back to article Blackhat: Michael Mann brings an informed cybercrime yarn to the silver screen

You don’t expect much from a storyline that reads like a cyber remake of the cheesy classic The Rock – crime happens and only dastardly criminal taken out of lock-up by the Feds can stop it. But director Michael Mann has turned out a pretty decent thriller in Blackhat, even if it does take itself a little too seriously. For a …

1. (AMPC) Anonymous and mostly paranoid coward
    Terminator

So, the Mann is back

Haven't seen the film yet, but still have fond memories of the original Manhunter (based on the Red Dragon by Thomas Harris and later redone in the Hannibal Lecter franchise ) Public Enemies (with Johnny Depp as a very convincing and human John Dillinger) and good old Miami Vice.

The seriousness you refer to was always a Mann trademark and he usually pulls it off. I think it works better on television. But, I will go see the film just to see how well he handles a cyber-crime story. Thanks for the review.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: So, the Mann is back

Plus the soundtracks are generally excellent.

2. DN4

Hero

> Our cybercriminal blackhat hero Nick Hathaway is the hunky, chunky Chris Hemsworth...

And this is a good thing. If you are the hunky chunky type you can easily became a superhacker. It's just another superpower that goes along with flying, instant regeneration and shooting lasers from your eyes, and that's the message everyone needs to get.

1. dogged
      Meh

Re: Hero

Or maybe the lesson is that being intelligent does not somehow magically prevent you from eating protein or lifting weights.

Unless you care to offer evidence to the contrary?

3. JohnMcL

I thought you meant the other Michael mann, of hockey-stick fame.

4. Hazmoid
    Trollface

We know he is acting

Because no-one in Australia has internet access decent enough to be able to call yourself a hacker.

5. 27escape
    Unhappy

Super hacker, muscleman, martial artist and crackshot

American hackers are awesome!

This film was rubbish, from the flying around inside a microprocessor to show that something is being hacked to the hacker/killer character, then onto the FBI who only send 2 staff to trail said hacker around the world, to the predictable ending.

I would say it was a waste of time to watch but I happened to have some time to waste. However, I would in no way recommend it to anyone else.

Watch Kingsman instead, that's a lot of ridiculous fun.

6. Known Hero

Fell asleep

Although the film did interest me and I keep on see'ing it and want to watch it again, just can't bring myself to do it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like