back to article Qualcomm bungs ARM's beefy 64-bit A72s into new mobe brains

Qualcomm today unveiled four additions to its family of Snapdragon system-on-chips – revealing the specs of some smartphones and tablets that'll appear later this year. Indeed, the California-based chip designer said its new Snapdragon 620, 618, 425 and 415 packages will turn up in gear shipping in the second half of 2015. …

1. JamesTQuirk

A American Firm, after the NSA crap ? , Chinese made Allwinner A80 with 16 core big/little, 64 core GPU's, a 80 core CPU ....

a example ..

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Mass-Manufactured-OctaCore-ARM-Cortex-A15-A7-Allwinner-A80-Android-4-4-Board/1021496_2015735541.html

American manufactured hardware is no longer required, by me, or for people I support ...

If you think I not worried about Chinese, you are right, they will win ...

1. returnmyjedi
    2. Steve Todd
      Stop

@JamesTQuirk

Do you know ANYTHING about ARM processors? The A80 is 8 core, yes, but using the older ARM V7 architecture that is 32 bit only. The A72 in the Qualcomm chips is rated by ARM as 3.5 times faster than the A15 (the "big" side of the A80), uses the newer ARM V8a instruction set and is full 64 bit. It doesn't even compete in the same market space as the A80 as the A80 has no in-built cellular modem like Qualcomm's chips.

1. JamesTQuirk

Re: @JamesTQuirk

well I know they are 8 core BIG 8 core Little, so 16 Core CPU ...

So haven't looked @ others in the link, on that page did look around ?, yes not all CPU's are 64bit, but look around, I not the research dept, I said it was example ...

I just like these allin1 boards, cause 64 GPU kills for video work ...

1. Steve Todd

Not according to Allwinner's web site, and given that ARM's design for big-LITTLE allows for up to 4 of each type, I'd suspect your information is wrong.

You're also lacking in understanding on how GPUs work. Not all GPU cores are equal. Just "having 64 GPU cores" doesn't make it a fast GPU, and GPU cores are normally useless for general compute tasks. The standard Adreno GPU has 128 ALU cores these days, but the PowerVR is a better chip. On the other hand it can't hold a candle to the latest desktop GPU cores.

The other point is that the Qualcomm models are designed for mobile comms devices (phones or pads), not All-in-one boards. Chances are that a lot of Chinese phones will contain them.

1. JamesTQuirk

http://www.allwinnertech.com/plus/view.php?aid=382

Still hunting through CPU Material, but I may have to give on 8 v's 16, but maybe I read it's a H/T .. :)

So BitCons can use GPU's to collect bullshit, I can't harvest it in a render farm ?

"On the other hand it can't hold a candle to the latest desktop GPU cores."

- it doesn't have to in bunches of 10 or 16,

"The other point is that the Qualcomm models are designed for mobile comms devices (phones or pads), not All-in-one boards. Chances are that a lot of Chinese phones will contain them."

Please tell google it's broken, hang on, let me check, http://trends.alibaba.com/markets/Mobile-Phones_5090301.html?spm=5386.7328877.1998096065.31&tracelog=consumer_mobile_phones_cat

and the build custom phones, but 1000 @ a time, time to deploy YOUR network !!

http://trends.alibaba.com/hot-products/Cheap-big-screen-android-phone-with-lowest-price-5_30003659949.html

Apparently Google is working now, guys in basement must have got to it ....

I was looking @ 1 or 2 of these ...

http://downloadt.advantech.com/ProductFile/PIS/DSP-8684/Product%20-%20Datasheet/DSP-8684_DS%2803.28.14%2920140520100024.pdf

1. Steve Todd

Anyone mining bitcoins with a GPU these days is going to be disappointed. They were surpassed by FPGAs some time back, and they were surpassed by ASICs. The GPU in the A80 tops out at about 68Mflops. The ATI 7970 desktop GPU has 2048 cores and tops out at about 3800Mflops. You'll need a LOT of A80s to match just one, and they aren't THAT much cheaper.

I'll say this once again as you're apparently not understanding. These chips are many times faster than the A80 for general tasks, contain most of what you need to make a phone (including 3G and LTE radio) and will be used by the Chinese in large quantities (think millions) for higher end phones.

1. JamesTQuirk

And your not getting it, either, those "boards" where a example, did you look around the page it was on ?, see some of other systems available, the Developers kits ? the Custom built phones or tablets built in lots of 1000 to your specs ?, no, still looking inside your windows box trying to prove it was worth it ...

I was just thinking out loud about options, I am not a salesbot for "alibaba", so I left it to you, to see the possibilities that are around ...

1. Steve Todd
                  FAIL

You seem to be trying to change the subject. Non of the A80 boards that I have seen are much less than £100 each, but they would need to cost less than £10 each to be competitive with a desktop GPU in terms of FLOPS/£.

Your original point was that the Qualcomm chips (also ARM based) wouldn't sell. My point was that they were much faster than the A80 you were holding up as an example of Chinese technology that was going to kill it, and that they were aimed at a different market segment (the A80 isn't really targeted at cell phones). Because of this I expect them to sell in huge quantities inside of Chinese cellphones (the Chinese don't really care where they get their parts from, just how they effect the saleability of their devices).

You also seem to be trying to make out that my attitude makes me a Wintel stooge. What? Saying that desktop is more powerful than mobile (demonstrably true) and that the Chinese don't make the best ARM chips makes me a Wintel fan? Time to take your head out of your arse.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like