back to article Finally, a decent use for big data: Weeding out crooked City traders

Financial institutions in London could use "big data" technology to pinpoint malpractice by City traders in future, a panel advising the Bank of England has said. The Market Practitioner Panel (MPP) said existing methods of monitoring for illegal trading practices, such as "key word surveillance", were flawed and that …

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Big Data

Certain people have been too busy spying on us to think about doing their jobs until now?

Nice!

2. Gordon 10
    WTF?

WTF

Putting aside for a moment the fact that Big Data is just the buzz word / consulting revenue earner du jour, I do wonder how "predictive coding" (new one on me) is distinct from the big basket of analytic and data science techniques that have always hidden under the auspices of those horrid words "Big Data".

Since traders in particular are monitored up the wazoo already I can almost guarantee that every major bank has been mining that data for a good few years now. Whether its any better than state surveillance at spotting bad behaviour is another question entirely. :)

Its also worth noting that some of quantitative techniques that underlie the Big Data hypegasm have been being used on Market, Trading and Risk data and decisions for at least a decade - with decidedly mixed results.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WTF

100% agree. It does seem that a group of people who don't really understand what "Big Data" is have decided it's the solution because it's the latest buzz word and that somehow it'll magically pick out all the dodgy dealing.

It's the sort of idea Jen would have come up with. Or, perhaps my father-in-law:

"I've enabled AHCI", he says.

So I ask "Why?".

He replies "To help the IO subsystem".

I then have to ask "Do you know what an IO subsystem is?".

Silence...................

3. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Title

Don't hold your breath on that...

UK hierarchy looks after itself whatever plods or software imply?

4. Keven E.

Not so big

"...with decidedly mixed results."

Too much chaos for data to be meaningful, but they'll keep trying to sell it as a predictability, of course. At least some things are predictable.

Just... compare who are "friends" and who makes money most of the time. How many or how long can winning streaks be? Or... is beyond the threshold of "WTF were you thinking? If you keep that up, everyone will find out the game is rigged". That information doesn't seem to need to be so big to extract that conclusion.

5. James 51

Iif that predictive coding really works that well, after building the profile surely it could replace those traders.

6. The Vociferous Time Waster

Old news

this sort of analysis is used in many large retail organisations to spot fraud - if an employee is doing too many refunds or taking a higher proportion of big ticket purchases then the revenue protection guys get tipped off to investigate

1. Keven E.

Real old news

I'll take it one step further... farther... father?

"However, firms do need to exercise some caution and accept that there will be some behaviours and trades that appear suspicious on the face of it but which are in fact perfectly legitimate."

Let's see.. it is, in fact, perfectly legitimate to take money+infomation=more money, so, yes please tell us you are excercising caution when you are trying to distinguish between profitability and profit. We'll believe you.

"Technology can be used to flag malpractice but there should be follow up procedures to ensure firms understand the context of traders' actions before taking any disciplinary action."

Let's see... the context of traders actions is to make money... mostly for themselves, but *sometimes through and for a 3rd, 4th, 5th... party, so please explain to us what/who these "follow-up procedures are for. We'll believe you.

7. Naughtyhorse

finding crook traders?

Isnt that like finding a needle in a haystack...

made of needles?

1. Gannon (J.) Dick

Re: finding crook traders?

Worse, it's a magic needle-stack that turns into hay when you drag it across the equator and it gets bigger if you drag it backwards across the International Date Line.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How are they planning on monitoring use of private communication channels?

Help from GCHQ to snoop personal email, bug their cell phones for location and call history and/or content information? You can figure out insider trading is happening if a certain trader is always on the right side of trades in a given company, and his phone's GPS comes within 2 meters of the GPS of the phone of that company's CFO. Because you can, doesn't mean you should.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How are they planning on monitoring use of private communication channels?

All traders phones are monitored its a dismissal offence to use a non-company phone for trading business.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How are they planning on monitoring use of private communication channels?

The article is titled "Weeding out crooked City traders". Assuming crooked traders will follow the rules is probably not very smart if you actually want to catch them. A bank can make a rule that people can't wear masks inside the bank, but bank robbers might choose not to follow it.

9. Youngone Silver badge

Could?" Won't!

I'm sure this tech could be used for weeding out crooked traders, but will it?

Hell no, not if any influential people or large financial institutions with ties to the establishment are likely to be caught.

10. William Donelson
    Stop

I have a dream: BANKERS in PRISON.

Small time crooks can go to prison for years. Big bankers who steal millions or even billions are often just fined, which their customers eventually pay. The only way to stop these criminals is Prosecution and PRISON terms.

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

It might be effective.

Trouble is that would drop investment bank profits down to "absurd" from "obscene"

And you can bet no management wants that.

12. macjules

Or take them on a trip ...

Personally I find the best way to sort the dishonest ones out is to invite them to lunch at Coq d'Argent restaurant on the roof of No 1 Poultry, ... and see which ones jump off :)

13. JimC

Privacy - you what...

"With big data analytics, there is the temptation to use the technology to build up a precise profile of each individual traders' behaviour and practices. However, intrusions into individual privacy must be proportionate and necessary to comply with data protection laws."

Hold on. This is about what the traders are doing on the company's time, with the company's equipment, with the company/customer's money and on the company's salary. Why should there be an expectation of privacy? Surely their management is entitled to ask for a precise profile of behaviour and practices any time they like, or do they work on very different terms to the rest of us, and if so why?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Privacy - you what...

by and large you are right - but there are some countries where legislation on an individuals right to privacy trumps those concerns. I dont know but I suspect that German is one of those countries. However in the UK you're pretty much under the panopticon (as you should be)

14. Keven E.

Watch this

"All traders phones are monitored its a dismissal offence to use a non-company phone for trading business."

Even before GPS became public, a cellphone signal and the camera locked onto each trader were bound. Any attempt at buying a prepaid cell from the local five-n-dime was considered uncivilized... <tinfoil>

The mere thought of the day-trader trading in after hours sessions with his own cash means that person is by default dishonest... not just moonlighting?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like