back to article Ads! People! love! ads! in! their! apps! Please! use! ours! cries! Yahoo!

Yahoo! has released a set of tools allowing smartphone apps to use the web giant's Bing-powered search engine and serve up ads. The Purple Palace said its Mobile Developer Suite can be used to display Yahoo!'s Gemini marketplace and BrightRoll video ads (no, me neither). The suite bundles the Yahoo! App Publishing and App …

1. Ketlan
    Devil

Fuck ads and all who serve them up

'People! love! ads! in! their! apps!'

First AdBlockPlus claims that vast numbers of users love ads, now Yahoo. I've yet to meet a single person who wants ads, no matter who they're from

1. Mark 85

Re: Fuck ads and all who serve them up

The only folks who love and want ads... are marketing and sales types. They don't want them as on their mobe but on other's mobes.

This kind of thinking that everyone loves ads is going to doom apps, I would hope. But if the app is free, there will be those will just suck it up and try to ignore them. Unless the ad is for a new shiney.

1. ratfox

It's a weird thing… Companies like Google generally only make money if somebody actually clicks on their ads. Just displaying an ad does not earn them a cent. Yet they make a shitload of money, which must mean that somehow, there are people who click on a whole bunch of ads.

We must assume these people don't mind ads. And no, I don't know who they are either.

2. P. Lee

I like ads.

In very specific places.

For example, if I'm searching for a lawnmower on Amazon, feel free to sling me an ad on the same page for other lawnmowers which might be similar to the one I'm looking at, just as long as it doesn't impinge on the one I've selected for closer inspection.

If I come back and search for a DVD, however, I'm unlikely to still want to know about lawnmowers.

1. frank ly

@P.Lee Re: Fuck ads and all who serve them up

You might be interested in 'The Lawnmower Man'.

2. VinceH

"If I come back and search for a DVD, however, I'm unlikely to still want to know about lawnmowers."

And I certainly don't want to know about the same lawnmower that I have already bought, with the suggestion to buy it again.

3. Richard Jones 1
      WTF?

Another reason not to use a so called smart phone? Or perhaps a reason not to install dumb as a brick applications you really do not want. Most times adverts tell me nothing worth reading; I do not care to have my life style improved by, e.g. a pencil sharpener, I want my pencil sharpened by the damned thing. (Yes a silly example of the ad makers art but for the most part ads are stupid.)

If I am looking for a car I want a car to do a task so a specification would be nice, along with the costs and will it fit in with the tasks I need done. It will NEVER do anything for my so called 'style' so stop wasting my time already.

4. illiad

Ads do help fund many websites... BUT the secret of not having them blocked, is to make them UNOBTRUSIVE!!!

- NOT flashing

- NOT noisy or blocking what the user is doing.

- NOT (of course!!) rude, racist or any other 'oriible thing....

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No! We! Don't!

3. jake Silver badge

I! Have! Never! In! My! Life! Ever! Met! Anyone! Who! Enjoys! Advertising!

Except the marketards, of course.

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Stop

No! Possible! Comment!

Except, no, actually.

5. Michael Habel

Well this should...

Well this should instantly improve not only Yahoos Revenue Stream, But MicroSofts too! Since I see neither Apple Users, or Droid Users bothering to use this new wonderful Service.

6. Mystic Megabyte
    Stop

Car stereo

<rant>

I recently bought a car with a JVC stereo installed. When I switched it on/off it displays HELLO/SEE YOU.

What fecking idiot thought that I want to have a relationship with my stereo?

I don't talk to my fecking lawnmower or toaster or any other gadget.

</rant>

This same idiocy applies to the knob-heads who dump adverts into my life. I do not want a "personal relationship" with my brand of marmalade, so feck off!

The end result is that the stereo has been replaced, AdBlock+ installed and the marmalade is home-made.

1. tomban
      Joke

Re: Car stereo

The question is this: Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?

1. Triggerfish

Re: Car stereo @tomban

ha you beat me to it, I was just about to ask if he would like some toast.

7. SeanEllis
    Holmes

There's a very simple way to test how much people love ads: Do people pay more for apps with them, or without them?

8. Munzly The Hermit
    Trollface

Over the years I have learned to read web pages without either seeing or registering ads, even subliminally. I suspect I'm not alone in having acquired this talent. So stuff you advertisers!

9. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Sometimes...

...I click on ads that are relevant to a search for an actual product that I want to buy. I'm not averse to advertising that is

1) relevant

2) does not slow my elderly but still serviceable dual core laptop to a crawl

3) does not blink or flash (borderline epileptic)

Otherwise: noscript

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like