back to article Intel President Renée James says Chipzilla's diversity efforts are moving too slowly

Intel president Renée James has taken the company's diversity message to India, saying that women's challenges to reaching the C-level are the same on the subcontinent as they are in the USA. In an interview with The Economic Times' Corporate Dossier columnist, James said things hadn't changed in her 25-year career, and that …

1. Freimer

Tech

How about focusing on technology?

2. Ilsa Loving

Thank you

Thank you for your cliche misogynistic response, which is an excellent example of the problem Mrs. James is talking about.

3. Dan Paul

Too much emphasis on "diversity" instead of competency.

Forgive my "mysogenistic" viewpoint but there is too much emphasis being made on "diversity" in the workplace as if the employer could just solve that issue by waving a wand.

The problem is not the companies doing the hiring, but the schools and colleges doing the teaching and the students doing the learning.

Please show me a college that has a large body of competent female or minority IT graduates and I'll show you graduates with job offers. But you can't because they don't exist.

In the case of IT, the "Glass Ceiling" is strictly educational and directly influenced by a desire (or lack thereof) to learn IT, from minority students.

Having a liberal arts degree is not enough to be an IT guru. and certainly not enough education to be the CTO (unless you are the proverbial "Pointy Haired Boss" from Dilbert)

However if the minority student does not even choose to follow the path of technical education, (full well knowing there is a guaranteed job) how is that the fault of the prospective employer?

Let's settle this by removing all names and gender from resume's (cv's to you Europeans) when they come in to HR. Then provide a real world test example that proves competency.

Base ALL hiring decisions on that test and other company requirements.

Voila, no bias. But good luck finding candidates in the first place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like