back to article A billion things are already on the IoT: Verizon

Verizon reckons the Internet of Things is no longer a “nascent” market, reporting that there are already more than a billion devices out there running business-to-business IoT operations. In its “state of the market” report (free with registration) covering the IoT in 2015, the company predicts that the B2B IoT space will pass …

1. William Donelson

And only 60% of those are broken

And only 60% of those are broken

2. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

And furthermore...

IT pros asked to implement IoT strategies need to assume they have to build-in security from the start...

Assuming they should is a far cry from actually doing so. As quite a number of El Reg articles have shown, not all developers are on this same page. Also, it is inevitable that vulnerabilities will be found in all of these devices. Being able to update them and verify that they are patched is going to be one of the larger challenges offered by the brave new world of the IoT. Considering the examples of the various hardware and software vendors out there now, I believe I have only seen a worse case example in Adobe. I don't believe I have run into any that I would label "best."

1. Christian Berger

Re: And furthermore...

Well plus there are certain hard to overcome limits. For example you may not have the resources to have full blown TLS connections, either because your microcontroller is to limited or because your company has chosen to use a system like Nucleus which takes 90% of your RAM for itself.

Combine that with the average qualification of a programmer and the fact that some of those companies are designed to scare away their most qualified staff, and you will see why this will be a disaster.

3. DNTP

Anyone remember that joke from the '90s about "Lets put SNMP reporting on the coffee maker just to see what happens"? Yeah that is pretty funny especially considering that people are now doing this with everything totally non-ironically, but actually I am sad inside because I just realized how old I am.

1. Down not across

Anyone remember that joke from the '90s about "Lets put SNMP reporting on the coffee maker just to see what happens"? Yeah that is pretty funny especially considering that people are now doing this with everything totally non-ironically, but actually I am sad inside because I just realized how old I am.

I remember the CMU coke machine in the mid-80s. Admittedly IIRC it wasn't connected to the internet until early 90s. And it wasn't SNMP (unless that was added later) but finger.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Trojan coffee pot?

1. Down not across

Trojan

Ah yes, the framegrabber and xcoffee to see if these was any coffee in the pot in the corridor outside the computer lab in Cambridge (the real one). IIRC that was in early 90s as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like