back to article Australian government's 'cyber-security' review delayed

One day after Australia's prime minister Tony Abbott promised a more hard-line approach to national security, the government has delayed a cyber-security review. Over the weekend, the PM's YouTube channel carried a statement (video at the end of this story) in which he complained that Australia's treatment of immigrants-turned …

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Fucking Hypocrite

He likes to claim that he's stopped the boats, so if that's the case, there will be no immigrants-turned-terrorists.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fucking Hypocrite

He has stopped the boats, now he's just got to get the kids out of detention that Labor put there and job done

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Fucking Hypocrite

If he seriously wants to get the kids out of detention, maybe he should stop putting them in there as well.

2. P. Lee
    Facepalm

We must be even more extreme...

in our attempts to destroy, er, extremism.

By treating everyone as terrorists, we'll make sure no-one attempts to say things we don't like and everyone will love politicians! That'll work - no-one will think of circumventing our security by using gmail! Yay! Go Me!

Plus, the security of the our IT networks is absolutely critical. So we'll cripple NBN's fibre network rollout and replace it with, er, whatever Telstra was going to do anyway (and we'll give them a bundle of taxpayer cash, because, well, they're our kind of people) just in case someone might use new fibre networks to say mean things, organise unpleasantness or eat babies.

Yeah, Security!

3. poopypants

FFS

In 2013 Australia had 1,193 road fatalities. To combat this extreme public safety issue, we tolerate moderate legislation that requires us to have licenses to drive, and restricts how we act on roads.

It does not mandate permanently fitted devices that record the speed at which we travel, the time between signalling and turning or force us to take breath tests. No attempt is made to determine whether we know anyone who has been found to drive badly, or whether we play Grand Theft Auto V.

If the time ever comes when we lose 1,000 people per year to terrorist activity then, and only then, will it be reasonable to impose the level of restrictions and supervision that are currently imposed in an attempt to reduce the road toll.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I farted ,did you hear it ?.

I agree ffs ,the eyes have enough data & power to monitor those ' who need monitoring.

Surely the endless ngrepping on border routers since the 90's would have provided enough high risk targets,struth i think the norks and ruskies have been living on the routers for a while to !.

Its probably automated now so that it sends you a letter in the mail saying "your a naughty girl",now stop

that foul and troublesome shilacking.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What could possibly go wrong?

How long until "torrenting" becomes a "terrorist activity"?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And free public WiFi?

I'm curious:

a) whether free WiFi networks will need to collect the metadata (goodbye to all the non-telco ones if they do).

b) whether there's much use to collecting metadata about a free, unknown public user anyway.

And with those 2 issues, we may see the sudden end of free WiFi in Australia, or a massive boom in it's use.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon