch, instead.

Bung a library that does this into an app that provides a corporate manual, brochure or something like that, and you have a tracking system on employees' phones, without them being any the wiser.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Puts Physicists hat on...

This can also be applied to electrons, or more specifically any particle in the universe.

As no two particles can share the same energy state, we only need to know their power use, and we know their location in the universe (to the planck scale).

[Physicist shouts at me and asks for their hat back...]

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. x 7

Strange that within a week we should get another expose of an Israeli snooping technique.

Is there a Jewish equivalent to Snowden out there leaking this stuff secretly?

9. MotionCompensation

Looks similar to this:

http://m.slashdot.org/story/157976

TV viewing habits revealed through smart meters.

10. Stevie

Bah!

So, if I read it right, to avoid being tracked you simply have to stay out of California and Israel.

Well, I call "SAFE"!

11. asdf

Privacy guard ftw?

The real question for me is by default on Cyanogenmod 12 with the apps under privacy guard do you by default at least get prompted when these apps try to access battery data or whatever? May have to test that. If not they now need to fix that asap.

12. Uffish

Just hold your iPhone the wrong way.

Numpty spy: "I see a spike in power consumption - that means that the target has just driven into the underpass where the signal level drops very low".

Engineer: "Or he's just holding the phone the wrong way".

13. Cynic_999

I don't believe it. Firstly it would mean that the attacker has compiled a detailed power profile of every location inside an area covering everywhere the target is likely to go, secondly that the power profiles will remain static rather than changing with e.g. cell congestion or physical objects such as vehicles and thirdly that there are no two routes that would generate very similar power profiles.

14. x 7

"Firstly it would mean that the attacker has compiled a detailed power profile of every location inside an area covering everywhere the target is likely"

Easy for the Israelis in the West Bank or Gaza

especially after most sources of interference have been removed by bombing the power stations and grid out of existence

Don't forget whose technology this is...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inaccurate Accuracy Reporting...

From the article: "Power consumption data is the source of the leaks, which make it possible to determine users' whereabouts with 90 percent accuracy."

Come on El Reg - this needs clarifying. Does it mean it's exactly accurate 90% of the time, or locates you within the correct 10% of the earth's surface all the time, or something in between that '90 percent accuracy' totally fails to convey?

Looking forward to enlightenment,

AC

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like