back to article Wink if you want to see more of me, say Swiss boffins

Two years ago scientists from the École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) demoed a contact lens with a telescope built in, and they've now refined the prototype to allow the user to control its functions with the wink of an eye. "We think these lenses hold a lot of promise for low vision and age-related macular …

1. Mark 85

The last paragraph somehow makes this seem sleazier than Google Glass...it's a snooper's/stalker's dream. And then the FBI and cops will want them...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Squinting and the opposite, lifting the eyelid wide open (brows and all going up), should control the zoom.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Useful

A bit cyborg-like, but it seems a genuinely good idea.

What would be really nice would be if they could put the cability into the actual glasses - say to switch from short to long-sighted mode - then I could go for it.

1. JCitizen
      Terminator

Re: Useful

That's for sure! Can you imagine what a person would look like with silver irises? I shudders the thought!

4. VinceH

A contact lens rather than an eye - so a bit less complicated than the approach used in this documentary from the 1970s, then

5. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

A contact lens...

... which requires you to wear glasses?

So why not just put the eyelid tracking etc in the glasses in the first place?

6. Rustident Spaceniak

It'll be a popular product - with certain types.

I just imagine a guy wearing this thing while watching another tab the access key to some fancy apartment building (so obviously not the type where the access code is 4321). Will give security providers a whole new market.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon