back to article Photoshop daddy: 'I’m not happy with body image issues it creates for a lot of women'

This week we looked up to the stars, scrutinised a spectacular security cock-up and speculated on a quarter century of photo-doctoring. In the process, we ended up with some great quotes. The biggest story of the week was the discovery of flaws in Superfish, a little-known image analyser Lenovo had slipped into its consumer …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The before and after look the same apart from the position of the brightness nob.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Mostly, there's a tweak to the hue (possibly also the colour balance). The point is very valid however, for a fashion shoot there would be a lot more work done. Eyes would be brightened and saturation increased (the technique for touching up eyes often involves just working on a small 'pie slice' then duplicating and rotating it to fill the full eye, saves time). Any skin blemishes would be removed then the skin softened and lightened with a tweak the the hue if needed. Lips are reshaped. Teeth are whitened and straightened. Hair is tidied up. There would also be substantial tweaks to overall shape, tummy tucked, balloons inflated etc.

It's not something I ever felt I wanted to do. I know some photogs make some pretty amazing pictures even better in post, but usually by highlighting what it already there, i.e. removing superfluous information to highlight the focal point. Personally I haven't used photoshop since lightroom came out. That said, it's all down to what people buy \ want to see.

2. veti Silver badge

There has been some quite serious tweaking of the colour balance. Also look closely at the model's forehead.

That said - Mr Knoll is surely aware that "airbrushing" used to involve - well, actual airbrushes, right? Photoshop makes it less skilled and less messy, but he didn't create something new here.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That said - Mr Knoll is surely aware that "airbrushing" used to involve - well, actual airbrushes, right? Photoshop makes it less skilled and less messy, but he didn't create something new here."

Now come on: he could have compiled "Krita" first, and used that to do the touch ups. Now that would require some effort and asbestos legs whilst the compiler does its stuff on his laptop.

Maybe he simply scragged some stock fots from somewhere instead and used MS Paint- who knows.

Cheers

Jon

1. Rampant Spaniel

He didn't create a new concept, he did however increase the range of what could be done and make it a lot more feasible. Minor work could be fine in a dark room, dodging and burning, colour balance, even using vaseline on the enlarge lens to blur detail. To go beyond that required huge amounts of skill and time. If you wanted a tuck in a waist it wasn't just a minor tweak and magic fill, you'd pretty much have to print it (very) large, manually cut and draw then shoot your doctored image. It is possible (especially with e6 or slide film) to draw directly on slides, easier with an 8x10 than 35mm, but still requires an amazing artist. Any hoon can doctor an image now, just move a slider and click a wand. It's massively abused at all levels now unfortunately, it's the tobacco / star filter of the modern age.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

It's curious how we use 'Photoshop' as a verb, when 'airbrushed' has very negative connotations... as in 'airbrushed from history':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_images_in_the_Soviet_Union

1. Oninoshiko

"Photoshopped" is (rightfully!) getting the same connotations as "airbrushed," AFAICT.

Anyone else think the "before" looks far better?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Anyone else think the "before" looks far better?

I can't tell under the JPEG compression artefacts.

Thinking of 'Men Behaving Badly', of a nudey magazine: "How you can fancy her?! She's got a staple through her boob!"

2. jonathanb Silver badge

Better, yes, but not far better, they are basically the same apart from colour balance.

2. Bucky 2

I'm being oppressed!

Those pictures of Chris Hemsworth in that Thor movie are giving me sad feelings because I don't look like him.

Unfair! Unfair!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: I'm being oppressed!

Don't worry - just impress women with your Nordic-ness in different ways; develop a taste for fermented fish and ignoring people in wooded areas, for example.

We're here to help!

3. Robert Grant

This from the guy who couldn't decide between making a $350 watch and a $5,000 watch.

Not to mention the fact that the colour isn't that important (or hard) from a design point of view. Making sure your phone's aerials can't be bridged by holding it normally, now that's a design issue.

Also: iPhone C comes in different colours. What's the difference?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like