back to article Linksys revamps WRT54G wireless router

Not everyone wants 802.11n Wi-Fi, it would seem. Linksys has revamped its venerable WRT54G Wi-Fi router, despite being 'limited' to the old 802.11g standard. Dubbed the WRT54G2, the new box brings the antennae inside a new, slimline case, a move that Linksys claimed would not "compromise the signal coverage". Linksys WRT54G2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jonathan Richards

Operating System?

The earlier WRT54G routers were based on a Linux operating system and could be amended (DD-WRT or HyperWRT) as mentioned. I believe some later WRT54G's were NOT Linux based, and I can see no information about OS for the WRT54G2 on the Linksys site. Does anyone know the answer?

2. Andreas
    Linux

Versions

There have been many versions of the WRT54G, as can be seen from the following link...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28all_the_rest_that_is_not_re-engineered_til_today.29

Yes, newer version don't run Linux, but that doesn't mean one can't re-flash them with custom Linux-based firmware like DD-WRT, Tomato, etc., although, as can be seen from the link, the much needed flash (and the less but still useful RAM) size has been reduced in newer versions, limiting their usefulness.

To overcome this, Linksys came out with WRT54GL (note the "L" meaning "Linux") which is basically version 4 with a slightly different CPU.

Call me whatever you want, but somehow I doubt that the new WRT54G2 will provide more flash (or RAM for that matter) than the earlier models.

3. Wayland Sothcott
    Boffin

Linksys miss the whole point, yet again

Linksys are in a battle against the very hackers who made the WRT54G possible in the first place. The reason the original was popular was it's Linux operating system, GPL code and hardware with 32MB Flash and 8MB RAM. The new device is cut right back with 8MB Flash and 2MB RAM in an attempt to stop us putting linux on it. Also they have removed the external antenna connectors so now you have to solder your own connectors on to use an outdoor antenna. Looking at the hardware they seem to still have an onboard switching regulator, which is required when running power up the Ethernet cable successfully.

So really what is the point of this device? You are better of using the compatible WHR-G54 from Buffalo for hacking. If you don't plan on hacking, there are better routers than the WRT54G which is pretty old now.

Linksys do make the WRT54GL which is the old style one with Linux that is there for you to hack. Unfortunately these just happened to be unreliable compared to the original units which can still be bought on ebay.

4. Daniel Palmer

@Operating System?

Linksys switched over to using vxworks near the end of the last generation WRT54G's... vxwork needs less ram and flash, so production costs go down.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I call you...

What is the point in retaining a niech only product without serving that nieche.. I call you a sceptic! I (could be wrong but) suspect that this product will suitable for DD-WRT it may even have more ram and better CPU! hey we can hope!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like