back to article AMD to pair CPUs, GPUs with Intel's physics tech

AMD is partnering with Intel to improve the way its graphics chips can handle physics and other scientific calculations. Well, sort of. AMD's actually working with Intel subsidiary Havok, which the chip giant acquired last year. Havok operates separately from Intel to develop its Havok FX physics processing API, which allows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Phil Hare
    Paris Hilton

PS3 Confusion

How come most of the games on my PS3 - which uses an nVidia GPU - are labelled as using Havock? What have I missed?

Paris because I think my IQ is hovering somewhere around hers today. maybe it's time to start believing in God.

2. Stu
    Happy

Kudos to AMD

Kudos where due, the Havok engine is amongst the best known and revered.

Not sure if its efficient or well designed though, but if Havok can provide hardware abstraction in the same way as 3D graphics acceleration works, it means games physics can be interchangeable between hardware acceleration and software where no hardware acceleration is present.

Very cool!

But for the meantime, I'll be sticking with my Quad core Intel and my Nvidia 8800! ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Phil Hare

IIRC both the Xbox and the PS3 use ATI based designs, futhermore Havok is more of an API, like Direct X to allow for complex physics to be coded easier and be more realistic.

4. Gregg Bond
    Flame

In Other News....

Scientists in hell have managed to achieve 0 degrees Kelvin, Satan is quoted as saying "It's a trifle chilly".

5. Oscar

@Phil Hare

Because Havok has an SPE optimised version. You don't have enough spare processing power on either the 360 or PS3 graphics chips to do physics.

6. kain preacher

@Gregg Bond

Scientists in hell have managed to achieve 0 degrees Kelvin, Satan is quoted as saying "It's a trifle chilly".

They lied its really only 3ºK

7. Kaal Alexander Rosser
    Boffin

@Gregg Bond/kain preacher

Kelvin is an absolute scale. You don't talk about 'N degrees Kelvin', it's just 'N Kelvin'.

8. Chris

Graphics chips in consoles

The PS3 uses an NVIDIA chip, RSX. The Xbox 360 and Wii use AMD/ATI chips: Xenos and Hollywood.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like