back to article Google hooks up with group formerly known as ISIS to battle Apple Pay

Google has inked a major deal with mobile payment alliance Softcard that will see its Google Wallet payments system pre-installed on phones sold by American carriers AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. The carriers will begin shipping the Google Wallet app later this year on mobes running Android 4.4 "KitKat" or higher, according to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame about the renaming

As Michael "Hairy Camel" O'Leary would say: all publicity is good publicity. Bit of a missed opportunity there.

Besides, they could have laid claim to large chunks of the Middle East.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Shame about the renaming

I think they will be forced to rename themselves to avoid anyone mistakenly thinking they are now linked with Google

2. RyokuMas
    Devil

E*3

"Google has inked a major deal with mobile payment alliance Softcard that will see its Google Wallet payments system pre-installed on phones sold by US carriers AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon."

Embrace...

3. Tom 13

I used Google Wallet a couple of times 6+ years back.

Never got any of the stuff I ordered with it, couldn't make a claim against them.

So I personally regard Google Wallet as different sort of SuperFish.

As always, YMMV.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I used Google Wallet a couple of times 6+ years back.

that's quite a remarkable feat, especially since google wallet is less than 4 years old...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: I used Google Wallet a couple of times 6+ years back.

He bought a used Delorean

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"He bought a used Delorean"

But it's not 1985, they don't sell plutonium in every corner drug store...

4. Crazy Operations Guy

One more middleman

Why do we need yet another middleman just to pay for our goods? So now, we'll have Google taking a fee just to send the work of processing a payment to the credit card provider, who in turn shift the work to the bank; and if its a credit rather than a debit card, push the burden to a massive financial firm.

5. KroSha

I'm almost surprised (but not really) that VISA and MasterCard aren't trying to muscle in on the action.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like