back to article Apple: 100,000 lucky people can test our flaky iOS 8.3 code – report

In a shock falling-in-line-with-industry-practice move, Apple is to conduct a public beta test for iOS 8.3. It’s the first time Apple has run a public beta for iOS, although there is precedent in that Apple ran a scheme for a million users with desktop operating system OS X Yosemite last year. Rumours from 9to5Mac have it that …

1. M7S
    Terminator

Appleseed?

Now if there's a Landmate, I'm interested....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

AAPL copying MSFT is it?

1. ThomH

I don't see what Microsoft has to do with it: to my mind it's more "a shock falling-in-line-with-industry-practice move". But I'm very impressionable.

If you asked me to give the name of the company I most immediately associate with public betas, it'd be Google. But Google products can famously remain in beta for years after becoming freely accessible, production services.

1. jai

or charge a load for the dev hardware and then have the plug pulled

3. eSeM

"It’s the first time Apple has run a public beta for iOS"

Apple have run a public test on every release of iOS to date ..... it just wasn't officially called a beta test (as it should have been).

1. Big_Ted

If so I'm amazed how many bugs etc have been missed so often in the past including the last version.

1. eSeM

I was being sarcastic ....

I can't remember an iOS release that didn't require to be patched within a week or two.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
          Coat

Don't use sarcasm in the Apple forums!

@eSeM

Welcome to the structured beta release program. Now Apple will only subject the most willing and most knowledgeable to said beta releases. No more moaning when the latest iOS ruins the previous version. Remembering the maps fiasco here.... Maybe they will spare the unwashed masses the headaches?

sarcasm? Well, yes, it's the Reg... I can spew forth happily here

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like