back to article How many Watches will Apple flog? 20, er, 18.5, no, five, wait, 50 million!

With the Apple Watch allegedly just weeks away from going on sale, industry pundits are weighing in on their predictions for the Cupertino wearable. And boy, do those estimates differ, with wide ranges of price tags and sales figures. According to analysts, the Apple watch will be a hit, unless it's not, and its cost will …

1. ravenviz Silver badge
    Trollface

iWon't

"low-end rubber version of Watch will cost $350"

Great! I'll have nine^H^H^H^H none.

1. FrankAlphaXII

Re: iWon't

The $350 "low-end rubber version" sounds like the Swatch from hell.

I'll stick to my heirloom Rolex GMT that my grandfather passed down to me (and the only damned way I could afford one), thanks.

1. big_D Silver badge

Yeah, I'm kind of interested how the 18ct gold version will fair, when the owners go to hand that down to their heirs in 30 or 40 years...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Battery lifespan of 2 years and probably uneconomical to replace.

Utter trash just like most electronics these days.

1. Mage Silver badge

Battery run time of a day.

Battery life on AVERAGE of 2 years. Some may make to 3, some won't make it to 1.

The 2 years may be wishful thinking.

Will they try and sell extended Warranty for after the 1st year even though the SOGA says that it should last 2 years minimum (some things are expected to last 5 or 6).

1. Naughtyhorse

Does that factor in the 30% rate of 'oh fuck I forgot to put the stupid looking thing on charge last night'

makes google glass look stylish and relevant.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: in 30 or 40 years...

Won't they be ironically outdated, therefore desirable for the next generations of hipsters? Time to dig up my old Casio and try to sell it?

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

I don't know what world you live in, but I wouldn't any of my heirs get hold of an expensive watch, because it would end up being sold in the next boot sale for £5. That's not what I buy a watch for.

I have an expensive watch, wear it every day, and enjoy wearing it. That's what you buy a watch for. What idiot buys a watch thinking "and in 30 or 40 years I hand it down to my heirs"? These people don't exist. That's the most idiotic argument against an Apple Watch.

In the case of the Apple Watch, the idiots claiming that the battery is gone in one or two years should realise that an iPhone battery lasts much longer than that, and once it's no good, you go to an Apple Store and they put in a new one. That's what will happen with the Apple Watch as well. And on top of being good looking (you don't have to like them all, it's fine if you like just one and don't like all the others), that watch is _useful_.

For the gold watch (not gold plated, but gold), you pay $4,600 for the gold and $400 for the watch. In two years time you go to the Apple Store and they replace the watch for you.

Now I expect at least 20 thumbs down. Make it 30: Samsung "stalker" smart watch stinks.

4. John Bailey

"Yeah, I'm kind of interested how the 18ct gold version will fair, when the owners go to hand that down to their heirs in 30 or 40 years..."

Umm.. I think you mean months.

2. phil dude
    Joke

seatback...

Wot, did I stumble onto an issue of SkyMall?

Where's my genuine Ring Watch to Rule them All (in gold plated badger hair)?

P.

3. Ketlan
    Devil

Cheap as bloody expensive chips

'According to analysts...its cost will range from very cheap to eye-watering[ly] expensive.'

Nope, its cost will range from bloody expensive to mind-buggeringly expensive. Apple doesn't do very cheap.

4. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Happy

"According to analysts..."

Analysts - PML!! Thanks for that - it's been a hard week & I needed a good laugh.

5. Dana W
    Meh

Not for this Apple fan.

I"m an Apple fan, lots of Apple gear, but I own about two dozen, mechanical, and electro-mechanical (non Quartz) wrist watches, from thirty to one hundred years of age, I just can't see retiring them to wear a tinier screen for my iPhone on my wrist. Maybe I'm old fashioned, I don't know, but I can get any number of beautiful, classic watches for $350+ that will certainly outlive me, and could easily go on for a century. And one that will be obsolete in 3 years just does not cut it in comparison.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Not for this Apple fan.

Exactly, my Casio is still on its first battery, it is now 10 years old, so should need replacing soon.

My Seiko is coming up for 20 years old and cost about the same as the mid-range Apple Watches will cost. That should keep going for my lifetime and I can probably leave it to my heirs... I'm guessing an Apple Watch at 10 years is going to be a useless piece of junk metail, let alone at 50 or 100 years.

6. Nathan 13

I just cant see it taking off

I just get the feeling that this will not be something that people will rush out to buy or get that excited about.

1. Bleu

Re: I just cant see it taking off

I agree with you Nathan, but am afraid you are sadly underestimating the power of Apple brand mania.

Superior similar products are already on the market, but Apple merchandise to a fan is much as a Louis Vuiton (or however it is spelt) bag is to the sleazier teen here, except that the latter is more sensible, treating the designer gifts as a form of currency, which is why most of the pawn shops are full of 'designer' handbags.

I may buy a new watch in response, sure will get a new band for my old self-winding one, maybe buy a Casio data watch or recent pro-trek, anything but Apple.

Wait and see, it would be lovely if the Apple watch turns out to be a huge flop, but I fear that the cult-like nature of their fandom may prevent that desirable outcome.

7. Sealand

Oh come on - at least they dropped the health monitoring features.

Personally I'll be first in line to upgrade from not wearing an ordinary watch to not wearing a smart watch - whatever the brand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"dropped the health features"

Isn't that called 'bait and switch'?

2. Bleu

To Sealand

Beautiful sentiment, although I speak as one who wears a watch two or three times a week and am considering a return to daily use because checking time on the phone is a pain and too many public places have no clocks.

Sure as hell won't be turning to this overpriced throwaway battery-devouring monstrosity.

8. returnmyjedi

The thing with Apple is they always nail the first gen of product down perfectly. The original iphone worked brilliantly with every feature its competitors had (aside from 3G, a decent battery and a flash but who needs such things!). The iPad 1 was so magical it lasted a whole TWO years before it couldn't cope with new software that is much better than anyone could have ever wanted. And the original iPod's controls were so revolutionary they had yo be replaced with a new model less than a year later.

Anyone who isn't compelled to rush out and buy this superb little trinket I clearly bonkers in the but.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Did you forget the joke alert icon?

1. returnmyjedi

Are you suggesting that all I say is not true? They'll be a horde of zealots descending upon your manor forthwith!

2. Extra spicey vindaloo

Are you forgetting copy paste as well?

3. Russell Hancock

MMS? Installable apps?

1. returnmyjedi

I didn't think an /s or joke icon would be necessary, how wrong of me.

Unhappy

Oh well, we all make mistakes.

The problem with satire is that often the better it is, the harder it is to tell.

4. Bleu

I saw what you did there.

Nice.

9. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Bloody anal(ysts)

If they think that 50 millions suckers will go out and buy this POS.

Notice that Apple hasn't forcast any sales?

1-2 Milllion (for the die-hard Fanboi/FanGirl) is my estimate especially as once the 'This thing sucks' reviews start raining on us.

Total failure on the part of these so called experts.

I have to wonder ho many are preparing to storh Apple Stock? Big up a crap product and when the share price falls, they can make a killing.

Shoot the lot of em!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bloody anal(ysts)

As good an opinion as the analysts then?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty sure the fan boys will buy one. Stephen Fry will write some drivel about how beautiful it is.

As for the masses? unlikely given you need to be an iPhone user to use it. This takes us back to the days when an iPod was Mac only. Only when they opened it up to the PC market did sales take off.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

There are a lot more iPhone owners than there are Mac users, let alone Mac users in 2000.

Just saying.

11. Yugguy

Millions of people will buy one.

It will be very good but very expensive.

Then Samsung or someone will bring out something a bit cheaper but not quite as good.

Then TWENTY-TWO BILLION threads will start arguing the toss over expensive and good vs cheaper but not as good.

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Millions of people will buy one.

Followed by THIRTY GAZILLION threads pointing out that apple isn't that good just expensive.

2. Bleu

Re: Millions of people will buy one.

Err, I gather that Sony, Samsung, and the Pebble people, among others, already have superior products with similar intentions on the market.

I will love it if Apple loses its bet on its cult-like devotees guaranteeing this thing market success.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"According to analysts, the Apple watch will be a hit, unless it's not, and its cost will range from very cheap to eye-watering expensive."

Wonderful - and captures the 'Analyst as Old Lady in the Tent Reading Fortunes at the Fair' jive.

Actually we do have some ideas for these - and have prototypes running on the Motorola equivalent. But then we also ran a prototyping project using Glass. It worked well enough that our customer bought 125 of the beasts for a broader trial - 2 days before the announcement. Trial is going well and we will be picking up a few of the rather less attractive Sony version.

13. Bruce Ordway

Who wears watches anymore?

I'm just wondering who might buy watches anymore and why?

The only use I have for a watch is when I go hiking or camping.

Once I get civilized there are clocks and phones everywhere.

I have known a couple people who still like to wear watches as jewelry.

50 million?

1. tony2heads

Re: Who wears watches anymore?

Going out to the Karoo soon.

No phone signal, nobody else around. Use a watch.

There is no 'I' in desert areas

2. Bleu

Re: Who wears watches anymore?

I agree, I am in the hiking and 'as jewellery' camp for the time being.

14. briesmith

iWill but not Yours

Seems to me watches are bought as items of jewelery. If so, it won't be possible for Apple (or anybody else) to say, "this is how to build an iWatch". The design dominance they achieved with iPods, iPhones and iPads won't be possible.

My prediction? The iWatch will fail. Apple will fiddle about with it for a couple of years then they'll start to licence it to Longines, Rolex, Accurankle, Swatch and the like who will incorporate the iStuff in their designs. Then it'll work.

15. RudeUnion

Haters gonna hate the watch until they want one. Whatever. All that shows is when a good idea comes up you're the road block in your life. I like competition so let them all fight it out. If Apple succeeds then it sucks to be you.

Downvoted for "haters gonna hate".

2. Naughtyhorse

downvoted for having your head up your arse

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

It'll be fun to read this thread in a years time. Should serve as a good yardstick for who has difficulty thinking.

3. briesmith

Knobbery

That's why the downvote.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like