back to article Why IP telephony is about more than just saving money

In the last few years IP-based voice communication has increasingly come to the attention of business managers. Internet-based voice communication has been around for years in a number of forms, some hideously cranky and others very effective. My personal watershed in the credibility of long-distance IP voice comms was …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

STOP!

If you are buying VoIP only to save money, then please don't bitch about call quality.

It costs a fair bit of money to set it up properly (decent network links with redundant routes, fully manage switches, decent speed routers, monitoring etc).

You will get savings, but it's not a simple as, ok we have a network, lets swap all our ISDN's, because without the backbone, you will hit all sorts of issues.

However once done, and done properly, then the savings can rack up, especially if you are bouncing calls around the world, consolidating offices and doing follow the sun support.

Flexibility is it's primary beauty, cost saving come after the investment. If you are suffering drop outs and sounding like Darlek's, then you need to address you network.

1. James Pickett

Re: STOP!

"sounding like Darlek's"

Sounding like Darlek's what..?

1. pompurin

I think you could have mentioned quality as well.

In the Video world we're moving on to 1080p and above.

In the Audio world we're stuck on 64kbps with terrible frequencies. Ever tried to listen to someone readout a postcode and tell the difference between an F and an S? Most people can't.

IP voice internal to an organisation is far superior in quality. External is hit and miss, usually miss.

1. frank ly
          Headmaster

The word is 'Dalek'. (Davros' Augmented Levitating Exterminator Kaled)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"In the Audio world we're stuck on 64kbps with terrible frequencies"

Speak for yourself, we use RT Audio Wideband internally.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/jj688118.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Probably we will move to SILK in the future which will include to external Skype contacts.

1. pompurin

"Speak for yourself, we use RT Audio Wideband internally."

As you'll see I stated that IP voice internal to an organisation is far superior in quality. It is when you leave the confines of your own organisation and need to talk to other people the quality will suffer.

3. P. Lee

64kbps is excellent - its the 9600bps mobiles that are horrible.

But yes, it can be cheaper, but do it properly and spend properly. You can't do it for nothing and expect good results. That QoS setup will cost, you can't just use your ADSL link with torrents (they seem to take a while to die down when you quit).

2. Nick Kew

Call quality is great

I've given up the landline altogether since moving house just under two years ago. Signed up with a SIP provider. That enabled me to bring my old number (known to friends&family, hidden from spammers) with me, and to have a "home" number I can get on the mobile. Oh, and save a lot of money: I used to resent BT landline charges not so much for the absolute amount, but because they're so disproportionate when both data and "special services" (like caller display or call diversion) cost extra.

I did wonder about call quality, especially on the move. But my experience is that VOIP quality only starts to deteriorate in the same kind of circumstances as regular GSM suffers likewise. Like a train in a tunnel.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Latest Gartner UC Magic Quadrant for anyone that cares:

http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-1YWQWK0&ct=140806&st=sb

2. madmax4

and oneday when your small company grows a bit and moves to bigger premises you have zero voice downtime. Just be careful of vendor lock-ins where an extra IVR is £5/month, and extensions are charged per user and so on....vendors LOVE making money from voice addons.

If you have the capability, use something you own (perhaps asterisk etc) and manage yourself, and choose your inbound and outbound providers for numbering/outgoing calls (and leave them if you are unhappy, its just a sip trunk afterall)

5000 extensions? scripted, up and running in 3 minutes Sir. We live in interesting times

1. david 12 Silver badge

zero downtime

>and oneday when your small company grows a bit and moves

>moves to bigger premises you have zero voice downtime.

We down't get zero downtime from our VOIP system even staying at the same premises.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: zero downtime

"We down't get zero downtime from our VOIP system even staying at the same premises."

Nope, but you should be getting 5 9's. If not, why not?

3. Alpha Tony

Wait... what?

Did I hit 88 Mph on my morning commute and travel back to 2004?

1. Joe Harrison

Re: Wait... what?

This certainly is old stuff but there are a couple of new angles...

VOIP clienting needs reasonable processing power and I would say that it's only recently that your average smartphone has got enough CPU to do it properly. Yes I too was bodging it on a PDA in 2004 but a modern phone does it much better.

In 2015 wi-fi providers have started to be more aware of traffic optimisation. Some hotels and coffee shops seem to be able to prevent me from registering Csipsimple with my SIP gateway. Skype-Out seems a more difficult problem for them.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, the reverse cloud moment

Old-style telephony, the one that works without standards problems, network QoS issues and so on, classically has its intelligence centralised, and often can be, and in the very old days, had to be by law, fully outsourced. Old-style telphony is what "the cloud" in other IT really want to be, VOIP proposes swinging that around, pushing the intelligence to the end points. That's the issue that has created the difficulties of getting to this point in its evolution, and conceivably the reason it could well have its moment.

But I wonder how many people are actively pursuing a cloud strategy on the one hand while pursuiing an anti-cloud telepony strategy on the other. It may be worth while thinking about this architectural aspect when thinking about VOIP.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whither ENUM?

Note the use of the term IP telephony - that only means your handset uses the same wiring as your PC. That is not the same as the original promise of true telephony "freedom". SIP/IAX go some way towards that but a little digging within the UK will discover that ENUM isn't happening.

For the uninitiated, ENUM provides a reverse DNS for a traditional style phone number which would mean that a PBX could make a direct connection to another PBX without a telco in between, provided both talk SIP/IAX which would become rather common if ENUM was available outside of an internal setup.

Funnily enough there are no registrars for ENUM in the UK and I have been told by Nominet that none will happen for the foreseeable. Search "ENUM Nominet" and then try contacting them and see how far you get.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whither ENUM?

"Note the use of the term IP telephony - that only means your handset uses the same wiring as your PC"

No it doesn't. Our IP telephony uses an entirely separate physical network from our PCs. It usually means that your telephony connection to the desk is via TCP/IP, but it could also refer to inter site connections via VOIP.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It usually means that your telephony connection to the desk is via TCP/IP, but it could also refer to inter site connections via VOIP."

Think you'll find most use UDP, not TCP; after all, no point retransmitting voice traffic.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Think you'll find most use UDP, not TCP; after all, no point retransmitting voice traffic."

Firstly, you obvious don't know what you are talking about as UDP is a part of the TCP/IP specification. Secondly I think you will find you are wrong:

There are at least three significant issues with using UDP:

1.It is not encrypted, so you can’t ensure end to end security of SIP messages. There are privacy/security issues of sending SIP ‘in clear’. Furthermore, UDP allows for easier spoofing of packets since connection state doesn’t need to be maintained (remember Slammer?....UDP). This is why VOIP customers are strongly recommended to accept TLS over TCP as the default SIP transport within a Lync network.

2.UDP has a fundamental flaw for large SIP messages: the size of the UDP datagram is limited to 1500 bytes, so a SIP message larger than that will be broken into two or more packets. The application layer (client or server) can receive the fragments out of order or a fragment could be lost (see 3 below). Since Lync SIP messages tend to contain various XML bodies, machine generated unique IDs (e.g. GRUUs), ICE candidate attributes, (etc.) they will normally span multiple packets.

3.UDP is a "fire and forget" protocol: this is to say that the transport layer does not consider lost or delayed packets. The onus of tracking messages for which no response has been received (and the generation of new requests) is left to the application layer: this leaves the application (the client or the server) vulnerable to overload situations. In bad network conditions, the best case scenario is a call setup delay. The worst case scenario is that the SIP network can reach a tipping point where the session timers are tripping for every transaction because the network elements are busy generating, or responding to, "retries" – a so-called "retry storm".

A commercially deployable enterprise communications solution must, at the very least, be secure, reliable and scalable. UDP presents challenges in all of these areas and the SIP RFCs allow us to choose from alternative SIP transports. Within the Lync network we should use TLS, and at the edge of the network we can interoperate over TCP.

6. MacGyver

VOIPity VOIP VOIP

What happens to your phones when your power goes out? What about when you loose your PS in your VOIP switch? When your IOS update for your media gateway goes south? Or when a user sets their BYO phone to the gateway's IP? There are also a lot of hidden yearly costs with licenses and the price differences from one tier to the next can be steep. Do you have a team of people always available to reset your users voice-mail pins? If you out-source the install and setup, how much are they going to charge you to add one more phone later, for adding a new area-code rule, another telco trunk?

I'm all for VOIP, but running your own phone network is a lot like being your own pilot, it's great if you're good at it. It does allow you to do some cool stuff, but you need to have techs that know what they are doing.

1. Billa Bong

Re: VOIPity VOIP VOIP

While that's broadly speaking true, it's not hard to train someone up, and if you have cash to burn it's even easier to find someone who in a single day can look over your existing kit and tell you what you need. All it cost us was a PoE switch and a UPS to power the PBX server (which a low power job), PoE and anything else on which the PBX relied. But then we also backed it up with a duplicate configured PBX at a separate location - press the button and everyone is back online (only from home or on their mobile instead of desk phone). It's a DR success story!

2. Charles 9

Dealing with power failure is simple; the phone companies do it: attach it to a backup supply.

3. Lee D Silver badge

"What happens to your phones when your power goes out?"

You put UPS on anything critical. Your average 48-port PoE switch will stay up for a good hour off a run-of-the-mill UPS, and if you have high-end switches they can run off DC sources and even failover/redundant power.

Sure, analog phones do stay up but that's because BT put battery backups / external supplies into their cabinets for you. They are not guaranteed by any means and I imagine they've cut back a lot on them in the modern era. If you want redundant power, supply the system with redundant power. If you want backup power, supply the system with backup power. You're already paying BT to do so, you've just brought it in-house.

The cost savings alone allow you to do this for any serious deployment anyway. And precisely how much business are you going to do if your customers can ring you but you can't make a sale because all the PC's are down too anyway? Nowadays landlines staying up is only a business issue, not a life-critical issue - if you're going to lose business if the phones go down, ask BT what guarantees they will provide you on the external line (hint: few).

At least with VoIP you can move the whole outfit - with phone numbers, softphones, SIP connections, etc. to the other end of the country with one click.

"What about when you loose your PS in your VOIP switch?"

See above.

"When your IOS update for your media gateway goes south?"

You have redundant gateways for that business-critical system, no? And tell me what you'd do if your old phone system went south before?

"Or when a user sets their BYO phone to the gateway's IP?"

Your network switches kick in and deny it? But, hey, what's an unauthenticated user doing being able to tinker with IP settings and then plug in random devices anyway? And if they have, that's what disciplinary procedures and IT acceptable usage policies are for. What if they set their PC to be the main gateway IP? Same thing.

"There are also a lot of hidden yearly costs with licenses and the price differences from one tier to the next can be steep."

Agreed.

"Do you have a team of people always available to reset your users voice-mail pins?"

Did you have that on the alternative systems?

"If you out-source the install and setup, how much are they going to charge you to add one more phone later, for adding a new area-code rule, another telco trunk?"

How much would BT charge you? And adding a phone is more than just buying a phone anyway. You have network capacity to think about, licensing, setup, etc.

There are arguments for and against VoIP, but many of them are just a push from BT doing this stuff for you (or putting it in their exchanges/cabinets and charging you) to you handling it in-house. If you don't want to handle in-house, outsource to a remote softphone provider who'll worry about all this for you.

I work in schools and they are now almost exclusively VoIP. The cost of running all the old junk and the presence of network cabling and leased lines everywhere just means you're paying twice. Literally, in my last school we started with one phone and by the end of the year, we'd moved every extension but one (a confidence-inspiring analog line for 999 calls) to VoIP. Then we looked into SIP for outside connections as we had a leased line already.

The next school I worked in - same. Next-to-no VoIP when I arrived, almost exclusively VoIP now and once our leased line is installed, onto SIP. According to our telephony suppliers, that's a pretty normal path to follow nowadays. Sure, it's not "perfect" but the cost savings alone in not having to pay a guy for running a bit of cheap copper around the walls following the network cable that's already there anyway soon recoups that.

If you want independent systems, have them. But people still move to VoIP because the advantages are all there too. Personally, I'm about to buy a VoIP router for my house - when you consider that I need a new wireless router anyway, the VoIP feature is £50 on the price, I have it all wired, I don't have active BT lines in the house anywhere, but I do have networking everywhere, and I can set up the same in my girlfriend's family home abroad so we can have "free" calls to them, it's a no-brainer. Hell, I can already powerline-network out to the shed - just slap a £20 sip handset out there. It's cheaper and more reliable than DECT! And I don't have to buy some fabulous PBX to do things like put calls on hold, filter them, send them to other handsets, have multiple phone numbers and lines, etc.

1. MacGyver

I didn't intend to make my questions sound like actual questions? I know all too well the virtues of UPS (and their 5-10 year lead-acid battery lifespans). They were meant to be more of a heads-up to the VP that says "hey we should switch to VOIP?" when they long ago out-sourced their tech staff to some temp agency and now have zero technical staff on-site. I have seen many places where some pseudo-tech-savy department head gets taken out to lunch by a gentleman in a nice suit selling Cisco phones and comes back with lofty ideas about how all we need to do is buy this $4,000 router and we will all be running VOIP tomorrow.

I was going for more of a devil's advocate roll.

2. Alister

BT put battery backups / external supplies into their cabinets for you.

Um, no, they don't. the line is powered from the exchange, 50V DC with 80V AC ringing current. The exchanges have nice big diesel gen packs though.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There are other providers than BT. Some are even better....

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What happens to your phones when your power goes out?"

What happens now? Analogue PABXs also all need power.

"When your IOS update for your media gateway goes south?"

Make sure any upgrades to dependent gateways for your Lync servers are properly tested before you bring them back into service. And only upgrade one at time so that the redundant path remains active.

"Or when a user sets their BYO phone to the gateway's IP?"

Your NAC should prevent that, and no one should have critical hardware running on end user accessible subnets. Your Lync servers / any other gateways and load balancer should stay within the datacentre.

1. MacGyver

We can go round and round all day. Who keeps the 802.1x certs updated when they have no staff? What does a company with one media gateway "test" the new IOS on? How does a small company ever hope to have the ability to test a new IOS and how it will react with all the different daughter cards they may have installed? In most places the idea of a "spare" Cisco 3945 would cause the IT guy to laugh out loud.

I was not trying to sway anyone away from VOIP with its "insurmountable problems", I like VOIP, I think people should setup VOIP in most places, I was just trying properly weight the con side of the argument. The article will send a marginally knowledgeable person racing straight to their IT department (or guy), so I was providing some real-world worries for them to chew on and think about. This site is read by both SAs and managers alike is it not?

7. Billa Bong

Saving money

We had a Mitel system in one office and ditched it in favour of something else when it became clear that we needed an organisation wide system to cover many offices and remote workers.

Asterisk is a great project and it's well worth looking into the many commercial systems built on it (some of which are charge free for basics and then billed for support or super functionality). And if you need something extra special, it has the capability even if you have to get a consultant or better DIY.

8. Lee D Silver badge

It's a shame that those VoIP-based call centers can't get their act together though. Many's the time I hung up on them saying "Sorry, but I can't hear a word you're saying, and it's not a problem my end for sure". Some of them were even trying to sell me VoIP products! Sure as hell wasn't going to touch them if they can't sort out their own problems!

VoIP is a good-sell. I'm not sure about the licensing of many things, the hotdesking licences for my Mitel system are stupendous for instance, and to put a simple Wifi-based VoIP wireless handset into my system costs more than my entire system cost in the first place (and I already have blanket wireless coverage, I was just looking to put in a roaming handset for myself).

But VoIP is the only way forward. We knew this ten years ago.

1. Tom 38

It's a shame that those VoIP-based call centers can't get their act together though.

There are no non VoIP call centres.

9. eesiginfo

Still paying for telephone calls?

France dumped that system years ago.

VOIP 'is' the telephone network, so calling pretty much anywhere in the world is free of charge.

The only disadvantage, is that you have no excuse for ending the 2 hr call to Australia, because it free.

It does seem weird that just across the channel, people are still actually paying for telephone calls.

Who have thought that France could be so far ahead of the UK (a decade)?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still paying for telephone calls?

"Who have thought that France could be so far ahead of the UK (a decade)?"

Since the UK has been about 20 years behind Sweden I can't say I'm surprised.

In the UK it mostly depends on some extremely unhealthy oligopolies locking customers in to be fleeced. BT has played it well so far, if "playing it well" means screwing over people.

10. Crisp

VoIP?

Most internal PBX boxes are using it already aren't they?

I've got a Cisco ip phone 7945 on my desk for voice and video calls.

11. K

we had a Mitel 3300 phone system with External HotDesk licences.

Being a call center our PBX is business critical, but manufacturers just take the piss, you need a licence for a phone, another for the user, another for each SIP trunk...

... buy a decent Asterisk based PBX and you'll never have to worry about licensing.

12. rhydian

VoIP is fine...

Until you move out to the countryside, where internet bandwidth is at a premium, and ADSL reliability takes a nosedive.

Yes an ISDN30 old and expensive, but its pretty much bombproof. No contention issues if the exchange is overloaded, no waiting for BT Wholesale to fix the DSLAM in the exchange (again) and most telcos regard them as a priority.

1. P. Lee

Re: VoIP is fine...

>Until you move out to the countryside, where internet bandwidth is at a premium, and ADSL reliability takes a nosedive.

You always still have a PSTN gateway, but you move as many people off it as you can. A slightly higher internet connection is going to be cheaper than multiple landlines.

For home users, Fritzbox looks cool. I've no idea if its any good, but ADSL, DECT and VoIP in one box? How good is that!

1. Christian Berger

"For home users, Fritzbox looks cool. I've no idea if its any good, but ADSL, DECT and VoIP in one box? How good is that!"

Those seriously are the best consumer routers you can get. And unlike some others AVM actually writes their own firmware. They just work and do what they are supposed to do. Certainly a far cry from those "lets skin an old version of the firmware we got from the chipset manufacturer 2 years ago" companies out there.

2. rhydian

"You always still have a PSTN gateway, but you move as many people off it as you can. A slightly higher internet connection is going to be cheaper than multiple landlines."

Out here, internet connections come in two flavours: Expensive or Unreliable

Unreliable is the current ADSL link. Approx 6mbit, so not the worst around, but the local exchange, despite serving a sparsely populated area, regularly suffers contention. Add to that past experience of losing ADSL for two days versus an ISDN line that only seems to die if we suffer direct lightning strikes and ISDN wins on unreliable.

Yes we could go for a leased line, but a 2mbit (burstable to 10mbit) leased line here costs over £1,700 a month (no, that isn't a typo). Our 12 channel ISDN30 is around £170 a month so is a no-brainer for us.

We've deployed VoIP/SIP trunks at other offices (usually those with FTTC) and it works well. If we ever get FTTC/FTTP service to our main office then I will probably bin the ISDN30, but until then it can keep solidering on.

2. Christian Berger

"Yes an ISDN30 old and expensive, but its pretty much bombproof."

Well you are lucky, in Germany the first carriers are letting their ISDN equipment rot. So it's not uncommon to have frequent line breakdowns... or even occasional crosstalk between channels. (How is that even possible on ISDN? And no, I can rule out analogue crosstalk as the A/D-conversion happened in a controlled place far away from any analogue phone line or people speaking.)

1. rhydian

"Well you are lucky, in Germany the first carriers are letting their ISDN equipment rot. So it's not uncommon to have frequent line breakdowns... or even occasional crosstalk between channels. (How is that even possible on ISDN? And no, I can rule out analogue crosstalk as the A/D-conversion happened in a controlled place far away from any analogue phone line or people speaking.)"

It seems that in the UK the ministry of defence has basically told BT/Openreach that they can't kill off ISDN, so we still get a decent service. Our only issue was last winter when violent lightning storms cooked our ISDN30 termination unit at least twice. It seems the standard surge protectors that would be fitted to an ISDN line aren't fitted to ours as the attenuation penalty would be too great for the line to function. Luckily we're on next-day fault repair as standard.

13. Roland6 Silver badge

>"I should have been more proactive and said: “Forget what you have now and don't worry about what might or might not be possible. Tell me what you'd really like the new system to do.” "

Yes you should have been more proactive, however asking users what they want the new system to do is not a very good question, as users (like most people) will still focus on their experience with today's technology. However, asking them about how they work and what they would like to do different gives far more interesting and revealing answers. Remember, as a technology consultant/advisor, you are the person who knows what technology can do: off-the-shelf, with a little clever tailoring, a lot of bespoking, and what's still in the future.

14. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Emergency Services

Just be careful with moving your phone number around the UK. If you're making a 999 call, the emergency services like to know "where" the number is in case your call gets cut off. With mobiles and landlines it's easy for them to trace back to the billed address.

Oh, and if you're providing wholesale VoIP to a business/site, always make sure there's a way for people to call the emergency services. When doing VoIP roll-outs, we tend to leave fax machines on normal exchange phone lines and make sure there's a basic corded phone nearby to use.

(This applies not just to VoIP but to traditional telephony too.)

15. Tom 38
    WTF?

if you have had a proper lightbulb moment you should be thinking: “Who needs a number?”

I had to re-read the sub line to check whether this was a Steve Bong article.

16. Christian Berger

Voice quality actually isn't much of an issue

I work at a VoIP company and I have to say the vast majority of the phone calls are excellent, even when people use LTE as their Internet uplink. Of course there are the occasional "bad connections" particularly with some participants, but over all that's a complete non issue. Calls are as good as ISDN.

What's more of a problem is bad CPE, some customers use really bad soft switches.

As a rule of thumb, if your equipment does not have the manual on the vendors web site, don't buy it. Chances are the vendor wants you to get it configured by a "certified partner"... which means it'll be configured by a sales droid with no technical understanding.

The minimum when buying a softswitch should be a trial offer of the software. So you can try it out before actually buying it. Most vendors do this. Also get the cheapest offer from your VoIP company, those are often free, or just an Euro a month, but run of the same equipment the big ones do. That way you can set up a complete test installation.

In any case install a mirror port between your softswitch and the Internet. That's important so you can provide pcaps to your VoIP company in case of any problems.

That's particularly important if you use exotic/crap devices from certain vendors also mentioned in this article.

17. thx1138v2

And it makes surveillance sooo much easier...

...wherever you are. No more mucking about at the phoneco and worrying about all those twisted pairs and all that. No reason the phoneco needs to know.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't think the phone companies minx you going voip either.

They still provide the uplink to fhe PSTN for youf firm. You still need that since little old customer Ethil isn't gojnv to leave the pstn anytime soon.

More importantly though... voicd makes little money for them. Tbey are all aboit access and security and other services now.

Your savings only really start when you begin to federate your voice system to other companies. Once yout IT allows Lync (for example) calls externally you're laughing.

This article didn't mention the good old 999 problem of mandatory location identification for uk emergency calls...

1. Christian Berger

Well VoIP companies are a kind of federation service

The PSTN will, at least in Germany, be turned off by 2018, in fact some phone companies already route much of their internal traffic through VoIP. You can tell with the companies that do it badly (e.g. Vodafone Germany).

I wouldn't go to Lync or Skype since that's going from one walled garden to another one... with the exception that the one you are leaving is at least a bit regulated.

What I envision for the future is that future IP-PBXes send some form of alternative contact hidden in their voice frames. That way when you make the first phone call from A to B via your VoIP provider, you will be able to skip it and call directly the next time. After all, after 2018 all fixed line phones will be VoIP and the carriers already occasionally transmit the original IP-Address on their inter carrier connects.

19. kpanchev

As usual, businesses need to discover the wheel and the hot water... again.

I have ditched my landline back in 2005 and that was the best decision I have ever made. I am fortunate though that I get my internet access through cable and not DSL, but for the businesses that is not an issue.

There is another problem for them though, and that is the general availability of tech trained people. At the moment a specialist that knows their stuff is very difficult to come to, even if they have done all the training and have all the fancy certificates to show (believe me, I work in the education system and know how these certificates are obtained). On the other front as a contractor I have seen far too many "specialists" that have absolutely no idea what they are doing...

So my two pence: get the right staff (train the right staff) and start saving shedloads of money.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon