back to article Ukraine suddenly 40% more interested in UK tax info – HMRC

Cooperation between HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and foreign tax authorities will only increase as more countries sign up to automatic tax information exchange agreements. This is according to Pinsent Masons, the law firm behind Out-Law.com, which obtained figures showing a 45 per cent increase in the number of requests for …

1. JamesPond
    FAIL

It doesn't say how many requests HMRC made of other countries. Apparently zero of Switzerland.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Allocate resources that don't belong to you: Yes we can!

Even countries that do not have a desperate need to shore up their public finances

A nice euphemism for

"The goverrrnmental pirates have wrecked everything out of sheer greed, mismanagement and cronyism and need more. Disregard the multibillion-$CURRENY debthole, that's for the future (or for foreign taxpayers via the IMF)"

3. Warm Braw

Nice bit of sophistry

"Some will use the UK as a stable safe haven for their wealth, while others simply see the economy as attractive"

However, most find that buying "non dom" status is a great way to reduce their tax bill.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: buying "non dom" status

As far as I can tell, you can't "buy" non-dom status. However, if you are rich enough, it is easy enough to move your main residence(s) and money to some other country, and live there most of the time; a change of domicile is then easy enough to establish (or prove).

The UK is actually full of non doms - all those (non-UK) EU people you meet in the UK will be very likely be non-doms, as well as most other foriegners. However, most are employed on salarly or wage and pay tax PAYE regardless; the only thing is that income earned overseas (that stays overseas) might not be taxable.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/non-domiciled-residents

1. Warm Braw

Re: buying "non dom" status

Well, there is a fee, dependent on the number of years you have been resident in the UK, rising to a maximum of £90,000, in exchange for which non-doms escape UK tax on their overseas earnings. And presumably a fee worth paying for the very wealthy.

4. Don Dumb
    Stop

Cherrypicking the sample size?

From the story - "According to HMRC, 2,466 requests were made in 2013 compared to 1,701 in 2012"

So was 2012 a particularly low amount or 2013 a high amount? With only two sample points we have no idea if this is a sudden (and not neccessarily sustained) massive jump, an unusually low 2012 or the continuing trend. Perhaps even 2,466 requests is still much lower than usual.

Odd that we don't have statistics for 2014, why not wait until they are produced, at least we can see some *very* short term trend.

This is how hack journalists come up with scare stories or propaganda, pick insufficient data and make the claim that this proves something. But then I don't need to explain this to a tech site. No one here would take the writer's poor use of only two sample points as being worth anything, would they?

Tax collectors may be making more requests year on year but there's woefully insufficient evidence of that here.

1. Tom 13

Re: Cherrypicking the sample size?

What a ridiculously stupid post!

The agreement was only formalized in May of 2014. Even two data points is reaching for it.

As for the data for 2014 not being available, I find nothing unusual about that. We've only just concluded the year and it is not uncommon for government agencies to take a year or two to release such statistics let alone release them in under a quarter.

5. Anonymous Blowhard

HMRC interested in 40% of my salary

Bastards!

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: HMRC interested in 40% of my salary

Add to that the National Insurance your employer is paying and the indirect taxes we all pay on stuff we buy (VAT, fuel duty, excises) and it's well over 60%!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Look forward to that percentage going up in future, the 99% need new phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

To be fair, the 1% have had them for a long time

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

and want to know why the 99% are not answering theirs and coming crawling

2. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
          IT Angle

Actually the best description of today's economic climate is 10 people around a plate of 100 cookies, someone takes 95 of them, then he says to the other 9 "look that poor guy at the end is trying to steal your cookie"

Well with more high worth people moving their cash to the UK, we can look forward to 2 things

Average wages going up (actually for 99% of us wages will be static) and

House prices continue to boom upwards as the money is hidde.. sorry invested in property.

Perhaps a new moral for today should be "I dont mind paying my fair share of taxes if everyone else is forced to pay the same % "

6. phuzz Silver badge
    Trollface

"Relatively complex tax affairs".

That's a very polite way of saying "on the fiddle".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like