back to article Online retail giant Amazon GOES TITSUP ACROSS EUROPE

The UK wing of online retail giant Amazon collapsed within the past hour, and netizens across Europe appear to be reporting similar outage woes. Outraged shoppers are – at time of writing – complaining that the service has completely buckled. Hui. #Amazon ist wirklich #down. Irre. pic.twitter.com/YmEAcMLSh4 — Wolfram Bölte …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry...

If you have Verizon FiOS over in the States chances are you will find you 'connection' being blocked at peak times as they get ready to roll out their own version.

1. asdf

Re: Don't worry...

Common carrier status will end the world doncha know?

2. Dazed and Confused

So it wasn't just me then

And I was ready to go and kick my end thinking that was were things were broken.

3. Mark 85

They obviously have some serious issues going on. I wonder how long it will take before either someone blames the NORK's or the Lizard Squiddies try to take credit.

4. Snowy Silver badge

8PM

and it is working for me

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 8PM

Up again for me too, I ordered a tripod mount for my Contour Roam2.about 15 minutes ago.

No sign of a confirmation email though...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 8PM

21:42 having a slumber party once more.

Up and down. As one of my colleagues used to say: flapping like a bride's nighty.

5. knarf

Kindle Fire Borked it

Reported my Kindle didn't have a network connection while it clearly did and offered to run a setup for a new connection. The connection was fine but Amazon was the problem, Stupid Amazon thinking if it can't call home then it can't have a network connection.

I can just image hoards of non-IT resetting their Kindle network connections to noavail.

6. Teiwaz

Damn 'mothership' connections...

Maybe, at some point some of these corporations will catch on that single point connections are a bad idea.

While people are still buying they won't.

The internet might have been designed to work around missing links, these devices clearly aren't

1. asdf

Re: Damn 'mothership' connections...

>While people are still buying they won't.

Except for that part where you can't legally get thousands of shows and movies (some even worth watching) instantly for about 8 bucks a month without a mother ship connection. I agree though when buying individual movies/shows.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Damn 'mothership' connections...

Aha, see where you are coming/going with that....

I was thinking pure usability in reference to people reporting issues with wi-fi connections etc. Not merely what you get from a subscription to some service which would obviously come from a single point (far be it from me to suggest they might benefit from some p2p tech to lessen the load on their own servers, but I guess Amazon can afford it).

Ok, you might pay a little more for a less brand specific phone or tablet, but you wouldn't have issues with it deciding to morph into a lemon just because it couldn't (???) by calling home, and you could still pay for your premium? content (be it Amazon or Playboy or whatever)

7. tin 2

ahhhh

wondering why Amazon.fr didn't seem keen to talk to me

i.e. it's still broken

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

When @AmazonUK goes down it makes the fire phone a brick, open any app and it tells you the phone not registered! Shocking!

Stay away from this central control shit.

Looking at the intermittently up home page, they went over it and besterified it yet again. Judging from the retarded ULTRA-LARGE/ULTRA-WIDE picture format newly employed that is currently de rigueur with every web designer priding him/herself on being irredeemably autistic and subscribed to all the premier webby lifestyle magazines, it suits them just right.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

" the retarded ULTRA-LARGE/ULTRA-WIDE picture format newly employed that is currently de rigueur with every web designer priding him/herself on being irredeemably autistic and subscribed to all the premier webby lifestyle magazines"

Does this remind you of anyone?

Let's hope the fad passes soon.

I assume the downvotes came from web designers.

2. Blitterbug
      Facepalm

'irredeemably autistic'

Have a DV for that appallingly un-funny 'gag'.

1. Sarah Balfour

Re: 'irredeemably autistic'

As a autistic person, have an upvote. To the 2 pusworms that downvoted you (and Syntax) may your scrotums (scrota?) be filled with the acid of a billion fire ants.

1. Blitterbug
          Meh

Re: 'irredeemably autistic'

Hey, DV away. My autistic son was pretty upset, though. But if that makes him and me pusworms, fair 'nuff I suppose.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. fruitoftheloon
      WTF?

@destroy all wankers

Dam,

Just as well that most autistic folk aren't narrow minded bigots eh?

Feel free to substitute the word autistic for your preferred racial/xenophobic insult...

Cheers,

J

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @destroy all wankers

Autism is a solemn sacred disease mostly because its the boogieman of affluent western white people. Malaria jokes are ok though.

9. Michael Souris

21:54 - still borked

Amazon.co.uk has been up and down like a whore's drawers this evening.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: whore's drawers

At least when they come down you expect to get some fun out of it...

10. Dick Emery

Down again

No joy here 22:05 GMT

11. smartypants

Digital snow.

Not sure why the shop went away. I do expect it'll be back tomorrow.

Expect the media to claim that 'billions' were lost in trading even though their customers will be back tomorrow to spend the money they couldn't spend tonight. A bit like when it snows... I.e not actually the end of the world.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Digital snow.

Millions were lost in taxes?

12. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

In other news...

The painting in the kitchen is finished.

I had a nice walk in the sunshine this afternoon.

My coding project is humming along sweetly this evening.

13. Thesheep

Fire TV

And I was trying to watch Bosch too... I might have to read the bloody books again at this rate. On the Kindle. Damn.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably a DNS attack by people pissed off with Amazon Logistics

15. Truth4u

they should buy all of their customers one of those corn holders

to say sorry (and/or thank you)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh. Our in-house data centre services are fine.

Stick your cloud up your arse.

1. asdf
      Trollface

for now

Your in-house data centre services are one bad executive hire from being in the cloud as well there Mr Smug lol.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Job Ad

Interestingly Amazon UK are looking for a new Head of Infrastructure - Linux scripting a must, apparently. Saw the ad a week or two ago.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Down again. 17.15 16-2-15

1. Law

Yup... Currently got zero service from two amazon fire TV boxes... Luckily got kodi running on both so kids can at least stream something from the nas box.

19. colin79666
    FAIL

Down Again

Browsing Amazon.co.uk until about 5 minutes ago and now it has gone again.

20. Borg.King

Probably my wife...

..buying more shoes. She's not working today so I would blame any DDoS on her.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Probably my wife...

DDoS - Delightful Decisions on Shoes?

21. Peter Danckwerts

Yup, down again

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like